1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bye Bye Fuel Economy!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Bill Lumbergh, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

at this time of year it's really easy to kill good mileage just with a couple of cold mornings. 100 lbs of battery just takes forever to warm up. And winter gas is another bad feature of this time of year. Worse for Mohawk gas. I'd hate to look at the wife's mileage right now what with all her short trips. I'm guessing 6.2 6.3 l per hundred.

2. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah, here in South Florida, I get better mileage during the fall/winter. I roll with the windows down a lot more.

Even with the rims, I get over 50 MPG at this time of year.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fibb222 @ Nov 6 2006, 10:32 PM) [snapback]344867[/snapback]</div>
    That's pretty good. The wet weather (even though mild) has taken a toll in mileage. I'm currently at 4.6L/100km (just dropped it from 4.7L/100km this morning on the way to school).

4. Blegate

Blegate Prius Gen III 2013

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Quick question, where I live it's raining like cats and dogs now + it's cold- mid 50s. Usually I fill up @ 2pips (or 420+- miles) but lately the pump is shutting off @ 7.0- 7.2 gallons where typically I should be getting 8.5 or more gallons. My trip ODM has been significantly less the last two fill ups- about 325 miles. Typically I hit low 400's @ 2 pips before requiring a fill up. Does cold weather effect the bladder that much? I thought it was only during the summer months.

BTW- the MFD says I'm getting 47mpg. Which I think is okay considering we are having so much rain lately

brian

5. Frank Hudon

that is probably in the range of "bladder effect" from the mid 80's to the low 30's F some of them will exhibit that amount of deviation. The wifes 2k4 will and my 2k3 will be about half that. With winter coming on were going to see more such comments and the dreaded I ran out of gas but only went 380 or thereabouts complaints again till spring espceially with the latest bunch of owners going into the winter. Water on the roads will really hurt the mileage as well, probably more than the bladder.

6. Blegate

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Nov 8 2006, 11:22 PM) [snapback]346065[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks... I get it now. I purchased the car back in May -bo I have no expereince with it in the winter.
    b

7. zzyzx

zzyzx Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusBrian @ Nov 8 2006, 09:44 PM) [snapback]346082[/snapback]</div>

This is my first winter experience too. This tank I'm fighting to get it up to 48. I so miss those 53-54 summer tanks.

8. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Nov 6 2006, 10:10 PM) [snapback]344838[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry I could use some help here.

Please tell me more about the radiator blocker?

My economy has dropped from 44mpg to 39mpg in the recent weeks :(

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm struggling to get 43mpg right now. I almost never drive faster than 65mph but I'm not going through the hypermiler stuff though. I get enough angry looks and fingers already....

I'm going to swap back to stock wheels for the winter and put a smaller subwoofer box in the car which would cut about 50lbs. I'll pray I get back to my normal 44-45mpg in winter.

Temps are in the 60s for highs and high 30s for lows.

10. Blegate

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I checked my tire pressure and all were at 35, so I bumped it up to 42/40. I also stuck to 59MPH with cruise and my mileage shot back up dramatically. I keep on forgetting to use cruise mode.
    -b

11. Frank Hudon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ecojosh @ Nov 12 2006, 10:52 AM) [snapback]347866[/snapback]</div>
    hdrygas has taken a Prius Bra and modified it so he can block off the lower grill opening and also the upper grill, it has zippers on it so he can open it a bit if the OAT goes up and so does the ICE temp. It's actually one of the best for the G2 Prius that I've seen. I half expected him to post where you can see pix's of it. Me with my Classic I use pipe insulation that I've cut and glued to plug the lower grill area and help keep the ICE warm.

12. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Nov 12 2006, 09:26 PM) [snapback]348036[/snapback]</div>
    Could you post a picture of what you did? I don't want to put on a Bra. Did you remove the plastic cover and then cover something? Please post as many details as possible :)

13. Frank Hudon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ecojosh @ Nov 13 2006, 06:45 AM) [snapback]348142[/snapback]</div>
    the grill on the Classic is totally different than the G2 and the pipe insulation won't work very well. I've looked at the wifes k24 and with out a lot of work there doesn't seem to be a really easy solution. Some of the other posters have taken to putting a sheet of plastic corrugated sign board down in front of the rad, but be sure to not block off the bottom 4 inches of the rad as that is the section that is the inverter cooler.

14. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think the pipe insulation works very well for the Prius II. Use the cheap grey foam from your favorite home center store, get the insulation for a 1 inch iron pipe, 3 feet long fits perfect. Cut in half length wise, take each half-fold in half again-stuff in slots in grill. Friction fit holds it in place all winter. It's not a perfect 100% air block, but when the OAT sensor reads greater than outside ambient it shows that air is blocked.

Wayne

15. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Nov 13 2006, 08:52 AM) [snapback]348185[/snapback]</div>
    THANK YOU

BUT... can you post a pic so I can be sure to get it right :)

I think my tire choice is hurting my economy but these tires grip so well it's amazing. The car will do anything I ask without making even a small screech. It's like being on rails and the wet weather grip is really better then factory tires. Sadly I am paying for this with economy though

Thanks,

Josh

16. croyal

croyal New Member

Hello All,

I'm still a newbie at 5900 miles. I've never had a tank average over 48MPG (usingthe display.) Last tank "tanked" to 39mpg with the cold weather. I'vealready done these things:

No lead foot driving
    cruise control- even at 25 mph city
    tires at 37/35
    I coast a lot- as much as I can
    Car in PArk when at long red lights
    No extra weight
    Oil change at dealer at 4800 mi

What am i doing wrong?

Potential for the car having issues? I notice on the display the ICE running and not charging the battering even when coasting. 49-65 mpg showing at those times going down hills.

I do use the heater- does this drain the mileage as when?

I'd appreciate your input.

Chris

17. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(croyal @ Nov 16 2006, 03:20 PM) [snapback]350427[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to PriusChat, croyal! :D

To begin with, your mileage figures aren't particularly unusual for a Prius.

Learn about Pulse & Glide driving techniques

DON'T use cruise control...it hurts your mileage

There's coasting, and then there's gliding. Gliding helps you more.

No need to put the Prius in Park when stopped at a light. It turns off automatically already.

Make sure the dealer didn't overfill the oil.

The heater can drain mileage just a bit because the system has to run the engine to make heat.

I'm sure other more experienced drivers can tell you more than I, but you came to the right place.

Vince

18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, croyal.

A few suggestions:

Cruise control isn't the best for mileage. You'll likely do better on your own, letting the car speed up down the hills and slow down going up. (traffic permitting, of course.)

You could pump up the tires a bit, like to 42/40.

You're not using 'b' mode, are you?

The heater isn't nearly as big a mileage killer as the front defroster is. Try cycling it on and off when you need it.

Good luck!

19. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    1. I have to disagree with the CC generically being a bad idea. Yes, at certain points you can do better, certainly in regular traffic and especially if you get long glide areas. BUT, if you are on a long trip with little traffic controls (interstate, etc), you'll likely mess up more than get it right.
    2. If you are using the automatic climate control, hit the switch on the steering wheel to turn it off at red lights. As it gets colder, the engine may not shut down at red lights while you are pulling heat off it. The car won't cool down much while you sit at the light. Hit the switch again when you start moving.
    3. Besides no lead foot starts, don't do lead foot stops either. You can gain a lot by checking ahead and seeing when you will have to stop if you continue at your current speed. Coast or glide, or even just let up on the gas to arrive as the last car at the light is getting back up to your speed. Stopping and then starting kills your mileage. Basic physics :) I happened to be following a friend for about 3 miles a few weeks ago. Posted speeds were 25 to 45. He stopped at every light, I never went below 20 MPH.

20. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    if using pipe foam tubing, get the 4' ones. the top grill is short enough for 3' but the bottom grill needs 4' for single pieces.

best bet is to cut the tube in half for the bottom grill, and use 3/8th foam for the top half.

i use cruise control most of the time simply because i usually have other things to think about when i am driving. sure there are times when manual control would be ok. but if im in the car with someone else, it simply takes too much of my concentration to drive efficiently. CC is not the best way, but in many cases it is the best answer.