1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BYD Electric car 186 mile range on sale in 2 years

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by clett, Apr 21, 2008.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    chinese, japanese, american... oh wait...forget american, it will be two late, $15,000 higher, and not as capable...

its laughable to discount the product because its chinese when most of the world discounts the product because its american especially when it comes to cars...

i dont care who makes it... if it works AND ITS AVAILABLE, i will buy it. i have a french BEV made by a company in Canada...

and the reason why is because THERE IS NO AMERICAN OPTION. and if we have to rely on gm... i be willing to bet that statement will be true for more than a little while.

2. Rakimb17

Rakimb17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I like the idea of the BYD car. If it works out it forces american companies to mass product "real" EVs. In two years gas will be around $8 a gallon. Everyone will want an EV.

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And looking at the crash test videos it looks like a real car not one of them plastic tricycles or glorified golf carts. Although the Aptera would do me nicely if it hits the streets here.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Chinese factories produce cheap crap because that is what the customer specifies. If the customer specifies high quality, precision fit parts that is what will be supplied. The consequences for not meeting the standard range from a stay at a re-education camp to the worker & the family disappearing.

5. zeeman

zeeman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    After the second world war Japanese produced electronics that were considered crap by American and European standards of those days.

I remember when "made in Japan" sticker made people laugh.
    then Japanese learned from the mistakes, improved quality and efficiency of their production lines and "crap" became lot better, actually good quality products. within another decade or so Japanese products became lot better, good enough to start changing the meaning of "made in Japan", so that those 3 words became representative of good quality.

Same thing happened with their cars. I remember early Japanese cars, tiny tin canes that i worked on occasionally as i worked on "super cool" and "prestigious" euro cars.
    I hated those crude attempts of Japanese car makers to make copies of euro car.

But, i was to soon learn that Japanese cars were improving in quality and reliability while American and euro cars were not, or they were going down
    in quality. (Like American compact cars did) Now we can see that tables have turned and that Toyota/Lexus and others are symbols of reliability and quality.

Would you rather have 100 % Japanese made car or 30% european car with rest of the parts from all over the world (Mexico, Indonesia, Russia...)
    If you buy a new entry-level Mercedes, chances are that you will get around 25 % of German made parts, rest is made elsewhere.

Well, we can see that when it comes to cars all of the Japanese companies are doing good. We can also see that Korea is standing next in line, after the Japan.
    Korean companies are doing lot better than they did few years back, they are making lot better quality cars that are on par or close to with American cars and they are catching up with Europeans. Not surprisingly, Koreans are already major leaders in electronics, just like Japan was in their time.

so, should we be suprised if Chinese start making good quality products within some 5 to 10 years? First electronics, then cars? or maybe both, due to their resources?

Me thinks this is what is going to happen -- China will become new Japan.

And with more than clear agenda to deindustrialize America and millons of the jobs that will be lost in automotive related fields -- i would not buy an American car. period. no matter how good it may be at this time.
    Because, I can see the writing on the wall, that American auto factories will begin to close and/or move out their scaled down production elsewhere. China, Korea, Indonesia, India?
    Who knows, but i am sure that same "we need to stay competitive" line will be used by paid whores that we call politicians.

therefore, I rather buy a Chinese car than American car.
    At least pockets of China's car execs are not soaked with oil, unlike say GM execs pockets.

And, decades ago China was slated to become world's producer, so it shall be.after all, China is UN's model state.
    total control, no human rights, cheap slave labor, no EPA regulations... yet billions of people willing to give their best for little extra money, little extra luxury, anything to better their lives.
    what a bargain for globalists that is!

6. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Without meaningful competition from the US Toyota has no incentive to sell the "next best thing". I suspect the Chinese electric car will encourage Toyota to make their electric car available sooner rather than later.

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the statement that the Japanese produced "crap" is a bit misleading considering that what they were doing is producing cutting edge electronics using "crap" technology... it was not how they made the stuff, it was the stuff they made.

and like any introduction into "new" technology, growing pains will abound.

8. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is NO corporation in China that is not owned by the Chinese government, the only execs you are lining the pockets for are the Chinese government. The more we support China and the sending of jobs over there, the lower the standard of living the US will have, but I'm sure some Americans don't care about that, lets all lower our lifestyle to the level of a third world country, where only the rich have it well off.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's always best to buy locally. But when the local companies decide to build crap, you either do without or you buy non-local. I hate gas. I won't burn it if I can avoid it. Zap sells an EV that works for me. No American company is presently building an EV that does the job as well, except Tesla, which charges $100,000 and has a year and a half waiting list. I'm not willing to do without a car. China is the only country willing to sell me what I need.

