1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

bZ4X - Start Your Impossible

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by john1701a, Apr 12, 2022.

1. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Funny you should mention that still seems to be the case with a lot of new Tesla owners and not only in reference to out of pocket costs of charging.
    Man that stuff got real old real fast for me after Model 3 was released. Than to see only raves about everything Tesla here in the hopes of converting a Prime market for possible new Tesla owners doubled down my pervious interest.
    Not saying I still don't admire a lot of things Tesla related, which I do, but the bias is a bit hard to put into perspective, over all.

2. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I'm pretty sure that when you are in the lead of a market with a lot of wanna-be competitors, you want to sell as many as possible as fast as possible. If you don't rush to the finish line you may never find yourself in first place again.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Trouble is, there isn't just a single race. There are multiple races with varied courses. How you win one is in no way a guarantee you'll do the same the next time around. Rushing is a tradeoff too. Resources are limited and knowing how much to invest where & when is far more complex than any online assessment can appreciate.

vvillovv likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    musk isn't interested in being number one. he is interested in getting the other car makers interested.

so far, i think he is succeeding.

i agree that he is also succeeding in making as many as fast as possible, but that is secondary.

Trollbait and Zythryn like this.
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    should be $0 - $2,600 because as a DIY'er with a little bit of patience and safety, you can do it yourself. While diligently searching for online deals, we found a Canadian fella who bought pallet load of Tesla wall Chargers which he got incentive money for. That allowed him to sell on the super cheap. After all the personal stinker deals made over the decades, it was nice to recoup some of the many bad money payouts.

drash and Trollbait like this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    How is selling everything you make, while also building more production, not selling as many as possible as fast as possible?
    There are fans here of the Tesla can do no wrong, but there is also regular postings from the other side.

I like what Tesla has done for the BEV market, but now that there is some choices actually for sale in my state, I have no interest in owning one. My defense here is no different than what I had to the anti hybrid and Prius posts we'd get in the past.

Zythryn and drash like this.
  7. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Well, if you are going to include the one in a lifetime deals as well as cobbled together DIY, you should also include the $25,000 for a level 3 fast DC installed in your home.

But we were talking about the normal cost of things.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A home supercharger would require 480v 3 phase at home (as well as that transformer used for your ½ dozen homes surrounding you being upgraded) & that's not something that is easily done by anyone (above DIY'er - but thanks for the silliness anyway ). That said, we DID install a step up transforme & USED rotary 3-phase converter motor at dad's - so we could run our USED Bridgeport mill.
    There are actually a few underpowered DC home Chargers available - but it doesn't really pay to charge at or above 20kW at home. Most electric cars have an algorithm that counts high DC charge rates above that amount. Once a numbered threshold of charges is satisfied, high-end charge power, as well as top end thresholds are throttled back - to assure battery capacity longevity, as well as avoiding battery warranty capacity issues.
    . https://electrek.co/2021/05/24/tesla-found-guilty-throttling-charging-speed-asked-pay-16000-thousands-owners/
    Tesla Found Guilty Of Throttling Battery Life, Charging Speed In Norway

#108 hill, Apr 21, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  9. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Installing a charger is cheap. Anyone could DIY. It is running the wiring to get to the charger that costs and there isn't any zero costs for the proper gauge cable, conduit and outlet. I had a quote of $2,000 and my run doesn't include any sheet rock (the entire run would be exposed) but does include drilling through one slab of above ground foundation concrete and 45 feet of cable. Licensed electrician done to code. My box will handle the load. And if it couldn't, it could be a lot more.

10. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    While reading the links in Hills post #108 above, I stopped my scroll at the new Tesla Roadster SpaceX edition.
    For those interested the article is https://electrek.co/2021/05/20/tesla-roadster-design-0-60-mph-1-sec-spacex-package/

I'm still wondering if throttling charging speed was / is STILL not fully understood by new owners or the legal system. Without proper throttled charging, especially of cold soaked and or overheated packs. lots more damage to both vehicle and occupant would certainly increase exponentially.
    Not that a new green owner of an electric vehicle should have to understand something as simple as battery pack degradation, or should they?

11. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The Battery Management System (BMS) handles the rate of charge if the pack is too cold or too hot.
    The supposed throttling for too much supercharger use seems to be a boogie man. Used to scare people, but really a situation very, very few will ever face.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The thing that pissed us early owners so much about capping the max charge and throttling the charge speed was that it meant more time before you could get back on the road. (Tesla's earliest comment/excuse was, "no big deal it's just a few extra minutes) Remember, owners out-of-court settlement was successful.

13. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'd like to understand the difference in Supercharger throttling as experienced both before and after. ie: when did the charge rete start dropping off from max and how far did it drop off. I've got a few more questions about when ( the date Tesla started ) throttling superchargers and what version of superchargers were being used at that time and the chargers max rates back when they started throttling..

My only understanding of long trip supercharging is from this youtube.
    youtu.be/ICtBTNRgaNM
    it's 50 minutes from the out of spec motoring channel

#113 vvillovv, Apr 22, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
  14. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    We never noticed any supercharger throttling, over the last 10 years.
    I am not saying it didn't happen, just that it never impacted us.
    My understanding is some CARS were impacted by this, but I don't know details.

Now, in general, the speed of charging does change as the battery is charged. This type of throttling is done for the health of the battery. So as you get close to full charge, the charging rate slows down.
    I believe @bwilson4web has done extensive testing on this?

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    certainly that way on my pip, and other lithium batteries i have.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is the Porsche Audi tradeoff ... less throttling because the upper / lower buffer are much larger. So - less throttling needed. The downside is you're lugging around a lot more weight which kills efficiency. Down side of Tesla is greater chance of pack capacity loss than those that use a larger upper and lower buffer

17. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks
    I was going to ask if one of you could explain the difference, because to me the two posts above appear to state opposite views of the throttling issue.

18. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    My understanding is that the throttling issue mentioned in the suit, affected a subset of early owners. As I recall, it was a fairly small subset.
    I am one of the early owners, and I never noticed any throttling on our cross-country trips.

vvillovv likes this.
  19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The whole snafu began when too many Tesla's were within battery warranty upgrades. It was a subset indeed ..... owners who were supercharging near exclusivity. The first 5 years of sales were primarily free supercharging owners. Hard not to hook up - when it cost you zero. Even if it was a hookup for just 5-10 minutes - it would add to your personal algorithm.

drash, Zythryn and vvillovv like this.
  20. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A