1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying Used Prius- Need Advice

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Kathryn P Sweeney, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Kathryn P Sweeney

Kathryn P Sweeney New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all, I am back in the game, looking for a used card and considering the Prius from 2010-2013. I live in the Boston area and will be traveling about 45 miles per day, on the highway to and from work. My main concern is safety, especially in winter months, and reliability. Any thoughts on how the Prius handles in the snow? And, thoughts on buying a used Prius with about 100k miles from 2013? It seems the battery still has good life in it, but high miles.
    I'm also considering a Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic. Also, looked at Subaru Impreza for the AWD but the reliability does not look great. Thank you in advance!!

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If maintaince history checks out and deal is good, buy it. Remember that snow tires will be required and the prius doesn't do that well comopared to other passebger vechicles, the traction off sequence is mind blowing. And be ready for EGR & manifold cleaning with car beyond 100,000 miles, ouch.

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    after you find some potentials, do the math on fuel savings. you may be better off with corolla. but if you're looking for lowest pollution, prius is the way to go.
    if you must be out at any time in the worst weather, i'm not sure prius is the best idea. maybe do some more research on suburu problems.