1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buzz from 1 Speaker (AM Talk Radio Station Only)

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ATHiker, Nov 8, 2016.

1. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have been ignoring this for some time, but since my warranty will expire in a couple months II need to decide whether or not to address.

I get an intermittent buzz -- sort of a "blown speaker" sound -- from my front right speaker.

The odd thing is that this is audible only when I listen to AM Talk Radio (which I happen to do only on one station). The FM stations -- talk or music -- don't have this problem and even the HD version of that AM station is fine (since the HD signal gets dropped frequently I don't use it much however).

Since the problem is intermittent and my story a bit bizarre I hesitate bringing this to a dealer-- taking things apart to look for a loose screw could do more harm than good, right?

For a while I was thinking the issue could be with th station's transmission, but it is one of the iconic 50,000 Watt broadcasters and this has been going on for months.

Any thoughts?

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It does sound a bit odd. I've a suspicion that AM radio is the least worry of car designers. I don't think I've listened to AM on mine - I download podcasts and listen to them on CD or USB.

Have you listened to that AM station on another radio - at home or in another car? You could contact the Radio station.

RCO likes this.
  3. MD Hel

MD Hel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is it through the stock speakers? I had a lot of issues when I replaced my speakers with crackling noises from the front tweeters, especially the left front. I had to rewire everything to fix it. I think there might be some transistors or crossovers in the original wiring.

4. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yes, and it is getting worse -- which is probably a good thing if I take it to a dealer.

Do you know if the dash would need to be removed to access the front speaker? I don't relish a dealer installing some new scratches and squeaks.

I hate to think the cure will end up being worse than the disease, and FM sounds great.

5. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could it be an antenna problem?

ATHiker and RCO like this.