1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying Prius with no cat

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by megatron, Jul 31, 2021.

1. megatron

megatron Junior Member

Does anyone here know how loud a second gen Prius is with missing cat? I’m looking at buying one from California and bringing it back to Seattle.

Do you think I can get away with driving it back all the way with no cat? Or would it be so obvious that I’d definitely get pulled over?

I don’t really want the added expense of shipping it back. That kind of kills the deal I’m getting.

Any suggestions or thoughts??

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do you have an option of taking an aftermarket cat with you? Bolt it to the exhaust manifold and just slip the end over the cut pipe and that should quiet it down a huge amount. You'd need to take a set of ramps, jack stands for the rear, and a jack with you to lift the car a bit. But it should give you enough room to work.

My son drove his 2005 to my house with no cat. They had unbolted it at the exhaust manifold and cut it in front of the resonator, right next to the pipe clamp that sealed the aftermarket cat I installed a month or two earlier, lol. Thieves are dumb creatures. Anyway, I could hear him coming a long time before I could see him. It was a 20 mile drive for him, from his apartment to our house, but he didn't get pulled over. Loud af tho.

#2 TMR-JWAP, Jul 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  3. megatron

megatron Junior Member

I guess I could take an aftermarket cat with me, but I don't know exactly where the cuts are when it was stolen, and since I'd be traveling there, I would not have tools and would probably need to pay a shop to even just bolt it on. But then I hear the CA shops are not legally allowed to mess with any Cats that are not genuine Toyota cats, so I'm not sure if anyone would put it on for me. I was thinking to get that all taken care of back in Seattle.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, trying to have a shop do it could present some unpredictable problems. Being an adventurous kind of person, I'd say go for it, just bring ear plugs. I think any cops would have a bit of empathy if you explain the cats were stolen and you're trying to get it to a new home.

5. megatron

megatron Junior Member

That's what I am trying to gauge... is how loud it will be driving the thing without a Cat. Will I really need ear plugs? I keep thinking it's only a 1.5L 4 banger... how much noise can it really make? The freeway is naturally pretty noisy with all the tire noise, but will this be louder than that making me stand out like a sore thumb? That's what I'm trying to avoid.

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ever driven near or been passed by a Harley with straight pipes or 'aftermarket' exhaust? I think they currently range from 1.3-1.8 liter. Might be a reasonable comparison.

I'm just recommending the ear plugs due to the duration of the drive and close proximity since the outlet of the exhaust manifold is going to be about 12 inches from your right knee.

7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your O2 sensor wires need to be secured or you might short out your ECM... Also after the first hour of that 12 hour drive you'll be filled with regret and if the car has been sitting for a while it might not be ready for a long drive. I'd definitely say no to driving it that far the first time you drive it in its current condition.

What part of California are you heading to? I live an hour south of Seattle and heading to Sacramento area later this coming week. And because I always carry a spare aftermarket cat and 02 sensor when I travel to California these days I could potentially install it for you, as well as look over your car to ensure you make it home enjoying every minute of your Prius without anything to be concerned about.

Another likes this.
  8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Follow a pack of bikers that are heading to Sturgis. Only half kidding.

Wear the earplugs for sure. It's the kind of noise that most people can handle for 5 minutes, but after 8 hours you're in no-kidding permanent hearing damage territory.

9. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It would be hard to get a better offer than this.

10. megatron

megatron Junior Member

Wow! That is quite the offer. You carry everything necessary to swap in an aftermarket cat on the fly in California?

The car is just south of San Jose so that’s like almost another two hour drive from Sacramento. I haven’t bought it yet because I’m deciding if the costs add up to be worth it. What would you be asking to head down there and do this for me? Thanks for sure on this… like someone else replied, there is no better offer for sure!

11. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll private message you...