1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

C0000 DTC today. red triangle abs check engine and (!)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jason in OZ, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Jason in OZ

Jason in OZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    hello all.

i guess it had to happen...

i got my first ever DTC today.... c000 looked it up and it's Toyota Vehicle Speed Information Circuit Malfunction.

it happened as i was slowing down from 70kmh in B mode for a stop light.
    i felt a small "clunk" and then the beeping and red triangle check engine light VSC ABS and the (!) were all showing. i was at he head of the lights, so when they went green i tried pulling away and had no power. engine was running and revving a little, but there was no drive.

i think the clunk was the HSD releasing maybe ?
    it didn't feel like i hit something, or metal on metal kinda noise. just a dull thud.

luckily it was downhill and i could pull off the main road onto a side street.
    i stopped the car, powered down and then turned back on. all warning lights were still on.

then i remembered that the SG2 can read and clear codes !
    i checked the code (only 1 was present) this was the c0000 vehicle speed circuit malfunction.

i figured since it wasn't a HV drive code, i could probably reset the code and see if it returned.
    so i cleared the code and the car returned to normal. i then drove the remaining 5km home with no problems.

seems strange that a vehicle speed sensor malfunction would cause no drive ?

anyone have any experience with this code ?

thanks in advance.

Jason

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am wondering about this DTC. It would be one logged by the ABS ECU, but I don't see it in the listing for GenII Prius. I see only C02XX and C12XX series DTC's for speed sensor problems. Maybe you can point to where you found that info.

If you can get the blink codes as a more specific source of info, that would be good. This involves shorting pin 4 and 13 on the OBDII connector, and making the car Ready, and looking at the sequence of flashing of the warning lights on the display. One obtains two digit numbers this way, corresponding to ABS DTC.

However, if it is indeed something to do with the speed sensors, which are interfaced directly to the ABS ECU, then you might just take off the wheels and see if the speed sensors are indeed intact and undamaged. I don't think you heard the HSD "releasing" as there is nothing there to release. So an impact is still a possibility.

3. Jason in OZ

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    thanks for the info.

the code came from the SG2 screen. i looked up that code using google, and thats where i got the info from for vehicle speed information circuit malfunction.

Generic OBD-II C Chassis Trouble Codes

its at the top of the list. its not a Toyota specific code.
    its a generic OBD2 code so it's probably the same for all cars that use OBD2.

once cleared, i drove home without a re occurrence.
    i will be driving the car today and will see if it happens again.

if it does return, then i will have to investigate further.
    though with my skill level (or lack of it) i will likely have to take it to a dealer to sort out.

Jason.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    C0000 is not a valid Toyota DTC so it is likely that although a DTC existed, your SG2 did not correctly report it.

I am wondering why you were driving in B. It usually is good to avoid that gear position unless you are trying to avoid further regen charging of the traction battery, for example if you have reached 8 green bars after a mountainous descent.

5. Jason in OZ

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    i use B mode when slowing down for lights or on long descents to Maximize regen.
    B mode doesn't limit regen. it maximizes it. the Prius will only engine brake when the HV battery is full.

i don't drive in that mode all the time.

the C0000 is not a Toyota specific code. its a generic OBD2 code (the Toyota Prius is fully OBD2 compliant)
    so while it is possible the SG2 didn't read the code correctly, it is also quite possible that it did.

drove for about an hour today, no code returned.

im wondering if the fact that the car lost speed information, it may have shut of the HSD to protect the motors,
    as we all know they are protected by the engine running (turning over anyway) above a given speed.
    without that speed information, it might have shut the HSD off to avoid any potential damage ?

im only guessing here, but i think maybe the P codes are power-train and C codes are chassis codes ?
    so it's possible i may have a failing ABS speed sensor that triggered the code ?
    i will keep watching it and see if it returns.

Jason.

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    C0000 is not listed in the Toyota repair manual as a valid DTC. ScanGauge, which is basically a generic OBD-II code reader, is not able to read many of the DTC produced by the multiple Prius ECUs.

Here are two sources which contradict your above statement:
    Questions about B Mode
    http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/b-mode.html

From the second cited source:
    "There is a lot of mystery about the "B" shift selector position in the
    Prius. The official name for it -- Engine Braking -- should provide a
    first hint as to what it is really for. Page 137 in the '04 owners' manual
    spells it out fairly clearly, in fact. But somehow a whole body of mythology
    about "more regeneration" and extra battery-charge magically appearing from
    nowhere has sprung up since, and really needs to be permanently debunked.
    In the smallest possible nutshell, "B" mode is designed to WASTE some energy
    that the car cannot recover and store."

7. Jason in OZ

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    i wonder why then do i see a BIG increase in regen current when in B mode vs not in B mode ?

typical regen under coasting is 30A maximum. usually around 25A.
    while in B mode i often see 40-50A.

and i have seen as high as 92A under brake pedal applications.

i agree that B mode will engine brake if the HV battery is full though.

Jason

8. Jason in OZ

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    also, according to this site...

Trouble-Codes

i was right.
    C codes are generic chassis codes. not manufacturer specific.

P codes are power train codes and would include the prius specific ones.

Jason.

