1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying used 2010 Prius II: Pics inside!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PanzerFreak, Jul 18, 2012.

1. PanzerFreak

PanzerFreak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    First off, hello everyone! I've been browsing these forums for a few months now as I've been looking for my fist Prius. The information on the site really helped lead to me deciding on a Gen 3 Prius.

So after searching for a while I found a nice 2010 Prius II Blizzard Pearl with 45,000 miles on it for $16,200. I test drove the car tonight and everything checked out great, that I could tell at least. The car is an original owned vehicle and the owner brought all recent documentation for maintenance with him done at the dealership including a recent oil change (plus cabin filter) at 40,000 miles. New Hankook Optimo tires 727 tires were just put on this month, the owner had the receipt for it.

My only concerns were with the how dirty the engine compartment looked and a couple scratches on the rear bumper. One he said happened in a parking lot, the other grazing a family members car. I negotiated $300 off the listing price in hope that it would cover a repaint of the bumper.

Any thoughts or concerns on the price and condition? I would love to see this car reach 200,000 miles. My current vehicle has been plagued with problems...a 2001 PT Cruiser so I really want something reliable.

I'm looking forward to becoming a Prius owner and becoming an active member on the site!

Thank you!

IMG_20120718_204012.jpg View attachment 40039 IMG_20120718_204004.jpg IMG_20120718_204017.jpg IMG_20120718_204218.jpg IMG_20120718_204221.jpg
    IMG_20120718_203952.jpg

2. priuscritter

priuscritter I am the Stig.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    congrats. i don't think the engine compartment looks bad. they all get dirty like that unless you go out weekly and clean it all off. The paint is another issue, but at least it's not on a metal part. I'd get it repainted if I were you to make it look good. especially in the white. good luck!

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The engine compartment looks just like mine. :) It is tough in Alaska to keep em clean.

Otherwise it looks fine from here. Enjoy!

4. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Aw man! Way to dash my dreams...

Just checked my engine and it's just as dirty. :(

:p

Seems like a decent deal to me! Enjoy!!

5. ThinkingPrius

ThinkingPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    very nice. we just bought our 2010 blizzard prius with 49k miles last week for 17,500.

sounds like you got a great price. was yours certified and what state do you live in?

6. sprtent

sprtent Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    (y) Congratz. That's a good deal.

In terms of a dirty engine compartment, I think usually a pic won't be able to capture/show as much dirt as it really is, even though most of our engine compartments are a bit dirty mostly due to dust particle buildup. Mine is a bit cleaner, but that black piece on top of the electric motor is a dust particle magnet :) I would be on the safe side and check both the carbin and engine air filters if you think the car has been under a more dirty condition than normal, granted these just been changed for 5k miles.

7. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Overall everything looks good. After three years there will surely be some paint loss, even with the best of care.

As for under the hood, that too looks pretty decent after three years. What you highlighted in the close-up photo looks more like oxidation of the metal.

8. colbertfan1

colbertfan1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats! I bought a black 2010 p2 with 14K for $19K two weeks ago. I have been enjoying every minute of it. We just put in leather on Monday which makes me like it even better.

Have fun driving it!

9. Prius Guy

Prius Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Other than the rear bumper, I think the car looks great! I don't see any stone chips in the front, which is amazing. I think it's a great deal.

10. PanzerFreak

PanzerFreak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for the feedback! I'm looking forward to getting the vehicle. Hopefully I'll be able to close with the seller by the end of the week.

11. Brett.

Brett. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As long as it's mechanically sound it seems like a good price. The fact that it needed tires in less than 40,000 miles makes me think it was probably driven harder than most however. How does someone burn off the rubber in 40k on a car this slow? Either road hazards (nails etc) added friction of driving off paved surfaces, or aggressive driving.

Check the trip odometers and see if either one still has all the miles from the car on it, and check the avg mpg. If it is in the 30's, run far away. If it's in the high 40's to mid 50's they probably just bought new tires because one or more got holes in them.

Scratches that close to the rear doors usually require a closer look at the sheet metal on the rear doors to be sure the accident didn't effect anything structural. Stand at an angle to the doors where the bumpers are damaged and look for sanding marks under the door paint, also look for ripples, or raised areas which might indicate other body repairs. Look under the car, make sure the undercarriage isn't damaged.

The engine bay isn't an issue, more dirt usually means unpaved roads, but these aren't exactly the kinda goodies you wanna spray down with a garden hose. Most owners don't seem to be detailing the engines on these cars from what I have seen.

Not trying to scare you off, just scrutinizing it as if I were purchasing it. Good luck and hopefully you find the one you are looking for soon!! It's a pleasure to drive once you get used to it.

12. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good advice overall from Brett. Though the replacement of the tires at 40k is not always what one would take away in the worstcase scenario. Some of it can be road surfaces. Also stock tires are not always the highest mileage type tires. Another possibility was the owner was being proactive in a good way to sell the car easily. At 45k with stock tires, one might have just another 15k left....

For peace of mind pay a knowledgeable mechanic on the Prius models to look at it.

13. priuscritter

priuscritter I am the Stig.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    fwiw, i had to replace my tires at 50K miles. it's not that far fetched for 40K, especially if you're doing a lot of city driving, turning, etc. the stock yokohamas i got are not rated as well as the other two stock tire options.

14. SoCalBPrius

SoCalBPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I second the suggestion of getting a good mechanic of your choosing that is knowledgable on a prius(hybrids) to check it out even if u have to pay him some money as it will be the best insurance u can get. Also, it can be a good way to negotiate the price down some if he(mechanic) finds some minor issues;).