1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

C1310 and all lights on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ruberoid, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Ruberoid

Ruberoid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I haven't been driving my Prius 2005 (214k) too often lately, this morning on my way to the store, I noticed that all 3 warning lights are on and HV shows only 1-2 bars, not charging or loosing charge abruptly, the battery fan running constantly. I thought it is because of the weather, it was too hot today, so I parked my Prius in the shade and later took it to the store to read the codes (see the pic). 12v battery shows 12.1v.
    I am in school and broke, hopefully I won't have to replace the battery back. The reader shows C1310 and C2318? Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is a very high likelihood that you would have a HV battery failure. You might need to have a better code reader to read all the codes on the Prius.

As the battery ages and you let your car sit, the battery modules will self discharge at different rates and become unbalanced, and often leading to failed cells.

Ruberoid likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The C1310 is set in the brake ECU because it has been notified of some issue by the hybrid-vehicle ECU. The codes in the HV ECU (and possibly in the Battery ECU) are the ones that will really tell you what's going on, but this code scanner does not seem to have read those. Toyota Techstream or some other scan tool that knows how to retrieve HV ECU and battery codes would get you the information you need.

C2318 means the voltage seen by the Transmission Control ECU (grandiose name for a box to move the transmission in and out of park), ideally in the 12 to 15 volt range or so, got seen at 9.3 or less at some point. Techstream would be able to show you a "freeze frame" of exactly what was happening then. That doesn't have to mean a problem with the 12 volt battery, as wiring or connector problems can also cause that, but if your car was sitting a long time, the 12 volt battery might be a likely suspect for that C2318. Worth giving it a good full charge and seeing what happens.

4. Ruberoid

Ruberoid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I replaced 12v battery 1.5 years ago.... I will take a trip to the dealership, will have them check it. Will update you guys. Thank you.