1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying Used Prius Agonizing over Details : }

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by daisy555, Aug 11, 2015.

1. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    : ) My negotiating friend said the same thing. He finally found a moment to call me.

But he played devils advocate because he thinks they are going to back off and sell to someone else who won't find the body damage or won't care.

I guess if I say $9500 with fog lights replaced I need to be ready to walk away which I am...I think.

2. JTM2955

JTM2955 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate. Everything is negotiable. Trust me, for them to put in the fog lights it doesn't cost them hardly anything. They get the parts at cost and then they pay their lowest paid employee to put them in for you. Don't go in there feeling sorry for them Daisy I'm sure they're not feeling sorry for you.

3. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for hanging out with me through this. I'm not feeling sorry for them. They are full of ego and think everyone wants this car which is BS. The last one took 60 days to sell and needed a major markdown to sell. Plus they got $9000 for it with only 56K miles on it!

Ok....Newport competitor says for 2 fog lights it's $552 installed. So maybe saying $9000 as is or $9500 with fog lights is right on target and not the slight bit unreasonable.

4. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't mean completely as is. Still with 60 day warranty!

5. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh and this is a "no haggle" dealership. : /

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No such thing.

7. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm about ready to walk away...just feel badly for all that you guys have done with this one!

I just told him I'm obviously serious about buying the car but will pay $9k with fog lights and marker light replaced and that's it. Told him I'm still upset about boys work and would never have negotiated a price on car if I'd known car didn't have clean history. He's calling manager and will get back to me by tomorrow morning at the latest.

I sense they won't go below $9.5K and I'll have to deal with letting it go.

I'm so sorry. I know this isn't a car sales negotiation forum! I just can't do this all alone. Thank you!!!!!!

JTM2955 likes this.
  8. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    body work not "boys" work ha!

9. JTM2955

JTM2955 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    By tomorrow? They know already unless a) boss is at a bar b) boss is at the golf course c) boss is seeing girl or boy friend.

10. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    True. This waiting game favors the seller. If you meant what you said...walk.

11. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Right.... Being an hour away doesn't help. I could have tried walking in with my $6000 balance if I was closer. Obviously he got off phone with me and called manager.

I must say it's the first dealer who took car off internet listing immediately after I gave deposit. Others leave them on to bait people.

JTM2955 likes this.
  12. JTM2955

JTM2955 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Most dealer now have an"Internet" manager that sits in a quiet place somewhere in or near the dealership or they have it contracted out.

Don't worry, if the car is as good as you say it is then wait for it. Taking it off line is no big deal. I have been at the dealer, trying to buy a car, and had them "lose my key". No joke, another time they had anotjer couple test drive the same car we just drove. Uh oh, they'll buy it, we better move fast if you want THAT car.
    I scoped out a certain car, knew that the car was there and was told I could not buy it, the dealer had it in the paper and it was a"loss leader". They could sell one at that price but not two.

13. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well he woke me up with the bad news. They don't have any room to budge (BS), fog lights work. I told him I was told fog lights could fall apart at any moment due to the deep cracks. Said I am interested in car so if they change their minds, I have checks sitting here ready to go.

Wish I had emphasized a few points but they know them already and wish I had countered with I would do fog lights myself (better deal that way)but I was too tired and not expecting call so early. Oh well....someone may walk in and buy car for $10K no questions asked. No regrets on my part except my loss of $100.

Even if they truly took this car in trade appraised as Touring by mistake, they paid about $7.5K max.

I was reading an article written by a dealer about negotiating and how one should be really pleasant in order for them to want to give you their best deal. I have been except I was annoyed when they weren't returning my calls. I was fairly blunt last night and this morning.

Also read how one guy basically tells dealer what he'll pay for car (barely above TMV) and pleasantly writes check out for amount and gets deal every time.

Onward I go....who knows...maybe they'll call back before I find another one. They are sure accruing miles on this poor Prius. I guess it's their runner car until it sells. I have the darn thing insured already. Better make that call next.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can't really write the check until they give you the bottom line. sounds like a fantasy.

15. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    : ) Not really if you have cash in your checkbook. This deal was pretty basic. I knew doc, title and registration fees before they even had this car for sale. I kept good notes when I initially spoke with them about another Prius. If I wanted to pay only $9K I just add doc fee, calculate tax then add reg fee and write a check for around that amount.

I guess the fantasy part for me would be having that kind of money sitting in a checking account. Can't get loan check without vin #.

#255 daisy555, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  16. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just to catch up on a few things:

After looking at my wipers for you I found the "rusty" one's blade was torn in two places. That was the one from Advance Auto Parts. Replaced it with the NAPA blade. This time I saved the package insert & noted the date. We'll see how long this one lasts.

I don't know how much body work is too much. A bumper cover can be replaced over a couple of license plate screw impressions. I was sideswiped and had a door skin replaced. My right mirror cover is cracked & the film chewed up from contact with a misplaced barrel. None of that changes my opinion of the car while that may be enough for others to not want to touch it. There's nothing wrong with that as limits are personal and one has to be happy with the purchase.

How did you miss the damage to the fog lights & marker light? Did you report the bumper cover was replaced and it is cracked?

Sorry this one didn't work out. Better to find out before than after the contract is signed. By the end of the quest you'll become a Professional Prius Shopper.

daisy555 likes this.
  17. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know! I don't know how I missed the fog lights. : ) I forgot this car had them. I still don't know what a marker light is. I'm really slipping!!

Thanks for checking on wipers. I looked at this cars wipers again. Speckled spots were no longer there. Looked like they wiped it down because there were streaks. The mechanism that moves the wiper was streaked and almost looked brownish instead of black in areas. May have been reflection from cleaning residue. Like windex on glass kind of look rather than solid black. Wasn't a deal breaker of course.

Local dealer pointed out contact spot that caused crack in replaced bumper. They throughly checked hatch area for leaks, alignment and even saw some beach sand which made him more confident they didn't try covering anything up by cleaning stains etc. Service manager and tech looked this over. Knowing they examined well and paint has been ok for a few years made me more comfortable about buying this car with body damage history but not for price negotiated assuming clean.

Made sure I have enough money on hand to buy car at $9.5K incase I change my mind and they will budge.

Notified two high volume dealers that I'm still looking.

Professional Prius Shopper sign on order....no thanks! : )

Appreciate all the feedback as usual!

18. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The marker light is the amber light above the headlight. The fog lights in the grill are little more than ornaments. They do seem to attract road debris.

I agree that they are asking a "good" price for a car that is not in "good" condition. Good condition means no damage. At the very least the lights & the bumper cover have to be replaced.

I do not do a thorough wipe down after waxing so the white spots that appear always get my heart pumping because they look like primer. I'm not going to get a job in a dealer's prep dept.

Here's how I would play it: Contact the dealer this afternoon, tell them the deal is off because the car was not what you expected, that you want the deposit back, and can pick it up this afternoon. Either they let you walk or the car's price suddenly becomes more reasonable. They still have three days for it to count for the month & the quarter.

daisy555 and JTM2955 like this.
  19. JTM2955

JTM2955 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If they want to make their quarter sales, they'll call you. Great God almighty why didn't they take this deal?

daisy555 likes this.
  20. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You think....I would think their egos would get in the way. I'm assuming they'll wait to see if they can sell it over the weekend at least. Someone who didn't do any research and has $10K burning in their pocket for a reliable car. They even get the 90K service I haggled over. Ugh!

Unfortunately I put deposit on credit card so I can't use that tactic.

Part of me wants to drive up there but friend will only go if I've negotiated $9.5K by phone ahead of time which I understand.