1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying used -high mileage- what to check?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by zebibyte, Mar 12, 2009.

1. zebibyte

zebibyte Junior Member

Hi all,

I loved my 2001 Prius, and still love our current 2006 package 5, but today I'm looking at buying another one for my "cheap" car.

It's a 2004 with 153k on it. Asking price is around $8k. What issues or trouble signs should I be looking for? It seems like a very good deal...

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks all,
    Shawn

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same as any car really, make sure it has a Toyota badge on it!

Can you tell I'm a Toyota fan?

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Shawn,

Since you already own a 2006 you know the customary noises produced by a Prius. So if you hear something different, that is cause for concern. Listen/look for excess valve noise and visible exhaust emissions. Make sure the air cond. and all accessories work.

With 153K miles, its likely that the front struts and rear shocks need replacing if that was not previously done. The powertrain needs full servicing if not previously done: iridium spark plugs, PCV valve, all fluids and filters replaced, etc. Brakes may need work.

You probably know the MFD is a popular failing item for that model year.

4. zebibyte

zebibyte Junior Member

Thanks for the help, I'll definitely do a thorough check on it.

Is there any way to test the MFD? Is it just a works/doesn't work problem?

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's the original MFD I don't think there's a practical way to check it. It'll either be working or not.

That said, it's easy to see if the car you're looking at has had a replacement MFD put in. With the car in READY and the display on either the Energy or Consumption screen, push the INFO button on the steering wheel. If the MFD has been replaced the display should change from Energy to Consumption or vis versa. The original 2004 MFD won't toggle those two screens.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do a title search to confirm that it is not a salvage. If it is, run away.

Before you buy it pay, or have the current owner pay, a certified Prius tech (most of them are at dealers) to thoroughly inspect and test the car. It's impossible to be certain of the history of a used car, and so many things can have been incompletely repaired it'll make you ill.