1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

C1231 Steering Angle ESC reset (AGAIN!)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Chad Douglas, Dec 9, 2021.

1. Chad Douglas

Chad Douglas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From my searching, many people have had trouble with getting an ESC light after replacing the spiral cable. However, after reading through at least 10 threads about it, they all seem to just die without any reports of success.

So, here we go again.

I replaced my spiral cable. It was a cheapy (hold on before you reply -- read the rest of the story). I replaced it because my cruise control was not working. Turns out it wasn't the spiral -- I still am diagnosing the problem with that, but I am more concerned with getting my Traction Control working again -- so I put the original spiral cable back in.

I tried all the suggestions that I have seen here -- 12v disconnect, paperclip in OBD pins 4 and 13, techstream, and even replacing the angle sensor with a used OEM unit from eBay.

NOTHING works.

NOTE: I did not have this problem until I replaced the spiral cable. Car was absolutely fine before that (except that my cruise wasn't working -- It still doesn't work)

2. Chad Douglas

Chad Douglas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone? Anyone? Beuler? Beuler?

3. allaue

allaue New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello,

I just wanted to post a reply in case anyone else has this issue. I saw my sensor throw a c1231 code and it was stuck at -850.5 degrees. From what I learned from various Russian & Chinese sites and videos, there is a 93c66 chip on the steering angle sensor that stores a fault code when the sensor is turned out of range and it does not clear. There are these chip readers you can use (ch341a) if you can manage to solder it and then connect to computer via USB to rewrite the code to clear it.

I tried this, but did not have the experience or tools to do so. I ended up just buying a used Clockspring / steering angle sensor assembly from eBay and thankfully it worked.

usafxai likes this.
  4. tnt4him

tnt4him Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four

I have the same problem and followed the same steps as you to try and solve it but it still persist! 2015 Prius trim 2 127K. I have the anti slip light on. C1231 code. Did the paper clip thing, Read live SAS status, stuck at 850.5. Replaced with used OEM steering sensor and same results. It could be that I simple got another bad sensor but i thought i would check with you what you finally achieved?

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV