1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bypass Oil Filtration?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by KiwiAl, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I should have added the oil is in direct contact with the MG's so it makes sense to cool the oil directly rather than let it transmit any extra heat through the casing to the coolant possibly raising the temperat
    I have three methods of monitoring the temperatures:-
    Priidash using a bluetooth Elm
    Torque App using android phone or tablet, again with the Elm
    Techstream using the mini VCI.

I find some anti virus programs report the update feature on the disc as a virus.
    My car is a 2008 so is near the end of the production run and probably has the latest firmware.
    The AC operations can be altered with the VCI to cure your problem in that area.
    I sometimes get a situation when the engine shuts down it may stop in the wrong position and the MG1 kicks it over to re position it, but I have not come across your problem. I will see if I can find anything relevant, and let you know.

John (Britprius)

2. KiwiAl

KiwiAl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    P.P.S. Regarding your idea of using a Inverter coolant pump to pump the ATF, I suspect the higher viscosity may be a challenge for it. Still think increased Inverter circuit cooling might be better. Does the ATF actually get too hot? Remember that the heat capacity (and conductivity too?) of water is much higher than that of oil (and ATF?), so cooling the coolant more seems to make more sense to me. That said, if the coolant galleries within the motors are transferring heat up near their theoretical limits, increasing the cooling capacity of the rest of the system isn't going to help much. OTOH, maybe all you need to do is boost the coolant flow rate through the system? The design size has probably been optimised based on the 12V Power Consumption, and maybe a bigger circulation pump and larger diameter hoses would achieve the result you are after?

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I find the temperatures go up at lower speeds and drop as speeds go up so a fan on the coolant rad would probably be beneficial. The transmission oil is quite thin and I could easily current limit the pump motor to the same running current as in it OEM position. This would reduce it's flow rate, but I do not think that would matter.
    The rise in temperatures when towing are not that much as to raise concern "possibly no more than would be seen in a hot climate", but I feel anything that brings the temperature down must be beneficial.

John (Britprius)

4. KiwiAl

KiwiAl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi again John,

Good point! I'm not too familiar now with the MG cooling system, but I was under the impression that where were coolant pipes running through or around the motors. Is that the situation, do you know? If so, it seems to be the best way to get the heat out, but if as you suggest, it's via the ATF to the case, then I would agree with you 100%. Cool the ATF directly as well!

5. KiwiAl

KiwiAl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One other point:

The Transaxle is sealed to prevent water vapour getting in, due to the High Voltages present. It has a one-way relief/purge valve which allows internal air/vapour pressure to escape, but does not allow (potentially [invariably? in the UK] moist) air back in. Thus, the transmission housing holds a partial vacuum at all other times. Probably not sufficient vacuum to be a problem with crushing hoses, but running hoses, pumps etc carrying ATF around outside the transaxle will provide increased opportunities for moisture penetration - even by osmosis through the hoses, not to mention air leaks in pump seals, etc.

I think I might've put myself off the idea of External ATF Fine Filtration now...

The ICE is still a clear candidate.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't own one.
    My company does...and yes.
    They buy them to be 'fashionable' and with a fleet of Priuses to maintain you may rest well assured that if using AMSOIL, magnetic molecular descramblers, tornado air filters or any other bolt-on for "conservation" was effective, then they would already be doing so.

Priuses have a fairly large oil filter serving a very diminutive sump capacity.
    They also have a 16,000km oil change periodicity (in America) and a fairly inattentive set of operators where volume checks are concerned.
    Filtration isn't the problem.

All of this results in a a vehicle that is still surprisingly robust where motor replacements are concerned.
    I've talked to our fleet managers, several dealerships, and some independent mechanics and I have yet to meet a single person who has actually replaced a motor in a car model that has been on the streets for almost a decade and a half.
    This forum has over 100,000 members and I've only heard a handful of stories where car engines have gone TANGO-UNIFORM from all causes, and the vast majority of Priuses attain a service life of more than 300,000km with the OEM oil/filtration.
    Most of the lubrication failures.....in MY never to be humbled opinion....could be eliminated entirely through regular oil level checks while still retaining the 10,000 mile change periodicity and OEM oil/filters.
    I would also humbly submit that the 10,000 mile interval is overly long, but that would incite more meaningless discussions where people demand "proof" while offering only opinions.

If this were a viable solution?
    Costco would be selling them by the case. ;)

#26 ETC(SS), Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    KiwiAl likes this.
  7. KiwiAl

KiwiAl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now THAT'S What I call an answer! Many thanks ETC(SS). Close to what I was after.

My reason for contemplating Bypass Filtration isn't / wasn't to avoid engine replacement though. My interest is in avoiding the dreaded early oil-burning issue that I have read about here and heard about locally. I don't know what the cause of it is, and maybe the truth is it's the exact opposite of wear. Maybe it's the result of overly gentle driving, causing glazing of the bores. That will produce excessive blow-by and oil consumption. But a new set of rings and a cylinder hone - does that qualify as an engine replacement?

Anyway, here in NZ, we have fleets of Prius G2 & G3 taxis. Though I haven't seen a lot of evidence of this myself, I have heard from a reliable source (a Toyota mechanic) that they have a tendency to start burning oil after a while. That bothered me, because I would have thought taxi operation, especially in a country with serious urban sprawl, would have been the ideal work for them. Maybe not.

Japanese engines have long been admired for their robustness and ability to withstand neglect and abuse, and Toyotas are no exception. But when I see fellow Prius drivers around town, they are all driving so sedately, so daintily, taxis included. I guess they are trying to save fuel.

