1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

C2309 DTC Code - Issue before buying? (P lock malfunction when parking) (Check Hybrid System)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Haschwalt, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Haschwalt

Haschwalt Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So I found an excellent condition '12 Prius 4 with 70k miles solar roof asking for $11k. There's one possible issue however and that is a few weeks ago the car gave DTC C2309 . About 2 weeks ago the check engine light came on and gave the p lock malfunction message. I believe this made it impossible to turn the car off which also drained the 12V battery. A quick search on google shows this to be the only thread about this: P Lock Malfunction HELP! | Page 2 | PriusChat and as @Rebound states It's not a common code:
    "Open in B+ Circuit"
    - Transmission control ECU assembly
    - Auxiliary battery
    - Wire harness or connector"

Apparently the ECU was the issue, & the 12V battery was already replaced. IGCT Fuse #2 is dead. All other systems seem to be fine.

I am trying to determine what may have caused this, what possible damage may have occurred, and what issues in the future may develop pertaining to this if any.

Seller says that blowing compressed air on the ECU assembly made the problem go away, but it's not a guarantee it'll fix the problem. Toyota said they can replace the ECU for $1460, but seller informed me that the part is cheap on eBay and his mechanic can install/reset codes for $300.

I am mainly curious to know if 1) there are/is any more possible damage 2) if the car is a good deal at this price 3) if the ECU assembly being replaced will make the car safe/reliable? I am mainly concerned about after purchasing the car, the check engine light coming back on, and more problems happening, the car becoming nonoperational, or not able to be repaired. Should I skip this car, or should I ask for a lower price & if so how much?

The seller has been and is honest and fortcoming about this potential issue, & has regularly serviced the car every 5,000 miles.

Thank you in advance

2. Lovec1990

Lovec1990 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In my opinion if you are willing too buy it try asking seller if car can be taken too official Dealer so they check the car for any damage or worn out parts and they can also check health of battery. If ECU is only issue this car do not accept his idea of buying ECU from Ebay and his mechanic doing it.

Look it seams your seller is honest so be polite try too explain nicely that parts from Ebay are questionable and that you would rather see it done by a Toyota dealer, but how much discount can you ask for it depends was car already cheaper than others of similar year,milage and equipment if so you may not get much of it.

Personaly i would avoid it becouse it has issues and on this complicated car one issue can damage other parts of the car its all connected

Haschwalt likes this.
  3. Haschwalt

Haschwalt Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The parts from eBay are genuine Toyota. The Toyota dealership price gouges like crazy – often by a factor of 5-10x– but the question is if replacing the ECU module is enough. I'm not sure if Toyota is price gouging on replacing this ECU - but they seem to overcharge like crazy for everything.

The car went through a Toyota PPI/multi point inspection (by seller) and the rest of the car is mechanically fine. I don't know much about the ECU and what it exactly does, but yes, I agree there's an element of risk involved with this. The price is I believe offered at about $1500 lower than what it would have gone for if it didn't have this issue.

The problem also is I need to get a car soon, & it's hard to find a Prius 4 with the top trim in good condition, good miles, etc. at a reasonable price. The ones that do exist often tend to go for more than what a '16 gen 4 touring would cost incidentally.

#3 Haschwalt, Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You need to pick a price you are willing to pay for the car.
    Then a price for the things that need or may need repairing or replacing.
    Almost every used car needs or will need something.
    As Lovec1990 said, take it to the dealer and pay for the diagnosis to find the actually problem
    and what the cost of repair is.
    Then work with the seller on a price.
    Seems like a decent deal to me....

Haschwalt likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    plock message may be the most confounding message a prius can display

iirc, one guy even traded in his car, because toyota was unable to repair it

Haschwalt likes this.
  6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not bad, I know one guy in here bought a gen 4 because his turd gen key fob wasn’t working with his turd gen.

Haschwalt likes this.
  7. Haschwalt

Haschwalt Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Out of curiosity why do you dislike the 3rd gen? Do you think the 2016 is far better than the 3rd gens? It seems to be better than the other competitors that have even more problems. It seems the problems of the third gen are largely surmountable except for brake actuator, and AC compressor. EGR assembly, oil burning, and inverter seem to be relatively simple problems to treat or fix.

8. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Like my turd gen very much, gen 4 is engine wise is better obviously, but not in the aesthetic department. I would not recommend the turd gen to friends and family if they ask if it’s wise to buy one. Won’t be buying another Toyota after this one is driven into the ground.

Haschwalt likes this.
  9. Haschwalt

Haschwalt Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But couldn’t it be said that every other manufacturer is significantly less reliable? The hybrid tech is intrinsically more complex than say a corolla or rav4.

10. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Any car can last for a long time on the terms that car maintenance services are performed as scheduled and not driven abusively. I owned 3 beaters before this one, all over 150,000 miles. No catastrophic failures, the worst damage was a warped rotor which I swap out w/pads also. My current prius was owned by a grandma, her daughter couldn't make payments for her so it was repo'd. All the address in the gps history points to old local folks places therefore carmax's explanation checked out. It took me 6 months to find the ideal prius, hopefully the grandma didn't race it, or drive it abusively so the odometer can roll over under my ownership.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    was she from pasadena?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wow! She was!!! Just kidding, the previous (grandma) owner lives in the same town as the current owner.

bisco and RMB like this.
  13. Haschwalt

Haschwalt Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you're right that the modern car is significantly more reliable as far as transmission and engine goes versus 20 years ago +. I do think the Toyotas and Hondas of the 90s were really at the top of their game over American/German counterparts - but now across the board engines/trannies are overall decent... except for turbos. Toyota the only that's been avoiding turbos which are high stress/high pressure which has been used for the sake of higher power at lower cost.

There are some makes though that are just terrible in general - the BMWs for instance.

14. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The less gadgets a car has, the less problems you have, in general.
    When you start adding things like power windows, door locks, seats, cruise, etc., they wear out sooner or later.
    Look at all the sensors an engine has! All these things add to the appeal, safety, and convenience of driving.
    But it all comes at a cost, to the owner.

Haschwalt and dig4dirt like this.