1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

C1253 DTC 136 Hydro-booster pump motor relay

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Lesk_The_Glut, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Lesk_The_Glut

Lesk_The_Glut Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone know exactly which relay this refers to? I found a youtube video suggesting it's the ABS MTR 2, which is the large square blue relay at the upper part of my pictured fuse box. Is that correct?
    Thanks

1504817909201.jpg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Lesk_The_Glut

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oops. My pic was flipped on its side. So the top is now the left.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Lesk_The_Glut

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why don't you pull it and test it? If it is good then check ABS MTR 1.

5. doothemath

doothemath Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Did anyone find a solution to this? I have a problem with this also. I have a 2011 Prius. I have a dongle and techstream. A couple weeks ago I ran over a curb on both sides of the car. A couple days later, I got the abs traction control and brake light lit on my dash. I ordered the techstream stuff and it read back code C1391 and I heard something running every few seconds under the hood. I made an appointment with a technician for the first available (which was like a week out) and put black tape over the lights on the dash and continued to drive it.
    Last night 09/12/2018 it started making a loud beeping noise and the brakes are now really hard to press and they do not stop the car like they used to. The technician could not pinpoint the problem he could only verify the codes. I would love to know how to clear the codes with the tool and how in the hell to turn off the loud beeping noise? Also, neither the dealer or the parts stores carry this relay they say how did anyone repair this error? Any help would be great. I am really dead in the water without this vehicle.

6. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You might check this thread.

abs main fuse | PriusChat

7. doothemath

doothemath Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Awesome thanks
    hchu1!

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's the pump for keeping the pressure up in the brake system. Running every few seconds means the pressure is not holding in the system.

That's to tell you when it has reached the point where the pressure is really not holding in the system, which you have also

noticed yourself, so you know it's not fooling.

A fuse for the pump motor is probably not going to turn out to be the problem in your case, since you know the pump (a) is running, and (b) is having to run often, because the pressure doesn't hold.

The problem is most likely going to be among the valves in your brake actuator, and doesn't really have to be narrowed down further, because in Gen 2 the one actuator assembly is really where all that stuff is including the pump.

One thing you might want to rule out is an external leak (brake fluid actually leaving the system), which would be distinctive because the fluid level would be going down and somewhere there would be a goopy spot on or under the car.

But probably you have an internal leak where a valve isn't sealing completely and the pressurized fluid is returning to the reservoir.

-Chap

#8 ChapmanF, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    DLC82SV and m.wynn like this.
  9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And as the current poster, who just tacked on to a Gen 2 thread, has a Gen 3, he should probably start his own thread in the Gen 3 forums. I believe this area is different between the Gen 2 and Gen 3.

So as well as confusing this thread by now cluttering it with Gen 3 information, which most like will not be applicable to Gen 2, it derails and hijacks the OP's thread.

Finally, the current poster will be better served in the Gen 3 forums as the folk who contribute there are better acquainted with the Gen 3 and can give more detailed and accurate information/advice pertaining to that model.

There is a reason this site is structured the way it is, by model generations.

10. doothemath

doothemath Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Oops I didn’t realize I posted in the wrong area.

Thanks!

DLC82SV likes this.