1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cabin Air Inlet & Outlet

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by obscenefrogtour, Oct 28, 2017.

1. obscenefrogtour

obscenefrogtour New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Can someone please precicely point me to the cabin vent inlet & outlets on my gen2 2008 Prius?

My understanding is that the cabin inlet is evenly drawn from the 3x vents in-between the winshield & the hood, is that right?

But where is the outlet? At the back of the car is there some hose?

Are there any guides describing how the Prius venting works with diagrams and/or pictures? Or videos?

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It’s pretty similar system to most modern cars. Actual air inlet is under that plastic panel that sits between the hood and windshield. Air goes in from all the holes on that panel and then there are drain holes there for water to drain away so that rain water won’t go into the cabin air intake. Here are some pictures from that area: Prius heat-efficiency mods

Air outlets are under the sides of rear bumper just as on most modern cars. They do have a flap that act as a one way valve for air. On the first post you can see the air outlets on the pictures where the rear bumper has been removed The "Send Nudes" Prius | PriusChat

Hybrid battery is also air cooled it has its own air intake on the side rear seat back. Air really only goes through it when its fan is running. Its air outlet is right in front of the right side air outlet next to 12V battery http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/prius-12V/ you can also see the inside view of the air outlet.

Maybe somebody can help you a bit more if we would know what you’re planning.

3. obscenefrogtour

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Thanks for the info!

Can you tell me where the other end of the outlet is (on the inside)?

From your post, it looks like this is the air outlet circled in red, exposed with the rear bumper removed.

vent2.jpg

Is that correct?

If so, where exactly do those exterior vents connect to on the interior of the vehicle?

I'm working on installing solar on my prius to power fans while the sun is up to help eliminate moisture build-up on the interior without needing to turn the car on to run the fans (with solar it can run while my car is parked and I'm out & about).

I'm experimenting taking my Prius on an extended road trip, but sleeping in it & drying my clothes in it has caused an insane amount of moisture build-up. This solar fan solution should help my clothes to dry faster, dry the moisture off the windows, & prevent mildew.

Of course, I want a very clear understanding of how the airflow in & out of the car works to leverage the existing design as much as possible.

4. obscenefrogtour

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
  5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes that’s left side air outlet. Inside view of right side air outlet can be seen in the last link of my last post. “ http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/prius-12V/ you can also see the inside view of the air outlet” You can see the inside of the left outlet by just removing the cargo box (you need to remove that just to get the spare tire out) and removing the small box on the left (it’s only hold on by one plastic nut).

But isn’t it just easiest and best to power up the normal cabin fan? The system is already designed with the good airflow so all you need to do is power the fan. This should have everything you need to power up the fan. Prius camping

6. obscenefrogtour

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    That prius camping link is exactly what I want to do for summer nights in the city, but I only understand ~15% of it x_x

7. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It’s just a circuit that you need to build and a way to connect it to a Prius ac blower.

I would incorporate a under voltage protection to that circuit and just connect it directly to fan. It would also be very easy to connect it in a way that it’s on unless the Prius is on. Then just connect the solar panel to 12V battery to keep it charged.