1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

C1345 - Cannot complete Linear Valve Offset Cal

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by Morpheous, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Morpheous

Morpheous Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Hi Forum Goers

I have a 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid 80000kms which unfortunately got totalled a few months back. A friend of mine needed an ABS actuator so I lent him it from this totalled car. Within 1 hour of having it fitted in his car, he experienced C1391 Abnormal Leak Of Accumulator Pressure. It seemed very strange to me so he removed it and gave it back to me.

Fast forward a few months, I have just bought an ex-taxi to use as a run-around. It's ABS actuator was dead so I wanted to refit this unit to try and troubleshoot. Upon install,I got codes C1345 and C1368, which I expected as a result of replacing the ABS unit.

I used Launch X431 scan-tool to reset memory, and then was left with C1345 - Linear Solenoid Valve Offset Learning Undone. I presume this means the Reset Memory Worked.

With a jump pack hooked up to the fully charged battery, I used scan-tool to try and complete LInear Valve Offset. It runs from 120s down to 1s, however the fast flashing lights do not appear. Instead, ABS and TC light go solid and the valve offset is not learned.

@ChapmanF , might you have some thoughts on this one? I seem to have hit a wall. I tried air bleeding via scan-tool as the pedal did feel a little spongy at half travel initially, but I seem to have hit a wall. Otherwise, it seems to drive/brake fine.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My TIS subscription (more info) isn't paid up at the moment, so I don't have an easy way to look in a 2016 Camry repair manual just now. I don't know whether a 2016 Camry is more like a Gen 4 or Gen 3 Prius.

Both of these codes do exist in the Gen 3 repair manual, and they're shown on the same page. C1345 is the normal code the skid ECU will post when it needs to learn its linear solenoid offset. Ordinarily, that's a straightforward process where you go through the learning procedure and then the code goes away.

C1368 is different: its detection condition is "offset learned value out of specification". So if you see that code, it means the system tried to use the learning procedure to find the offset, but the needed value turns out to fall outside of the acceptable range, probably because of wear of some internal component in the actuator.

The implications are pretty straightforward in the manual: try again, and if it still isn't able to learn an acceptable offset value, it's time for a new actuator.

I would still recommend a quick look in the 2016 Camry repair manual to be sure of the details. In the Prius, there were definitely big brake system changes between Gen 3 and Gen 4.

3. Morpheous

Morpheous Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Hi @ChapmanF, sorry for the slow reply!

The 2016 Camry Hybrid ABS System is very similar to Gen 3 (Accumulator and Actuator Separate) and Prius C Aqua, Prius V and Corolla Hybrid ZWE186.

Could a significant air lock within the brake system cause the offset learning to fall outside of spec? What I have worked out is the mechanical side of the actuator between a Prius C are identical (common part #) and that the only difference relates to brake line piping routing direction.

I used a core-exchange Skid Control ECU from another Camry Hybrid and installed the Prius C mechanical components. I've had success with this in the past so thought it should be OK, however I did have to open the brake lines in the mechanical side of the unit to replace the two hard lines with the correct ones. Upon installing, bleeding and running initialisation I ended up with C1345 and C1368, so I started to suspect that possibly I am introducing an air leak when changing the line over.

Is there a significant brake-flush procedure for these cars?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I assume you chose the longer of the two brake bleed utility options, the one that says it's for use when the actuator or accumulator have been replaced, and you followed all the prompted steps? All the air does have to be gone.

The offset learning then ought to complete, if it's going to complete.

The C1368 code means that the ECU managed to learn an offset, and the offset it ended up learning was not within specifications. The troubleshooting in the manual is short and sweet: try again. If it learns a usable offset the next time, you're good, otherwise, you've got a bum actuator.

Dan Kallhoff likes this.