1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

C/D says Prius Prime has passed its prime

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Old Bear, Apr 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Car & Drive just ran a review of the 2022 Prius Prime and concluded that what has been a cutting edge PHEV when introduced in 2017, is now surpassed by many other plug-in vehicles including the RAV4 Prime, Hyundai Ionique, etc.

While I hate to read unfavorable reviews of my beloved Prime, one of the big take-aways is that the Prime pioneered a lot of technology which has since been improved by Toyota in other plug-in offerings and has adopted by many other car makers.

Attached Files:

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Old Bear likes this.
  3. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    While I do agree with some of the findings; there is a clear niche for this type of car. I believe Toyota is using this model as a real world test bed for future cars. What do people need, want, and expect from a car like this. We can already see improvements in the Rav4 Prime. I wouldn't be surprised if the first solid state batteries, end up in a future Prime first.
    I did my homework on my Prime, before purchasing it. It has paid dividends, conservative estimates is minus $70/month in gas and plus $15/month in electricity over my old Prius C - which was the lowest cost per mile car to run in 2013. I'm averaging 108 mpg on a tank of gas; those numbers would actually go up, if I didn't take long weekend excursions that require me to run the ICE for long periods of time w/o being able to recharge.

john1701a likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Trollbait likes this.
  5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That reality messes up their narrative. It is exactly what Volt enthusiasts did too. Focus was always entirely on Prius. Everything imaginable was done to avoid, evade, and dismiss other hybrid offerings from Toyota. Those others had the potential to shatter their status quo, Prius was safe to attack. They never figured out how effective of a decoy that served.

The bitter reality of Camry hybrid offering a more appealing package with regard to size & power was a constant source of irritation. I was quite willing to keep poking with that stick too, especially as rumor of a RAV4 hybrid emerged... which would eventually shift focus over to the possibility of a RAV4 plug-in hybrid to follow. The approach Toyota took with Prius had set the stage for easy spread to other vehicles. Efforts to divert attention back to Prius was a dead giveaway of recognition their narrative was in jeopardy.

If Prius doesn't re-emerge by name, we will still see the spirit of that mission live on in the bZ nameplate. Toyota's plan to refine tech in a similar manner will become evident over time, its subtle approach continuing. Enthusiast fodder for rhetoric always comes from ratings, not real-world results. For those of us paying close attention, on-going hints of cold-climate performance should stir curiosity. Statements saying it will be "minimally impact by winter" should serve as a clue that more is at play than official numbers reveal.

It short, those unfavorable reviews are really just noise without much substance. Toyota continues to effectively achieve change, whether they get credit for it or not.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    full discussion >HERE<

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  8. blizzardgal

blizzardgal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Car and drival much like Klaus Slob and his Build back Better.

bisco likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.