1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying used at Non-Toyota Dealership?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by prius_amy, Apr 23, 2016.

1. prius_amy

prius_amy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey all, so I just bought a 2013 Prius at my local Toyota dealership. Both my husband and I love it so much that we are thinking of replacing his vehicle with another Prius soon. Just wondering if there is any reason not to buy a used Prius from lets say, a Fiat dealership? I'm seeing some good deals online at non-Toyota dealerships around here, and maybe could even bring the price down with some bargaining (not "no haggle" like the toyota and car max dealers here). I don't really care about "Toyota Certified Used" because we're looking at 2013-2015 models and I'd only buy a car with good service records and a clean title regardless. Heard that "certified" is no guarantee of perfect anyway. Anyone have experience with this? I don't know what kind of inspection other brand dealers do with their trade-ins before selling so I'm a little wary.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not at all. in fact, sometimes you get a better deal on a trade in at another dealership, because they don't always know what they have, and don't want it on the lot too long.

as long as you thoroughly check out the service and ownership history, and take it to toyota for a once over, you should be fine.

prius_amy likes this.
  3. Caniac

Caniac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What bisco said. The non Toyota dealers usually don't know much about trim levels so I would not just take their word on what you'd be buying.

prius_amy likes this.
  4. prius_amy

prius_amy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is good news for me :D. Yes, I will definitely have it checked out by Toyota, not just for functionality but also to make sure I am buying the right trim level hehe.