1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cabin Air Filter Question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by darkgiant, Jan 25, 2018.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not willing to say the direction of the filter doesn't matter.
    I mean if it didn't? Why even bother with arrows pointing in any direction?
    Just sell the filter as being being multi-directional and use it as a selling point. If a manufacturer is going to the cost and trouble of showing arrows for either filter orientation or air-flow direction, I'm assuming there is a structural reason within the composite of the filter itself.

This has been interesting because this "simple" action seems to have a lot of confusion surrounding it.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd be inclined to agree; it could well be one direction works better than the other. OTOH, if it didn't matter, I think there'd still be value in the arrows, to help re-orient the filter the same way, after an intermediate removal/replacement, to help you avoid flipping it over.

Rolls Royce for avoiding mis-orientation would be a filter that can only be put in one direction. The engine air filter's an example of this.

#22 Mendel Leisk, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    The Electric Me likes this.
  3. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The same filter may have multiple applications.

4. darkgiant

darkgiant Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just wanted to provide an update on the filter itself (if anyone is wondering if these charcoal+baking soda filters truly work), and to my surprise, it definitely works. I've had few folks say that the car smells a lot more "fresh". For $8 bucks, you can't go wrong, banking on the filter lasting me a full year.

5. whiskers

whiskers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Another update on this. I took out the cabin air filter from my Prius 3 2015 and my Prius C 2016 and ran the fan and put a small piece of paper in there to determine the air flow. The paper bends down showing that the air flow is from top to bottom. So with my after market filter that shows air flow arrow I installed it with the arrow pointing down.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if the air flowed up, all the day bree would keep falling back into the fan blades.