1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

buying used Second Generation Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dj365, Aug 25, 2020.

1. dj365

dj365 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Hi I would like to buy second generation Prius. What should I check before buying used second gen prius

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you're able to, or have a friend who has it, go online with the car using Techstream. It allows checking all the potential high dollar repair items. You can check the HV battery block condition,, the abs actuator condition/leakage, engine performance, HV insulation condition, etc. You can even see if the owner reset codes recently.

Find out how old the 12v battery is. If its a Toyota, it will have a date code stamp on top near the center
    Is the HV battery original? If not, what kind of battery was installed? Toyo or a "rebuild"?
    Listen to see if the abs actuator is cycling frequently (that means it's leaking)
    Does it have fog lights? Fog lights = HID headlights, which can be more expensive to maintain
    How many miles? When were brakes last professionally inspected/maintained?
    Check for flow in the inverter coolant reservoir.
    Check for water under the spare tire, the driverside storage area, and the 12v battery well. This indicates water leakage from the roof/hatch/brake light areas.
    Make sure the AC works. Bring a thermometer you can stick in a vent.
    Verify the MFD has a good display. No weird lines or crosshatch pattern in the middle which is indicative of failing.
    Do all the door/window control buttons work?

SFO, dj365 and PriusCamper like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    start with checking out hybrid mechanics if you're not a serious diy'er

SFO and edthefox5 like this.
  4. Moses Bruh

Moses Bruh Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    IF you are in CA, look into the information on the Catalytic Converter. Generation 2 prius is constantly being hunted due to the Catalytic converter having more precious metals inside, and it is very easy location under the car, easy access, and really fast to cut off if there isnt any CAT lock or shield installed.

SFO and bisco like this.
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep go on youtube and search

Prius stolen

Theres many many tubes about the cat theft that like everything will soon be worldwide. Huge shortage of specific metals used in the G2 cat. Platrinum and paladium at $2000 an ounce right now.

dj365 and Moses Bruh like this.
  6. golfmk681

golfmk681 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow really?

I still have the factory cat. I should just remove this and resell the metals, and put a cheap cat.

dorifutoben, bisco and dj365 like this.
  7. The Lizard King

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You live in CA, so you will have to put the factory one back on during your visual vehicle inspection, but if you know what you're doing, you could do this.

bisco and dj365 like this.
  8. dj365

dj365 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    thank you

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In Ca smog test they inspect the cat to make sure it’s the oem factory cat. They inspect it.

If aftermarket cat that’s a big fail in Ca.

Plus after market cats are junk.

#9 edthefox5, Aug 27, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    SFO likes this.
  10. jimolson

jimolson Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    From my experience owning three high mileage Gen 2 Priuses, I'd ask questions of the vehicle's present owner about the traction battery and the front wheel bearings.

If you don't have access to the present owner, assume that these items will need replacement as you evaluate the asking price.

All three of my Prii needed a new traction battery at ~150k miles and front wheel bearings by 100k. The latter one annoyed me on my 2009 because I assumed that Toyota would fix the well-known wheel bearing issue based on early owner experience with 2005-2008 vehicles. Worn wheel bearings sound like front tires with severe wear on them.

In 225k miles I have had zero HID headlight issues on my 2009. I think Toyota fixed the HID problems by that model year.

And the large multi-function display's brightness is greatly diminished by 200k miles. I have to take my sunglasses off to read mine. Same for the odometer.

Might want to crawl under the proposed purchase and assess how much of the underside splash shield remains. The splash shield certainly qualifies as a gross "lick and a promise" error by Toyota engineering. Although replacement splash shield parts are readily available on EBay at friendly prices, these shields are surprisingly time consuming to replace. Their corroded fasteners spin in the their holes and cannot be counter-grabbed from the top side. Plan to shear off the old shields and replace them all at the same time, including using fresh fasteners.

fotomoto likes this.
  11. golfmk681

golfmk681 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They never inspect it. They just run a code reader and see if there is a code that pop. But I suppose one of these days they’ll inspect it.

12. golfmk681

golfmk681 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you guys always smog the car buy having it run. I got to this aaa approved in my town and they just put a code reader and that’s it. I wonder why?

13. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    You should run a Carfax, and or run the VIN at : Track Your Service Records with Your Toyota Owners Account

Check for the service history, and pay attention to the reported mileage for shenanigans. Many resellers will roll back the miles for profit.

Make sure there are two (2) fobs for the vehicle, as replacing them can be expensive.
    Every hybrid smog that I've experienced has completed the visual inspection before checking for OBD2 codes (DTCs). CARB hasn't instituted a way to test hybrids for emissions beyond the current plug and play method, but that could change in the future. Canada could be different, maybe @Mendel Leisk will chime in on the current vehicle transfer and safety inspection regiment in the great white north.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. golfmk681

golfmk681 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On mine they pop the hood but they don’t put it on a lift. Sorry I need to clarify. There is a visual inspection and they check for a check engine light but they never put the car on the lift.