1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

bZ4X - Start Your Impossible

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by john1701a, Apr 12, 2022.

1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nor too many Prius. Redesign and reassignment? Noticed you can no longer get a 2022 Sequoia and the 2023 won't be sold until late Summer..

Gokhan likes this.
  2. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Still Toyota should have notified someone somewhere. Kind of sucks they leave their customers in the dark. The dealers I can see, but Toyota should have been a bit more transparent.

Gokhan likes this.
  3. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I guess Toyota couldn't care less. In fact, there is still not an official announcement, and don't be surprised if they announce just around the tax time in April that their phaseout actually had started on July 1, not October 1, and those who already filed their tax returns need to file an amended return. LOL

So, yeah, we still don't exactly know whether it was July 1 or will be October 1 until we hear something official from Toyota.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was wondering the same thing, looking at the numbers.

only thing i can come up with is that dealers are making a fortune on the rav4's and pushing toy to build as many as possible with limited resources.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Duno if it's Toyota so much - as it is the automotive corporate culture.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Prius Prime had an amazing starting price when it came out. Toyota very likely is making less per car compared to other models. In times on limited production, you cut those less profitable models first.

A company doesn't release the official sales numbers to the public until after the time period in question ends. The June results will come out soon.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish Toyota Canada had that kind of detail. Now, it's barely a paragraph.

8. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I read the last sales figures in Canada and it was just totals in general. Wonder if they are short staffed like everyone else, because they don’t release specifications anymore either or at least nothing is being kept up to date. I’m not above stealing their specs for comparison purposes or for filling in the blanks.

Well looks like they won’t be getting anymore bZ4X for awhile either beyond the 20 they already sold. August production closures are in:

August Production Plan | Corporate | Global Newsroom | Toyota Motor Corporation Official Global Website

The bZ4X (and its sister the Solterra) looks like they’ll be made for a whole week in the middle of August and nothing before or after. Even the Prius Prime and RAV4 Prime are affected but only for a day or 2 early. I was reading their minutes from investor meetings and they addressed some questions with frustration about production. They’re interesting because you can find out a couple of interesting details like each car requires about 1,000 chips. So its easy to see any glitch in supply has significant domino effects.

iPad ? Pro

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    on a much more impressive note - on how to NOT get caught with your Outsourcing pants down :
    Tesla Flexes Innovative Muscle By Manufacturing Own Chips During Supply Crunch

Hopefully this will send a strong message to the Legacy auto builders.

10. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sort of like the strong message when Tesla shipped the Model S?
    Or the strong message when Tesla finally got Model 3 production volume up?
    Or the strong message when they ramped Shanghai factory during the pandemic?
    Or ...

Mike

hill likes this.
  11. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    #171 Salamander_King, Jul 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
  12. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely wouldn't hold my breath for either one. :sleep:

13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and Ford Mach-E parked right next to my PP at parking. I was able to compare three vehicles side-by-side for the size and looks. Of course, it was not drivable, nor could I check all the details of the interior or functionality. But, my first impression was that both Ioniq 5 and Mach-E are not that much bigger or taller than PP. I confirmed my impression from seeing the photos and videos that I do not like the design and styling of Ioniq 5 but I love the looks of Mach-E. BTW, I have not seen Kia EV6 yet, but from the photo and video, I do like the styling of EV6. If I choose by the looks alone, my preference would be Mach-E, EV6, Solterra, bX4X, ID4, Ariya, and Ioniq 5 in that order among the current BEV compact SUV segment direct competitors.

bZ4X and Solterra both are slightly taller than either BEVs and have better ground clearance but other dimensions are probably in the same class as many other sub-compact SUV/Crossover. If I get Solterra, it would have to be a replacement for the PP, not for our Pathfinder Hybrid which is a substantially larger 3 rows mid-size SUV.

#173 Salamander_King, Jul 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
  14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Blazer EV is a size step up. The ICE model sits between the Equinox and the three row Traverse in Chevy's line up.

Salamander_King likes this.
  15. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Won't have the tax credit. The Blazer EV with starting Around: $44,995 price tag. But, that price is likely for the Base 1LT which is not going to be available until Winter 2024. For this year, 2LT at MSRP starting around: $47,595 is the lowest price. I have a feeling that if I want it this year, I will not find any trim that will be sold below $50K.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can confirm - EV6 is almost the same length as PP (about 1.5" longer) but it's a substantial 5" wider than the PP.

Mach-E is longer than the PP (3.2") and the wheelbase is 3" longer than the EV6 (and 1" shorter than the Ioniq5 which boasts the longest wheelbase on your list)

Zythryn and Salamander_King like this.
  17. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well they changed their minds. Looks like the planned August shutdown is no more. Toyota revised their plans and only 2 lines in 1 plant have only Monday, August 1st off. Those lines make the RAV4 and RAV4 Prime. Just checked to see if they have resolved the recall for the bZ4X and Solterra and nope, no remedy.

Additional Adjustments to domestic production in August | Corporate | Global Newsroom | Toyota Motor Corporation Official Global Website

18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Curious why more people don't consider / talk about efficiency when they look at the differences between Mach E - Lexus - kia/Hyundai - Subaru etc.

19. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Probably because the people considering it are looking more at ICE vs EV. The differences between the EVs are minor in comparison.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    People wanted range and marketing took advantage of that.

The reason for me dismissing the Polestar was its efficiency.