1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying used, help me decide.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jimmy0x52, Jul 5, 2012.

1. jimmy0x52

jimmy0x52 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All -

Long time listener, first time caller. :)

I'm buying a used Prius to replace my V6 gas guzzler and I need some advice. I've narrowed it down to two and I wanted to see what the forum thought:

Option 1:
    • 2008 Prius Touring NR
    • Smart Key System (SKS), Backup Camera, Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Anti-Theft System, Electrochromatic Auto-Dimming Mirror, Homelink, JBL Audio AM/FM/6-CD/MP3/WMA w/ 9 speakers and Satellite Radio Capability, Auxiliary Input Jack, Bluetooth Handsfree, Voice-Activated DVD-Based GPS Navigation System, Leather-Trimmed Interior w/ Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel
    • Second owner (doctor bought it used for 6 months until he took delivery of his Nissan Leaf)
    • ~36,000 miles (literally when I test drove it it had 35985 miles so by the time I take delivery it will click over)
    • $16,000
    • Clean AutoCheck (95/100)
    • Did have one pretty badly orange peeled paint section on the passenger rear door and fender area. He said it was a 'scratch the dealer buffed and repainted when he bought the car'. AutoCheck showed no accidents. I trust his description of the issue but it's pretty noticeable - I noticed it in the shade that it seemed like the paint was VERY dull there.
    • Plusses for me:
      • Low mileage
      • More options = better resale?
      • Powertrain warranty / Hybrid warranty still intact
    • Minuses for me:
      • "too many" options
      • Weird paint section
      • 30% higher cost than option 2
      • JUST out of 36k warranty. Owner has extended warranty but wants to charge me ~$1000 extra to transfer it.
    Option 2:
    • 2007 Prius Base #3
    • JBL Audio AM/FM/6-CD/MP3/WMA w/ 9 Speakers, Auxiliary Input Jack, Smart Key System, Backup Camera, Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Bluetooth Handsfree, Electrochromic Auto Dimming Mirror, Homelink Integrated Garage Door Opener, Theft Deterrent System
    • One-owner, older couple, WELL cared for
    • ~83,000 miles
    • $12,000
    • Clean AutoCheck (92/100)
    • Plusses
      • One owner
      • Just the options I wanted
      • Priced well
      • Hybrid warranty still intact
    • Minuses
      • No leather seats
      • Extended warranty / Powertrain warranty options are long gone
    Option 1 would last me 5 years longer (just based on mileage) and has some nice options, but would end up costing me a bit more which means a longer payoff period. Based on the value of the car I'm selling ($5500) I'm looking at 11 years to break even on option 1, and 6 years to break even on option 2 ($933/yr saved in gas vs my current vehicle at current gas prices).

@12000 miles/yr both put me in the 160k range after their payback period.

Based on the options I want, #2 has everything I wanted (except for leather), and #1 has more than everything I wanted (nav/satellite radio were on my 'rather not have' list) but has way less miles. #2 is better taken care of than #1.

So, am I going to be kicking myself for not spending the extra $4k on the nicer model? More gadgets normally means more stuff to break - and to be honest I'll probably hack the video in to plug in my iPhone for navigation purposes because I don't love in-car nav systems. I also get the itch to switch cars after about 4-5 years and when they get above 125-130k miles. That's not my plan with this one, but 4-5 years is a long ways off :)

Bottom line is I think I've talked myself out of the more expensive one - and the BIGGEST reason is on the one-owner I think it was well taken cared of and driven 'tenderly'. If Option #1 had been even 1000 miles UNDER the 36k warranty window, I'd be much more inclined to take the risk. Since it's just out, paying the 36k miles price without any associated warranty becomes a sticking point.

Help me fellow Prius owners. What to do?

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Glad to see you posted in the right area. Newbies frequently post in the Prius v (wagon) area for some reason, even when their post has nothing to do w/the v. :rolleyes:

2G Prius (2004-2009) Standard and Optional Equipment (Some Countries) | PriusChat might help.

Tourings come with 16-inch wheels while non-Tourings come with 15. Check the tire size.