If the American companies want my business, let them build a car that meets my needs and is not crap. Zap and Tesla have shown, in very different ways, that it can be done. Don't blame China for being the only country willing to build what the world needs.

(But I never shop at Walmart. I don't think I've ever been inside a Walmart.)

10. zeeman

zeeman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    if you read carefully you would see that i said:"Japanese produced electronics that were considered crap by American and European standards of those days."

that was the opinion of the day.
    americans laughed at Japanese products, that is for sure, but now tables are turned

11. zeeman

zeeman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    so, what you are saying is that U.S. (and other western nations) are heavily investing in Red China, and they are that stupid to risk all their investments if in case (say) Chinese government decide to kick them out?!
    what business in their right mind would do that?

and, while U.S. steel factories are being dismantled off U.S soil (killingjobs here) then shipped to China where there they will be reassembled, some 18 months of time -- it is OK for the taxpayers to pay the loses that those steel plants incur during downtime? and, it is ok to kill the jobs here and build up china?
    then, robot radicals will proclaim ""those Chinese are taking our jobs" we should all boycott and hate Chinese?

12. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes they are stupid, they can only own 35% of any company in China, they invest and share their tech, manufacturing plans and stamping machines. Then you get copy companies sprouting up all over the place, GM even has a lawsuit against Chery, for a model that is an exact duplicate of a GM model.

Once they get complete design plans for all the parts from all those manufactures, you will see, as is happening now, exact copy parts returning to the US and elsewhere, competing against the very parts that supports their company.

13. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Aftermarket parts just as good as OEM. IMO this is the way it SHOULD be. The real embarrassment will occur when the aftermarket parts are BETTER than OEM.

14. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    being of Asian decent, i am fully aware of the issues Americans had with the Japanese...they laughed because they thought it was ludicrous to carry things around like radios...there thought, "who would want to carrry a radio around with them that sounds bad, needs to be fed with batteries constantly, etc."

well, it took decades but the sound got better and the batteries got cheaper and the electronics got more power efficient... no one questions the "sense" of it today....

lets move to the early part of this century...

we say
    "why would anyone spend extra money to buy a car that has two engines, a very heavy space-consuming battery pack, and only saves me a few pennies in gas??"

now lets move to today

"why would anyone trust the Chinese to....."

fact is... we can sit here on our high horse thinking we know everything and how to do it. or we can accept new technology NO MATTER WHAT THE SOURCE with an unbiased attitude.

many here will say that Bush's biggest legacy will be the iraq war...

well, imm, his biggest claim to "fame" will be putting battery technology vehicles and hybrids back 8 years...

15. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have only heard it called red china in old post war documentaries.
    I don't think it is a red as you seem to think. It seems to be a land of growing opportunity to me.

16. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Capitalism is flourishing in China, while repressive government persists. China is no longer "red." Nobody should be surprised by the confluence of capitalism and repressive government. It's the rule, rather than the exception, within the U.S. sphere of influence. Why not in a country outside the U.S. sphere of influence as well?

When I was young, the general opinion of Japanese imports was justified. But the Japanese government recognized the problem, and made a policy decision to turn around world perception of Japanese exports. The government leaders went to the captains of industry and read them the riot act. They told them that it was a matter of national interest and national pride to create a new manufacturing paradigm, and that henceforth they were to move from making cheap goods to making quality goods. It didn't happen by accident, and while improvements in technology were important, the real matter was the decision to begin investing in serious quality control. Quality does not happen by accident, nor is it linked to any culture. It's a management decision to invest the money needed to make it happen, and in Japan that management decision was pushed hard by government.

The U.S. never did anything like that. Maybe because we were the world economic leader and it didn't seem necessary; or maybe because of the American aversion to government influence in business. Maybe because we've always been a country of robber barons.

As for the safety of Chinese cars, Chinese industry is still in its youth, and as such, quality and safety are at this time both very suspect. They are capable of making quality products, but the present state of Chinese industry warrants a great deal of caution. I'll look carefully at crash tests and Consumer Reports testing before I buy a freeway-capable Chinese car. But if I live long enough I think it entirely possible that China will eventually produce cars as good as anyone else (though the size of the country may make it hard to implement a Japan-style nation-wide quality revolution).

