1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

bZ4X - Start Your Impossible

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by john1701a, Apr 12, 2022.

1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A little too late for talking about having 3 cars per household or garage. 5 families within a mile of my home on just my road have 3 and more cars parked outside and I would consider it impossible to try and sell a bZ4X to any of them. :)

The 3rd quarter the credit will drop to 50% or up to $3,600, the 4th quarter will be 25% of $7,200 or up to $1,800. The 5th quarter will zero out any credit. These are calendar quarters BTW. So for the Prius Prime you would get $4,502 for the first 2 quarters, $2,251 for the 3rd quarter, and $1,125.50 for final quarter.

hill likes this.
  2. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Just checked Toyota's website for their first BEV and it is a glorious "meh" for me.
    I find it overpriced, there is nickel and diming on the options of the XLE vs Limited. There is no LE/cheaper variant. No head-up display, not even as an option. No adaptive headlights (federal law has been updated to my knowledge and the Prime in Europe offers it). Design is questionable. No colors (several variations of greyscale and red). Of course it is a cross-over. The range is meh vs competition.

BTW: The Digital Key is only with a subscription and you need the Toyota App - no support from Apple (so this means it is a closed system).

It seems like a car made quickly because they needed to make a BEV after all the criticism and scrutiny they got recently.

I am keeping my Prime, thank you very much.
    This article summarizes many of my impressions.

PS: the best is the fine print on the charger they offer as an option for $699, no shipping and installing included (see attached image and fine print - my bold):
    Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 1.02.48 PM.png
    Are they serious?? You sell me a charger from a third party on your own website, while ordering your car, and you tell it is not tested for the car I am buying it for and "might" void my warranty?

Waiting to see if and when they come out with a more serious offering. A Prius with a solid-state battery perhaps with more than 250mi range. In 2030 maybe. In the meantime the other manufacturers...(and I am looking at them for my next purchase in 2-3 years).

Toyota has been my go-to manufacturer, this BEV is making me look elsewhere. Because my next car needs to be a BEV, and this car is definitely not it.
    PS: I will never buy a Tesla.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a 3rd party product, not a Toyota branded product so that's your typical CYA statement; nothing new there. Not sure why you're worked up on it.

You still need to buy a L2 240V EVSE, Toyota's just making it easier by offering it at the dealer, that's all.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's their first iteration. Think of it like the 1990s Prius, not exactly a whole lot to write home about, compared to now days - but still good for what it was/is.
    That said, $699 is a heck of a lot for an L2 evse. I paid less than ½ that for an 80 amp Tesla wall unit.

5. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Because if on their website they sell something specifically necessary for their own car and it "might" void the warranty of a device not tested to work on their own car, why offer it in the first place. Either you offer a solution, with a third-party - sure, that is tested and "might" not void the warranty, or don't offer me anything at all. I'll go and find an EVSE myself and void the warranty myself, thank you very much.
    I don't find it serious to sell something that might void your own vehicle's warranty. Either you sell it and it is approved by Toyota, or I can go down the road and by something cheaper that does the same job. And "might" void the warranty. Like every time I go and charge my Prime at a charging station.
    That's why I am worked up about it.
    Other manufacturers offer their own branded EVSE and they are certified to work with their vehicles and they don't void any warranty. Toyota doesn't even offer their own and the one they offer, voids the warranty of the vehicle it is supposed to charge.
    Clearly BEVs are not their focus. Not that we didn't notice.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Why would there be a stripped down model, from any automaker? We are not to that stage yet, not even close. We are still stuck in the subsidy & infrastructure part of initial rollout. Heck, there are several misconceptions thriving. Cheaper will follow.

The new display location is a replacement for heads-up, standard. Many reviewers have pointed out their initial uncertainty & concern, but then found it quite nice. This is one of those hypocritical features, where others claim Toyota is conservative and avoids ever taking a risk... then they find obvious contradiction staring them (quite literally) in the face.

Know your audience. 4X targets Toyota customers. It is not a conquest vehicle. Priorities differ. Of course, range similar to other vehicles... like the base F-150 and ID.4 and Ioniq 5

#66 john1701a, Apr 18, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That claim is quite a mess. Toyota offers their own level-1. You can order it from the parts department. No big deal. Though, it is quite expensive. As for other manufacturers, who? I know of no legacy automaker with their own level-2 branded EVSE. Why would they want to do that anyway? That liability avoidance is why there is an aftermarket market.

8. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ummm, that's not exactly what is implied. Go back and read it carefully, especially the part you put in bold. And yes they have to put that in because it's for same the reason they tell you Do Not Eat in instructions that have those dry packets in electronics.

9. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    BMW

10. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    “Installation of this product may impact your vehicles' warranty”

That for me says it all.

11. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wonder if that disclaimer is for legal purposes in our litigious society.

I recently had to take some medicine short term for a medical problem. Looking over the listed side effects was sobering. Perhaps the most sobering of all the listed side effects was of course, possible death. This probably has to be listed on almost any medicine these days to avoid potential lawsuits.

I wonder if all product manufacturers aren't forced to preemptively list warning as Toyota did on the charger.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Warnings - because you can never give people to much credit

Screenshot_2022-04-18-16-51-21-09_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpeg

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    $999.99 for 7.7 kW ... That for me says it all.

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yikes! And double ouch !!

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's too bad. In Canada, a base L version is offered, as is a LE trim level. Sure, it's because it's to qualify for the federal incentive (the base price has to start below CAD$45,000) but that means there is one offered for Canadians should they just need the basic vehicle. Too many vehicles now are very well equipped even as base models but as a result, the starting price has crept up.

Surprisingly, I agree with @john1701a. While I reserve the right to change my mind once I sit in one, from photos and the idea that the instrument panel should be viewable above the steering wheel, rather than through the spoke, means it's mounted high enough.

I agree with John again. Yeah, it doesn't have the best range (barely passable imo) and DCFC is poor on the AWD and average on the FWD and AC power is middling (again, cost savings - just take it from the RAV4 Prime), Toyota clearly isn't targeting those that want the latest and greatest. It's targeting Toyota customers that expect everything to work and will work for years to come. We'll see what the final warranty is and whether it'll match their hybrids/PHEVs' 10 years/240,000km (150,000 miles) and 90% capacity retention. If so, that is the key and will help resale value. Other manufacturers with their 8 year/160,000km (100,000 mile) battery warranty only offer a 70% capacity retention. This is a big difference in capacity and mileage in warranty.

Remember, you're in America now where you can sue for practically anything because it's "not your fault" a paint can was jutting out from against the wall and you happen to walk too closely to the wall and kicked the can and spilled paint on your shoes.

Trollbait and vvillovv like this.
  16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Gerdes recommendation for those that didn't check CleanMPG was to get the Rav4 Prime instead.
    There is a Dual Level charge cord for the Bolts available instead of the standard Level 1 EVSE that can do Level 2. It's standard with the EUV, and an $295 option for the EV.

And, of course, Tesla.

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    John likely didn't mention Tesla as it's not a legacy manufacturer. Even so we kept our mobile EVSE out of the Model X we had -
    Where else could you get a 9.6 KW 40 amp mobile charger

20180905_184227.jpeg
    Sure the cable was a little thick & unwieldy - but charging fast is really nice.

vvillovv likes this.
  18. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota has not fully evaluated this product to determine its overall impact on the performance or safety of any Toyota vehicle onto which it is installed or to determine whether installation would render the vehicle illegal for operation on public roadways in any states.

This is 39 years of writing installation manuals for the Gov't. The whole thing means EXACTLY what the underlined states. And you are correct "Installation of this product may impact your vehicles' warranty - in reference to installing onto your Toyota vehicle. It does NOT mean what you are assuming which is common sense.

19. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This is where know your audience comes in.

Tesla simply isn't interested in the market where Toyota thrives. Tesla is clearly showing desire to remain a premium automotive brand and an energy company. Heavy investment in FSD, Solar and Storage confirms favor for that focus. Whatever mission Tesla had long ago to deliver an affordable vehicle solution for the masses has been all but abandoned. In fact, we can already see evidence of China moving into that position Tesla never entered.

So long story short, Tesla isn't worth mentioning in this context... the mission to reach ordinary consumers, people like my mother. That audience would never consider anything resembling "new tech" but they are very receptive to the "dull appliances" from Toyota. It is why 4X rubs enthusiasts the wrong way. They don't like KISS.

#79 john1701a, Apr 19, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
  20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So .... when Toyota is dragged Kicking and Screaming into the electric vehicle Market (example; China demanding Toyota sell ev's if Toyota wants to continue gas burner sales as well) - you get to claim Toyota is slow to market because they are conservative .....
    BUT
    https://www.tomsguide.com/news/tesla-hatchback-dollar25k-price-2023-release-possible-range-and-more
    When Tesla takes their sweet amount of time to get their cheap car to market ..... it's a different motive?
    Of COURSE Tesla isn't interested in building gas burners. the entire developing world wants to get away from fossil fuel.

#80 hill, Apr 19, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    Trollbait likes this.