1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

C1464/C1465 ABS code, ABS, Brake lights on and no speed

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by irobbins26, Jul 23, 2020.

1. irobbins26

irobbins26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ABS light, emergency brake light and stability control light all came on and the speedometer is not working. I replaced the 12 volt battery and nothing changed. I read the ABS codes and it came up with both front speed sensor codes: C1464(left) and C1465(Right). I checked the brake fluid level and it was halfway between low and full. I have not inspected either sensor yet, but the chances of both sensors going bad at the same time is not likely. Any ideas?

2. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have you checked the sensors yet now?

3. irobbins26

irobbins26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Update: Sensors look clean, no visible damage. Fuses all look good. I erased the codes and they instantly came back.

4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What did you read the codes with?

Do you hear the abs system running frequently?

How do the brakes feel if compared to prior use?

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The brake computer is telling you of an issue with the speed sensors. It is also not delivering speed information to the speedometer (which is information it gets from the speed sensors).

The brake computer is inside of a box. It is connected to the speed sensors by wires. When it doesn't get the signals, it can't climb out of its box and poke around and tell you why. It needs you to do that. There could be a variety of reasons besides whether the sensors themselves look clean or undamaged.

There are troubleshooting procedures for those codes in the repair manual (more info). They'll help.

6. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Pop both the front sensors off and wipe them clean with a rag.

Would be good to air compress where it goes into but you can just wipe them and try again.

7. irobbins26

irobbins26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thank you. This was immensely helpful. I am used to dealing with hard copy service manuals and probably wouldn't have found this for a while. Will report back with updates.

8. irobbins26

irobbins26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Feeling pretty stupid at this point. Took the car into the dealer, who replaced both speed sensors. I had rodent damage at the connector under the wheel well covers where the sensor plugs into the car/computer system. If I would have taken the time to trace the failure up one more level, I could have saved myself a ton of time and money. Thanks for everyone's help.

SB6 likes this.
  9. Dadder

Dadder New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have a similar problem in my prius V. Both right sensors are reading 0 mph. Cleaned and inspected and they seem fine. Given what you know now, how would you go about tracing the lines to the engine? Can you get to the part that was damaged from the engine compartment, or do you need to go from under the car. I am having a hard time figuring out how to trace the lines.

10. corystal

corystal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Damn! I had this exact thing happen to me. Too bad you didnt come across my post about it Check PCS system warning | Page 2 | PriusChat
    Now I have the problem again... checked the wire again before I ran the codes, but wire is fine and I've got codes for both sensors (unlike last time when there was just the right) so I'm wondering how both are showing up now.