1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

c1391 code with no apparent issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mackenzie Webster, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Mackenzie Webster

Mackenzie Webster New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,

I have been reading a lot of posts about the costs for repairing the "dreaded" c1391 code, but I haven't seen any posts about people getting the code without any apparent braking issues.

I have a 2008 toyota prius. The other day I used the ebrake for the first time in a long time, and then after driving home (~20 min), right before I pulled into my house the brake light, abs, vsc, and (!) lights came on. I did not feel any changes in the car's driving, and I was able to get home fine. After reading those lights indicate an issue with braking I was nervous about driving the car, but I drove it around my street and the brakes seem fine (it can brake hard, there is no change to the necessary braking pressure, there is no drag when I let off the brakes, and there is no gas mileage change). I drove to work fine and on the way home got the code read at a local autozone. c1391. I also tested the 12v battery and everything is fine.

Has anyone else experienced this code without any apparent braking system issues? Are the brakes likely to get worse, or is this some kind of technical issue? Could it have anything to do with using the ebrake (seems like a weird coincidence...).

Any help at all would be appreciated! I don't have a go to mechanic and I am nervous to take it somewhere and be quoted $$$$ for such an old car, particularly when it SEEMS to be working fine. Help!

Thanks

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If warning codes only got logged after the problems were apparent to the driver, they wouldn't be warning codes.

I wouldn't be as worried just yet about possible repair costs; I'd just go systematically through the diagnostic workup for that code in the repair manual (more info) until I had a firmer idea what exactly was being warned about, and then the possible prognosis and possible costs could be reckoned from that.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    its probably something stuck in the mechanical part of the e brake. if you are not qualified, you'll have to ask around for pricing