1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured bZ4X already recalled for wheels coming loose

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Gokhan, Jun 24, 2022.

1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Always used those when changing the oil, even the Lexus NXh. Always asked for one when getting the oil filter core. Surprisingly the local dealer is very price competitive when it comes to filters. Never had a leak in the last 20 years of changing oil on 4 different models.

iPad ? Pro

Gokhan likes this.
  2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Must be, I got a greater capacity battery and a restart on its warranty out of the deal. :D

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wait! I thought you are using a Viton O-ring. I switched from the crush washer to the Viton O-ring after reading your recommendation.

4. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I am still using Viton o-rings. I experimented with Nissan copper crush washers prior to using the Viton o-rings. Now, I prefer the Viton o-rings, but not everybody knows how not to overtighten them.

All those manufacturers offering composite polymer oil pans with glass filled nylon 6-6 drain plugs are using HNBR or Viton o-rings. They do have built in stops to prevent overtightening. That includes Ford, BMW, VW and Audi. More manufacturers are going to o-rings instead of metal crush washers.

If I were to design a metal oil pan and plug, I would use the plug to squeeze the o-ring between the neck of the recess and the curved surface of the plug itself. It's equivalent to how a piston ring seals, That way, very little pressure is used to retain the seal.

#44 Georgina Rudkus, Jul 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
    Salamander_King likes this.