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When you shift into B mode, would you agree that the engine speed immediately increases, given a constant vehicle speed? It you can agree to that, then please recognize that, while in B, the faster engine speed is absorbing electrical power that otherwise might be used to charge the traction battery.

Regarding your metric of regen current, the measurement (if accurate) may be capturing a "gross" value, not accounting for the power used by MG1 to spin the gasoline engine.

Looking at your cited source, it is true that a C0xxx code would be generic. A C1xxx code would be manufacturer-specific.

Nevertheless, I am assuring you that since C0000 does not exist in the Toyota Prius repair manual, that code is meaningless and will not help you to determine what is wrong with the skid control system. If you do not believe me, all you need to do is to subscribe to the Toyota repair manual website and see for yourself.

techinfo.toyota.com (North America)

Toyota Service Information
    (Europe)

Britprius likes this.
  10. Jason in OZ

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    often in B mode i would still see 0RPM on the SG2.
    and most of the time (above 46kmh), i would see 900RPM

im still only relatively new to the Prius, but so i guess it COULD be showing wasted energy, but that doesnt seem to fit in with how quickly i see the HV battery volts and SOC rise under B mode.

as i said, i don't drive in B mode most of the time.
    when i first got the car, i did, and then a read the manual :)

in the manual where it recommends not to use B mode all the time, it says that it COULD lead to increased fuel consumption. i took this to mean that due to you having to accelerate to the stop light if the car slowed TOO much...
    that COULD lead to increased fuel use.

so now i only use it for descents and long coasting stops for red lights etc.

now to get to the bottom of this DTC....
    yes it's not a Toyota specific or even Prius specific code.

but it is a valid chassis code (including the ABS system)
    so my best guess at the moment is that it is a faulty ABS or wheel speed sensor,
    and without valid speed data, the HSD shuts off to avoid potential damage due to over speed on the motors.

jason.

11. Jason in OZ

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    i stand corrected with relation to B mode.

the engine does indeed turn over in B mode, but no fuel is injected and i do see more regen in B mode than not.

as for the other code issue, ill have to wait until it shows its head again.

Jason

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Jason what Patrick was describing in B mode is that MG2 that is connected directly to the wheels will generate more current. Most of his current however will be fed to MG1 acting as a motor to spin the engine thus wasting the energy that normally would have gone to the HV battery. If a faster reduction in speed is required using the foot brake increases the regen to the battery. If you are in B mode it just increases engine revs wasting more energy.

John (Britprius)

00-00 likes this.
  13. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I see those peaks in normal Drive mode. But only briefly, as the battery can't take that sort of amperage for long.

14. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Of course you do, you're decelerating and using up the car's kinetic energy much more rapidly. If you leave it "D" mode and gently apply the brake to give the same level of deceleration then it will regen just as much or (generally) more.

15. Jason in OZ

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think I'm somewhat closer to confirming that this is an abs sensor problem.

The DTC that showed up the other day has not yet re occurred, BUT I have seen the Traction light flicker a few times in normal driving.

Not on the brakes or hard acceleration. It's definitely not a situation that would call for traction limiting or abs intervention.

So it looks (to me anyway) as if one or more of the speed sensors is intermittently faulty.

Will have to get it diagnosed properly.
    I will take the car to the mechanic and get him to run a full diagnostic sweep and a visual inspection of the abs sensor area.

I will report any findings here.

Jason.

16. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    FWIW, the light will flicker from time to time. It generally happens when going over bumps in the road or abrupt changes in elevation of pavement.

The problem gets worse with poor tires and or mismatched tires. Even tires with different tread depths can cause this to happen. A example of this would be two new tires and two old tires or a combination of one new tire and three old tires. The latter will cause more problems due to the rotations per minute of the new tire versus the old tires as the diameter of the tires will be different and cause the system to think the Prius is losing traction. (light flashing)

You will find that the traction control system in the Prius is finicky and overly aggressive.

Best of luck to you.

uart likes this.
  17. Jason in OZ

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Interesting. The road was a little bumpy. Nothing over the top though.

All 4 tyres match and have good tread depth remaining. I have Michelin LRR tyres on it. Can't remember the exact type though. They were replaced by the previous owner just before I bought the car.

In the 2 months or so I have owned the car, I have only seen the traction / vsc light flicker 2-3 times.

It's possible I just haven't noticed it before though.

I guess more investigation will be required.

Thanks for the info.

Jason.

18. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    As dorunron said, mismatched tyres/sizes can cause vsc issues, but it sounds like no problems there. Just double check all your pressures then you I'm pretty sure you can rule out tyre problems.

I rarely see the vsc light here, but I do drive it fairly easily. One case where I do sometimes see it is pulling out of a driveway at an angle, when some of the wheels are on the road and the others are on the drive which is a different surface.

19. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I too have a good set of Michelins on our Prius. I see the light if I am braking and go over bumps or pavement changes. At first I was concerned, but after getting familiar with the Prius I ignore it. Sometimes when the light flashes the brakes will pulse also (abs kicking in). Again all of that is normal. Just have to get to used to the quirks of the machine. It really is nothing more than that, a machine. Once you get used to running the machine, it becomes second nature.

Take care and best of luck to you!