1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buzzing Noise while Off/On, need help (video attached)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Charlie23berry, Oct 8, 2023.

1. Charlie23berry

Charlie23berry New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Normally (when i purchased it brand new) it would buzz only once and never again. Now it buzzes constantly while running or off. It is going to destroy itself from overuse and there's no easy way to turn it off. What is it? What should I do?

The video: I first opened the door (letting the car know that I'm nearby); and then the car starts buzzing like crazy. See video:

First time posting a video here:

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Didn't watch the video (its a "G" thing). Quite likely your 'brake accumulator', but first check for a low 12v as that can make it run more often.

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.

3. Mr. F

Mr. F Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A low 12 V battery will struggle to provide sufficient power to run the brake booster pump (aka accumulator), and will therefore run it at partial load for a longer time. It should not make it run more often.

Only an internal leak in the brake fluid circuit can cause an increased frequency of operation, and while the buzzing noise is certainly from the accumulator, the leak is just more likely to be in the brake booster assembly that mounts to the firewall. Chapman's post has more details.