1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying Used Prius Agonizing over Details : }

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by daisy555, Aug 11, 2015.

1. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    At least some greater good has come from the experience.

JTM2955 likes this.
  2. JTM2955

JTM2955 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Right, JimN. Poor lady Daisy doesn't know who to believe. At least here she hears a different point of view.

daisy555 likes this.
  3. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Finding the right car can be tough. I was fortunate. The first one didn't take too long and I didn't need the car immediately. I did need the second one "immediately" as I was driving a second car borrowed from a friend. The dealer had one that was exactly what I was looking for but it sold out from under me. They had a dealer trade coming in that was a 99+% match (I would have skipped the PIO) so they held it for me.

You never know how hard it is to find something until you start looking for it. There just isn't much used Prius inventory around here.

I'm glad she found us and asked the questions. There are too many "I just bought this car, did I pay too much?" and "I just bought this car. What does this idiot mean?" threads.

I'm going to be more excited than she will be when she buys the right car.

daisy555 likes this.
  4. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I promise I'm not just trying to break records regarding number of posts! : }

That Toyota Owner link is so helpful. Thank you!

Person stating no problems with car but last service states "transmission leak". Plus multiple issues with mileage being recorded incorrectly by Toyota dealer.

Does anyone know what "no crank" means? Listed multiple times on different service dates of another car. Maybe it's a good thing. : }

I just read through Toyota maintenance manual. Is it normal to need transmission fluid changed at 60K. Does this depend on driving style or what?

Just inquired about a private seller car. I don't know if I have it in me to go down that road again. Must be nice having your boyfriend selling your car for you. I guess I'm too old for that anyway. : ) Trying to rekindle my sense of humor !

The good news is I don't have to drive any distance over the next few days unless a Prius appears.

Thanks!

penquin230 likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Changing transaxle fluid is a good preventative maintenance, totally ignored by Toyota.

daisy555 likes this.
  6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi Daisy,
    No crank typically refers to the fact that the car won't start. This is probably due to a low 12V battery. The likely fix would be to either charge the 12V or replace it.

daisy555 likes this.
  7. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Breaking the record for number of posts in a thread would just be a bonus. 287 already. Time flies...

So why is Dyslexic Dan a service writer? Owner's son? I'd wait for the next one.

When I had the dealer drain & fill the tranny the guy came out to tell me that it wasn't part of the recommended service. I agreed and had him do it anyway. I prefer to believe the Informed Consensus here over the dealer as they are not motivated by profit from unnecessary services or profit from premature wear.

I believe you will have a better chance of finding a suitable car private party than you will from a dealer. At least you won't have the dealer markup. Get the owner talking about the car and you can learn any number of things in casual conversation. Might also be able to get (or see) invoices and other documentation.

Good luck with this one. We want the details.

daisy555 likes this.
  8. JTM2955

JTM2955 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had to ask for my transaxle fluid to be changed, also. They claimed it is lifetime fluid, which I countered who's lifetime, just change the fluid. I know that anytime the tech doesn't want to do something, it mustbe a bitch to do. But, when they got it all done it had nice clean fluid once more.

So far, so good. My mileage is still around 41 on average, my right foot is made of lead. It takes me where I want to go.

I hope Daisy finds a nice Prius, she deserves it.

daisy555 likes this.
  9. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for such quick answers! Would love to surprise you with photos without having to ask more questions but I'm hitting more dead ends.

Toyota Owner website is really saving me some time and future headaches! Private seller boyfriend was upfront about two different minor accidents which must have been repaired at indep shop. However.....the service history has starter/charging and multiple electrical repairs. Personally I don't like inheriting "electrical issues". Most recent service entry states "MAJOR DIAG" with a coma after it and nothing else. I felt that dropping off a cliff sensation. : /

I've already had Toyota say "oh you own this car" a couple of times. Looks like I own quite a few of them at this point. : )

Carfax requires that I provide documentation regarding collision on Newport car. Dealer will not release copy of invoice to anyone but owner of car at time of repairs. That makes sense due to privacy laws. Accident report....that would be interesting challenge. From what I read online Carfax does nothing about these situations. I suppose a large loss would involve hiring an attorney to subpeona docs. People pay for a false sense of security but I guess it's better than nothing.

I don't dare take a day off from looking! There's a nice one at a small dealership that's $800 over my price range. Unfortunately it was just reduced to this price. If it was priced correctly as a standard and not touring, it could be a possibility. This is another small dealer who bought Prius from a Toyota dealer at dealer auction. Car documents at dealer auction stated touring model. Darn! They cheat each other too. I was really nice about pointing it out and sent him spec sheet so he could verify for sure. Just looking for a fair price. : /

10. JTM2955

JTM2955 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Dealers take cars to auction all the time. It can be titled as a "Touring" and still not be a "Touring".

I had an '87 Mitsubishi Mirage that was titled as an '86. They used the build date 11-86 as the model year. I drove that car until it was more rust than car. It had manual everything. I had to add a radio, but the antenna was there(!). 11 years and 140000 miles later I sold it to my sister in law for $400.
    I still miss it. The truth is they had the title wrong from day one.