I can't be bothered with that. The car saves fuel regardless, so long as one gives it enough time to regen during deceleration. I can't be bothered with gliding (never much opportunity here anyway), so I accelerate "robustly" and try to start slowing down early. And I have been utterly AMAZED at the number of idiots and morons on the road, who, like me are approaching a red light (for which I am busy slowing down in regen mode), but who will make a point of changing lanes and accelerating past me, just so they can show me their brake lights as they haul up for the same stop light that I started responding to 100 metres back. I frequently end up, pulled up beside them, and invariably make a point of looking over, but they almost never look back. They keep their eyes straight ahead, and I wonder if they know they are idiots, or are just too stupid. I guess watching moving traffic IS pretty interesting...

Anyway, I give other cars drags from the lights, throw her around corners and generally try to show other drivers that a Prius is NOT just for pussies and greenies. Call me contrary. That's why I was interested in Bypass Filtration.

P.S. I tend to agree with you that 10,000 miles seems a very long OCI. However, having just changed my G2 oil after 10 (11?),000 km, I was very impressed at how little discoloration was present. Any other non-hybrid engine would have dirtied the oil much more in this time. I believe this shows how much of the oil contamination occurs during idling. This actually does make some sense. If you have had the opportunity to study engine blow-by, you would probably agree that there is a hugely disproportionate amount during idling. AIUI, this is because at idle, the combustion pressure are very low, just enough to keep the engine turning over. (If you run an engine with no muffler, you'll hear the difference - almost no noise at idle, but huge noise under load.) Anyway, under load, the compression rings flex and expand due to the higher gas pressure, and make a much better seal with the bore. There is much less blow-by, compared with the power output. So, simply cutting out the idling means all that idle-generated blow-by, which contains many more contaminants due to the poor combustion that occurs at idle, does not happen. On that basis, the extended OCI, MAY be justified. But that's just a suggestion, not even my opinion!

#27 KiwiAl, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  8. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah I've always thought the oil in my Prius still looked in remarkably good condition at 10,000 km Al. Mine has a pretty easy life (oil duty wise), with most of the trips being moderately long (50km each way), and at only moderate speeds (60 to 90 km/hr).

For several years now I've been extending my changes out to 15000 km, or sometimes even a bit more, for a nominal 6 month oil change interval. No ill effects noticed so far, but I do top off pretty religiously and never let it get lower than about the 2/3 point on the dipstick.

Regarding the use of bypass filtering, that's something I often thought about too, but TBH I've always been too lazy to actually do on any car I've owned. My understanding is that the main advantage is the removal of finer particle sizes than what is possible with a full flow filter. I believe that any negative effects of very fine particles is most pronounced when the minimum oil thickness (MOT) in the bearings is too low. Given that we generally use thicker (higher viscosity) oils in Aus and NZ, we're probably less likely to suffer from any problems related to MOT (if such a problem does exist). :)

9. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi uart, I agree, but don't forget the other moving parts. Piston rings and some parts of the valve train have oil film thicknesses much thinner than in the crankshaft and camshaft bearings. Some parts such as the timing chain and tappets, run by design with oil film thickness approaching zero no matter what the oil viscosity. Such parts are kept alive mainly by the anti-wear additives in the oil.

So at least theoretically, there must be some wear reduction benefit from also filtering out particles that are much smaller than the minimum oil thickness of the bearings. Whether it is cost effective is another question. Yet another question is if it would help prevent excessive motor oil consumption in high milage Prius engines.

[​IMG]

SFO and KiwiAl like this.
  10. KiwiAl

KiwiAl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Fred_H,

Exactly! For now I've settled for a Z432HE Full Flow Oil Filter.

A Great graphic...

And thought-provoking quote. However, there never was any possibility of a lack of stone...

With the likes of G.W. Bush and friends pushing the oil wagon, I can't see any better alternative. I mean, would you want GWB and cronies in charge of anything more dangerous than something so stable that it has been lying there maturing, under the ground, since dinosaurs roamed the Earth?

GWB and Nuclear Power??? God Help Us!

Regards,
    Al

11. CARspec

CARspec Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I thought (although the discussion has moved past it a bit) I'd chime in with my observation on Prii burning oil: all that I've seen are either fleet-use or suffered poor maintenance/extended oil changes. It is really rare for a well maintained Prius to burn oil. I don't think you can point fingers at any particular cause other than hard use or poor maintenance.

I worked at a Toyota dealership and just opened my own Toyota shop, so the evidence is anecdotal but based on my observation.

12. KiwiAl

KiwiAl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your input. I guess "fleet-use" means driven mercilessly - and in some cases, such as some rental car fleets, poorly maintained?

Without doing more research here, I'll guess that the people here who have reported oil burning have bought used cars with poor maintenance histories. But your comments are very reassuring.

13. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    KiwiAl. The extended mirrors prevent a large blind spot with overtaking vehicles, and how close I am to hedgerows and walls in narrow country roads on the passengers side. I also have a camera fitted on the rear of the van with a clip on LCD screen on the interior mirror so that I can see traffic behind the van.

John (Britprius)

#33 Britprius, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  14. KiwiAl

KiwiAl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi John,

Wasn't trying to be smart - I understand what the mirror is about - just thought it looked like a good design. Easy to put on and remove, without permanently altering the car. Yes, I've driven those narrow country lanes you have in the UK. One learns to be a better and more considerate driver as a result.

15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I did not in any way take it that you were trying to be smart. Rather "not knowing about your experience with our UK roads" explaining the possibly strange looking attachments that are a must for roads that are sometimes not much wider than the van. This is perhaps more relevant to some of our US friends that may not have experience with such roads or rarely travel them.

John (Britprius)

#35 Britprius, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014