1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured CA HOV Update (re: PHEV/Prime Demand)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by wjtracy, Jul 2, 2017.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: PHEV demand
    I see that California has a new bill proposing to extend HOV green/white stickers to 2025 (from 2019).
    I *assume* that bill will probably pass and will assure decent Prime sales in the future. One aspect to look for is the older PiP treatment, but I assume it is questionable...not sure

"AB 544 | Author: Bloom ... zero-emission vehicles, or transitional zero-emission vehicles to use HOV lanes for four years after vehicle identifiers are issued".

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hold that wagontrain . . . . it aint that simple
    ;)
    CA HOV Stickers may die a painful death (both green & white) because studies consistently show lanes are jammed to the point that they FAIL to maintain speeds of 45 mph per fed requirements for matching funds ... & the HOV lanes have remained that way for a 1/2 decade & more.

Mounting evidence suggests High Occupancy Vehicle lanes are useless

Similarly, studies show - a full THIRTY % are scofflaws ... cheaters ... feeling they'll get away with HOV lane use despite NOT car-pooling and/or despite HOV appropriate people NOT bothering to even apply for appropriate stickers (1/2 of the <8% clean car users).

California may get tougher on carpool cheaters

So . . . typical with bureaucracy ... rather than go after the 30% ... they want to tie punishment to the less than 1/2 of the 8% ... and NOT renew stickers, UNLESS more enforcement $$$ is allocated to going after the 30%.

What a great idea !!! kill stickers, so, rather than have 30% cheaters ... the state can have nearly 38% cheaters. Gotta love big gub'ment. So unless our elected's get their heads out of their thinking sphincters . . . . stickers go away in a little over a year. This is why i run my work travel time during 4AM & 1:15PM. The rest of you? I feel for ya ... but you're on your own, for counting on our elected's to incorporate rational thinking.
    :coffee:

#2 hill, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    austingreen and wjtracy like this.
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hill thank you, yes I saw those articles.
    You are correct, I don't think we can definitely say what will happen.

CA is between a rock and hard place, whether to continue with a major plug-in incentive, or try to solve the traffic problem by mandating HOV-3. In VA we are kicking hybrids out of free HOV, and going to HOT-3. But Cali is trying to single-handedly prove the plug-in concept is successful. So past history suggests CA will error on the side of keeping the plug-in incentives, just my guess

#3 wjtracy, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  4. MarcBenjamin

MarcBenjamin Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Any updates on the greens stickers going beyond 1/1/2019?

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good question...I have not heard anything yet

6. S.Bell

S.Bell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    There is already a HOV-3 here in one part of the Bay Area. I wish I could remember exactly where, but I cover way too much territory and normally don't have 2+ others ride in my car with me.

Don't forget about the Late Night Show that does the Car Sing-a-long episodes. It had one poking fun of how it turned from HOV-2 to HOV-3 to even higher all the sudden.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it both green and white HOV stickers ending 2019 pending extensions, or is it only green stickers?
    PHEV sales will start to suffer soon without extension, I would think.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A