17. zeeman

zeeman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    well said.
    all true, including that bush's policy (and him being a part of oil oligarchy) seem to have accelerated the process of people getting out of gas guzzling mode to economy-green-save_the_planet mode.

18. zeeman

zeeman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    actually I do not think of China as being Red, i emphasized the words red China as this is how many Americans see it, thanks to generations old indoctrination. After all, mass people of China and Russia are as indoctrinated as mass people in America.

I do not classify people by color, race, beliefs of color of their hair.
    That is why divide and conquer techniques were so effective for thousands of years and still are effective today. That is why majority of the mass people are just the prisoners in Plato's cave, looking at the shadows on the wall, thinking that shadows are real. or if you want a more modern allegory -- that is why majority of the people are in the matrix of illusion, just like in the movie by the same name.

See, long ago I learned how people are manipulated with words, sounds and images, words, sounds and images that create beliefs, when enough of systematic repetition is applied. Then, those unreal things become real because one's mind makes them real. Therefore in minds of mass people a computer database (Al Queda) becomes a real terrorist organization, or threat of WMD becomes real, or threat of biological attack by some rogue nation permeates the national consciousness.

with enough repetition people would believe that their government, their military, their country is comprised of good guys (no matter how evil things they do), yet other people from other countries (who are defending their existence) are evil. conversely, governments of other countries may preach/indoctrinate their people into similar beliefs.
    It is so simple to pit one American against any other national and same is true the other way around.

the same motto "we will win the war by slogans" applies to the U.S. and Western nations as it is applies to Russia and China.

that is why media is constantly pumping out NLP words like "terror" "terrorist", "nuclear", "rogue nations", "militia", "WMD", "Saddam", "Bin Laden", "Al Queda", "school shooting", "tasered", "shot", "insurgent", <insert another boogeyman, rogue country, "terror cell" or different person/group here>
    is not even funny how simple is to do this.

Media (more precisely -- those who control it) creates beliefs of the people, and those beliefs become a reference point. Within a generation new level of indoctrination is reached, and if you keep doing this same indoctrination generation after generation -- indoctrinated people believe anything.

For example, starting with the generation that was born shortly before 9/11 (and reached certain self conscious level) and all other generations that are born afterwards will be indoctrinated with the idea that the world always had "war on terror" .

simply, they will not know different as there will be no other belief served by the media than there is "big bad terrorist that is gonna get us" as well "do as you are told or you will get tasered" that all serve
    in a complacent, obedient society that respects authority.

Media, schools, and majority of the parents (that were already indoctrinated earlier) will reinforce that idea. Therefore such idea will become their reality, the only reality, unless they somehow deprogram themselves. Only then will they be able to even understand that there could be a different possibility, but good luck with that.

those who wore born in countries where indoctrination was less sophisticated and less complete are able to see lot easier how incredibly indoctrinated and xenophobic Americans are, especially post 9/11 when media machine went into overdrive mode.

So, Red, black, us, them... are all used to divide and rule.

only if people read more they would understand that this is an old method Divide et impera (Divide and rule)

Dixi

19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Partially correct. Ever hear of W. Edwards Deming?

The W. Edwards Deming Institute: The W. Edwards Deming Institute

He is considered the Father of Quality Control. There is a statue of him - in Japan. Although Deming is as American as apple pie, his truly groundbreaking ideas on quality were all but ignored by American industry

The Japanese seemed eager to listen to him in the 1950's. The rest is history. Deming refused any royalty from his work in Japan.

The Japanese so highly respect Deming that JUSE (Japanese Union of Scientists and Engineers) created the Deming Prize. The Prime Minister of Japan awarded Deming the Order of the Sacred Treasure, Second Class, one of the highest awards of Japan and the highest award ever given by Japan to a non-asian

Deming's 14 Points and Seven Deadly Diseases are profoundly ignored by GM, Ford, and the like

20. dex20000

dex20000 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That is a very ignorant thing to say. You are consuming Chinese made goods all the time and you had no idea. You should realize by now, many car parts are already made in China. So you won't buy Chinese crap? You have no choice these days. What about our own US made crap (especially cars)? You don't buy it either? Oh I guess you will only buy German and Japanese cars, but what if they were built here? Chances are the cell phone and tv and many other electronics that you use either are made in China or have tons of parts from there. The bottom line is that you've got no clue what is good and not.