1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

bZ4X Charging Curve

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by Tideland Prius, May 2, 2022.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Hmm, Tesla-esque curve but without the power. A bit disappointing. Would be interested to see the curve on the Panasonic battery.

drash and jerrymildred like this.
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I saw that yesterday, too, and was going to post the link. Crazy! Kyle really seemed to love the way it drove. If only it didn't take all day to charge it up. I'll be surprised if Toyota doesn't speed up the charging so some reasonable level. Probably not Ioniq 5 speeds, but maybe Mustang speeds.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Yeah other than the price being high - the charging speed/time does not make it a Road Warrior by any sense of the imagination. Overall, it still seems ...... ok
    Not sure how the reviewer makes out other cars as "stress their batteries" while charging faster. Hyundai-kia is using 800v. That doesn't mean their battery is being stressed.

4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota engineers believed the Toyota/Lexus marketing???

Seriously though, my guess is Toyota will make an OTA update to increase this rate after they get more data and are confident in the ability of the batteries to handle a more aggressive curve.

A peak of 88kW though, and the rapid and early downward slope is disappointing.

Tideland Prius and drash like this.
  5. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Holy buffer! His spreadsheet showed it only only using a total of 61 kWh?! I’m guessing 62 kWh if it goes to 100%, maybe. Toyota is only allowing 85% of the battery. Typical Toyota!

iPad ? Pro

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is only for DC fast charger, isn't it? It would be similar for Subie Solterra since they use the same battery. Well, since we have no charge station near me, the DC fast charging characteristic of any BEV is disregarded for the most part. But if I get Solterra, this would make it completely impossible to use the car for a long trip.

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup! I was thinking they would be very expensive daily-go-to-work cars at that price and charging speed.

8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends if this is a battery chemistry limitation or software issue.
    If it is software, the charging curve may be different.

And as was mentioned earlier, the battery for the front wheel drive is different. It is rated at 150kW vs 100kW. So it should charge much faster.
    If Toyota has more confidence in the FWD bat chemistry, the curve may be far more generous, leading to a charging rate above the 50% gain the kW would indicate.

9. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At this point, Leaf is starting to look very attractive again. If lucky, I can trade my PP for a Leaf SV and the dealer pays me. The thing is that a base Leaf with only 150 miles of EV range would be fine for 95% of my driving, but it will be purely for in-town use. I can't even drive it from the dealer to my home. The longer-range Leaf Plus is about the same range as bZ4X AWD or Solterra, but costs ~$10K less.

But, I have upcoming medical trips I have to make 500+ miles driving in a day. Looks like, I may have to keep my PP a bit longer.

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, but I don't want to buy Toyota bZ4X due to the fact that our local Toyota dealer is not even taking orders yet and are likely to run out of the fed credit before I can get my hand on it. If I am getting a BEV, it will be Solterra which I already have an order in with paid deposit, but it is not available in FWD with a Pana battery. Even if it is a software issue that can be fixed, currently, the nearest DC fast charger is ~268 miles away, making it impossible for me to get there by either bZ4X or Solterra (or almost any other non-Tesla BEVs on market now). If I want to make a trip that far, I have to stay overnight somewhere closer to a charge station that has an L2 charger. And if even I did that, most of the CCS chargers in my states are 50-62.5kW max, making it again way too time-consuming to travel on electron alone.

11. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They’ll have to fix it. A lot of these reviews have the reviewers telling everybody Toyota said it can be charged to 80% in less than an hour. In this litigious society one has to assume a false advertising class action claim will quickly follow the first real sale. Can’t believe the engineers didn’t see this in their testing. Hopefully this was fixed in production after they released the press units.

iPad ? Pro

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The difference might not have to do with the battery, but with the front motor difference; 150kW to 80kW. In which case, the best that Toyota has as an option is allowing more charge time in the 80kW to 100kW range.

Zythryn likes this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah. The interior is fine and some of the options are fine but honestly, this is one vehicle where if I was seriously considering it, I’d actually get a lower trim level. In Canada, that would be the LE FWD. save money on cost plus get the Panasonic battery with 150kW charging. Besides, the higher trims don’t add as many features as the competition. In Canada, the top XLE AWD w/ Technology package costs more than my EV6!! (With way fewer features and not to mention lower spec). A RAV4 Prime actually looks attractive compared to a loaded bZ4X.

Not sure either. Hopefully Hyundai/Kia have good cooling but 800V should have lower current to begin with. Plus we always have the option of using 50kW or 150kW DCFCs and still get max speed (vs another vehicle that may only get 38-43kW on the 50kW and 125-140kW on the 150kW.

Yeah so I’m wondering if Toyota would allow for a full charge on their bZ4X since that’s 85%. Or even just 90% charge which will put it near 80% true SOC. That way? You can utilize more of the battery since Toyota already squirrelled away a portion for you. Basically, make charging much easier for non car people instead of having to remember to change the charge limits when you go on a road trip.

Yes. Or hope some time down the line that either the Panasonic batteries make their way to the AWD version too or that CATL or Toyota unlocks a higher charging speed for the CATL batteries.

Interesting. You think Toyota uses the motor to charge rather than a DC-DC converter?

14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    But the reviewer in the video here had forgotten to change the charge limit before starting the test.
    I am guessing he had changed it beforehand for some reason. The setting from the factory is likely that very safe limit, though I thought that was the case with most BEVs.
    Had the discussion with @drash in the other thread. They brought up the car's DC-DC converter possibly being the limiting factor. The converter is bundled with the motors in EVs, so a two motor one will have two. When the AWD model got the front FWD one swapped for a lower output unit, that DC-DC converter was also swapped for one that matched the 80kW motor better.

Only one of the converters on the AWD is used in charging. I don't know if both could be used in tandem, but that likely would require additional hardware. That could mean a 200kW charge limit, if possible.

Tideland Prius likes this.