Now the Prius is a different matter. Be sure to check your title at time of purchase, it's much easier to correct then than many years later.

Cars that sit around are rolling up finance charges, unless the dealer "owns" his stock.
    If you are not familiar with floor planning, I will try to explain. Dealers need cars and trucks to show and demonstrate. They purchase vehicles from the manufacturer at dealer cost. Most don't have that kind of money, so they make arrangements with a financial institution to use the money they borrow to purchase vehicles (this is how they get so many vehicles). At the end of the month, they own the bank the interest on all the cars they financed and pay back part of the loan. The best time to buy it at the end of the month or when the loan is due. A local Ford dealer was having a clearance sale yesterday, which is crazy to have mid week. They must have been in a tight spot for money.

penquin230 likes this.
  11. JTM2955

JTM2955 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Daisy, we have your back. Shopping for a car can be a real challenge. You seem to know your numbers and can see a good deal.

Here it is 2015 going on 2016. Car dealers are playing the same games they have been playing for over sixty years. Not all dealers are the same.

penquin230 and daisy555 like this.
  12. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ha! More like over a hundred years now. (Not that I can remember quite that far back... )

13. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'd pass on any car with "electrical problems".

I presume you are deleting the cars from your Toyota logon.

If the bandit dealer paid a Touring price for the car at auction based on the description then he is a fool. Either you are finding all the idiot car dealers or just believing their sob stories designed to soften you up because you pity them. To paraphrase Mr. T, "I pity you fool for paying for a Touring when you bought a standard Prius." Buying a car isn't a "cost plus" transaction.

About the only change car dealers have made is they won't take your horse in trade. Do the Amish have a used buggy dealer? I haven't seen one. Would they advertise a selection of colors--Black, Dark Black, Midnight Black?

14. JTM2955

JTM2955 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It used to be every car, except for a demo car, was a wanted, ordered car. The dealer would order it and four to six weeks later you got the car you ordered. That was through say 1954. Then the car manufacturers got greedy. They made more cars than were ordered. And they built and built cars.

The Chrysler dealers got wise to what was going on, they waited until almost the end of the model year to buy all the cars they could at below invoice. That's why Chrysler went bankrupt the first time.

Dealing in vehicles can be a very lucrative business. You have to know how low you can go without going bankrupt yourself. I know of a certain Toyota dealer that is practically giving cars away to get their name on the street. Its all about the bottom line. A well run business attracts customers. And word of mouth can kill it.

There is another Toyota dealer that I wouldn't take my lawnmower let alone my cars to. The service manger runs two computers(!). One for him the other for the dealership. That is just not right.

15. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wish the Toyota dealer practically giving cars away was near by. : )

Service histories I'm able to view really fill in the blanks on Carfax report.

There's a 2009 with 97K that just appeared with 12V battery replaced before being traded in. My mind immediately went to thoughts of 12V battery possibly not being the issue and that's why they traded it in. That's because I had big issue with my old SAAB that was initially thought to be battery. They probably just thought let's quit while were ahead.

I'd much rather a horse and buggy but horses are expensive to take care of. Another weekend. Hopefully more people trading in their well maintained Prius.

16. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe I do need a break. I almost started crying after getting off phone with dealer of 2009 97K this morning. Probably his condescending tone. Car service history great until he got ahold of it and boasted that all it needed was a synthetic oil change because "that's best for these cars". I asked if car had synthetic oil before and he said "no clue....doesn't matter". Toyota history shows conventional oil changes up until this one. Synthetic oil is thinner and this switch can cause engine to use more oil but I'm forgetting what else.

Another one just reduced to a good price. Check out this bizarre service history attached. Local Toyota dealer said maybe a glitch in the system. Obviously oil changes were done but who knows what the in-between services were. K-M Toyota service not open until Monday. Maybe I'm just getting paranoid. : }

Attached Files:

17. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like 3000 mile oil change interval. And there are many visits in between. Strange that most of the recent service
    records lack detail. Every service record I've seen before has had all details provided.

Body repair/paint at 3142 miles?

Skip this one.

18. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. Would be one thing if service history was consistently just every 3-5K but the multiple in between make me nervous. I saw the body repair. I'm getting a little less picky about body repair if it's minor fender/bumper and done a while ago. At least I know work has held up through the years.

Thanks for taking a look!

19. JTM2955

JTM2955 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree, why no op codes??? I would drive it and see what it feels like. Could be a lazy service writer, but it could be just didn't know how.

20. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That car made so many trips to the dealer you would think an employee was driving it. Either the owner is obsessed with having clean oil in the crankcase or it's a hangar queen. Check it out. If the owner was O-C you'll kick yourself for not buying an overly maintained car. If it's a hangar queen then there is probably something wrong with it now and it shouldn't take long to find it. So much for the value of dealer service records.

Body work records could be anything from the paint chip repainted before delivery to a damaged bumper cover being replaced to the car being sideswiped... If I'm paying for a new car I expect the finish to be perfect but a daily driver isn't going to stay perfect for long.

The replaced 12v battery could be parts swapping (look how often that is tried here) or coincidence. My 2006 went to the junk yard with a new 12v battery. Very few people schedule their repairs & maintenance and the car's replacement.