1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buzzing Noise When Braking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Tony2009, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Tony2009

Tony2009 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey guys im New to the Prius Family. i Bought a 09 with 45k miles i havent had no issues till my return Trip from the snow I live in California so this car is perfect for all the traffic i deal with out here. i normally have my music up loud so i may have never notice it but when i was driving with my girlfriends baby sleeping i started hearing a buzzing sound happen when i braked. This sound was low at the start but now is very noticeable. Im sure when you buy this car brand new it wasnt making this noise does anyone know how much this cost to fix or what the problem is.- Thanks

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! is it coming from under the hood? is it the buzzing you hear when you open the drivers door the first time each day? might be the brake accumulator, but i've never heard it while driving.

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, it is probably the brake accumulator. I hear it all the time, but it is fairly quiet. It is a pump that pressurizes the brake system, and usually comes on after pressing the brakes firmly. As long as the car is stopping properly, and the pump only runs briefly and shuts off, then all is normal.

If the pump keeps running continuously there may be a problem, but that would light up alert icons on the dashboard.

4. Sokeada

Sokeada New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bros, i can hear that sound often on my 2005 Prius while i'm in the slow traffic and when i step on the brake pad, is it still normal? no ABS warning light on the dashboard.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, see my reply to your other post.

6. Sokeada

Sokeada New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks bro, I really appreciate your support.