HID equipped Priuses have a mechanism in the assembly that moves backward and forward depending on whether you're in low or high beams. Try having switch between high and low beam while you watch the mechanism. HIDs have a whiter/bluish light. IIRC, you'll also see some high voltage warning stickers under the hood near he lights.

What state are you in?

3. jimmy0x52

jimmy0x52 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Texas.

Based on that list, it's a 2007 #3 w/83k miles vs a 2008 Touring NR w/ 36k miles I can tell because the 2007 #4 has foglights which this didn't have, and the 2008 Touring NR has leather (only available on the NR Touring) and the larger wheels,.

4. jimmy0x52

jimmy0x52 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
  5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok... TX AFAIK isn't a CARB emissions state. CA and other CARB states get a 10 year/150K mile HV battery warranty, which is moot in your case. You only get 8 years/100K miles.

Hmmm, I haven't looked over your post carefully, but my gut says to go w/the lower mileage one. That is weird about the orange peel area. I'm no fan of leather though.

My only worry about the higher mileage one is the HV battery needing replacement after the 100K mile warranty is up. You live in a hot climate, so you're more likely to have it fail earlier than say 150K or 200K miles. See Failed traction (HV) battery, what to do? - Prius Wiki for options and one of seilerts' great posts.

Oh yeah, from those pics, option 1 looks like touring, at least from the wheels. The wheels on option 2 are definitely the ones on all non-tourings.

There are no a/c vents next to the rear seats. There is an HV battery fan intake on the passenger side of the rear seats.

6. jimmy0x52

jimmy0x52 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Based on KBB, Option 1 is a slightly better deal price-wise than what it should be but Option 2 is also good.

warranty gets me to 2018 on the '08 and 2017 on the '07, but with the miles I'd say that '07 will be out of warranty by 2014 and the '08 by 2017.

God damn your logic. I was ready to pick up the 2007 today from the owner, and now I'm questioning. The '08 owner said I gotta wait until he gets his Leaf in the next 7 days. :confused:

7. jimmy0x52

jimmy0x52 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    (edited the original post to remove the part about the A/C vents. thanks)

8. jimmy0x52

jimmy0x52 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh I almost forgot - the 2008 guy said he would leave his extended warranty intact for a week so that I could drive it for a week and make sure nothing has an issue before he cancelled it and got his money back. Not a really long time, but not bad.

9. jimmy0x52

jimmy0x52 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The '08 navigation also apparently isn't upgradable to the newest maps which require a gen 6 navigation system.

As a gadget person, this makes me twitch.

Nevermind. It's harder to find, but they make a gen 5 11.1 disc.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    I doubt that. Although I haven't looked, I'd imagine that Toyota will keep providing newer maps for older nav systems for a little while longer. I'm still using the original DVD that came w/my 06 (bought in January 06), which likely was completed sometime in 05.

The problem is that the updates are EXPENSIVE compared to buying a brand new PND from say Garmin.

11. jimmy0x52

jimmy0x52 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ^^ Yeah for $200 I can get the thing that unlocks the video input and plug in my iPhone to power my navigation - vs $185 to update the nav system on the Prius.

I'd likely have little use for the nav system. I'd really want the better one for the leather seats.

12. jimmy0x52

jimmy0x52 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    KBB says $19.7K on option #1 and $13.2K on option 2. Both a good deal

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    I've found KBB tends to be on the high side and Edmunds on the low side. Also check NADA.

14. jimmy0x52

jimmy0x52 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Edmunds:
    Option 1: $17100
    Option 2: $11708

NADA (only retail, doesn't give trade-in):
    Option 1: $17535 (retail)
    Option 2: $14975 (retail)

I think my choice is becoming clearer.

15. jimmy0x52

jimmy0x52 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks again for all the advice. I think I should have this done by tomorrow!

16. jimmy0x52

jimmy0x52 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Done! Drove it back to work today!

17. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just my take, but I would get the newest least mileage ca you could. My 08 is solid and has been since 20 miles total. Now at 39k miles and still my only gripe is the driver side floor carpet. It always comes loose and pushed forward. I might get the rubber mat like my wifes 08 pri. She has not had the same issue with thatmat.

18. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius