1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying used Prius V for first vehicle

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by AshleyTPriusv, Oct 2, 2015.

1. AshleyTPriusv

AshleyTPriusv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there,

I'm new to this whole Prius talk thing. I'm looking to buy my Prius v by April of 2016 so I'm hoping I will be able to get loads of information before then. my bought would be $16,000- $25,000 all inclusive.

1) I want to own the Prius v for 10 years (is that possible? Will they last that long?)
    2) I'm looking at putting max 15,000 km a year so 150,000km over 10 years (how many km Is too much on a used Prius v if I want it to go for 10 years and 150,000km?)
    3) I would love to get the panoramic roof (test drove a used one with it and it was amazing) so what model would I be looking at getting? Luxury or technology?
    4) should I get extended warranty or do you think it's pointless since it is a really reliable vehicle?
    5) I live in Atlantic Canada so the winters are sometimes extremely rough, will the Prius hold up okay?
    6) what year should I get 2012? 2013? Or 2014? (I'm not looking at buying a new Prius v)
    7) since there is little maitainence to do on Prius do you think it's possible for a family mechanic or even myself to change a belt or 12v battery? (if not, should I go get the work done at the dealership or just a regular car mechanic shop)
    8) will the Prius in the long run (10 years) save me money?
    9) will the Prius v hold 3 convertible (rear facing or forward facing) car seats in the back comfortably? (The leg room and reclining and moving features to the back seats is amazing)
    10) how does the technology of the car hold up over time? (Touch screen, speedometer, MPG display, navigation)
    11) softex seats vs cloth seats?

I have no clue about buying cars so I'm going to negotiate via email using a template to a few Toyota dealerships if there is more then one dealership selling the same model of Prius v. Any tips and tricks to buying a Prius v in general? (Links to other chats would be very helpful if you don't want to go in full depth of explaining everything)

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A) Certainly none have, the model was only introduced 4 years ago.
    B) The similar Prius has, models from 2001 regularly post here with various 'old age' ailments that indicate they have been in service for 14 years.
    This is why you should not own a Prius, you will not drive it enough. With so few miles, it will spend most of it's time sitting, uncharged. You hear great stories about Prius Taxis lasting 1 million km, but they are running continuously, so the battery is always getting recharged.
    Aside from brake work, which I would leave for the dealer (Prius brakes are very complex due to all the regen, B Mode, and friction brake interlocks. It is almost impossible to bleed them without Toyota software) most routine maintenance is simple with the correct tools, which are inexpensive but not always common.
    I do not think so, since you do not plan to drive it, it cannot save much gas.

considering a Prius | PriusChat

3. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lotsa questions, there!

1) Probably, but nobody knows for certain;

2) Condition is more important than what the odometer says.

4) Probably not a good gamble, although that's debated.

5) Should be similar to other cars, regarding vulnerability to salt, and probably better than most regarding starting in extreme cold. Not good for more than about 4" deep snow.

7) There are no belts to worry about, and changing the 12V battery is easy enough--but risky if you're careless. Many routine repairs are similar to those on other cars, but some are tricky or expensive.

8)Depends on what fuel costs 9 years from now, among other unknowns.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

#3 CR94, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! corolla/yaris/matrix? all the best!(y)

5. AshleyTPriusv

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't care to drive lots right now in my moms car because she is very km causious because she wants to have a good resale value plus her car get 7.6-10.0 city/highway. Which costs me $80-120 a month. My moms car is a 2014 and it has 19000km on it. Once I'm out on my own I might do 15-20000 a year or more. I'll be driving home from PEI 2x a month so that might add the km up quick. We rarely drive my moms car on the highway.

The Prius V is the only car I want, I've looked at a tone of new and used. The Prius stands out so much to me :)

6. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This is the right answer to all your questions! Drive a car you like and like the car you drive. You will take better care of a car you like and so it will last longer!

7. AshleyTPriusv

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay thank makes since lol. In 4-6months I'll be posting pictures of my Prius v.

Just one last thing, how many miles or I'm does a person owning a Prius usually drive?

8. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I drive about 30,000 miles a year. (50,000 km) But I am perhaps not average as I work out of my car.

I would guess 20,000 miles is more average, then there is THIS guy Prius v: 300,000 miles club | Page 10 | PriusChat Over 369,000 miles in two years. (590,000 km!) He put 465K miles on his 09 Prius before that. (750,000 km)