1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cabin air system help please!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by southsound, May 15, 2012.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    NutzAboutBolts has an excellent video regarding removal of parts at the windshield bottom. It's theoretically about spark plug replacement, but definitely a case where the journey outshines the destination.

2. LisaRSmith

LisaRSmith New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Bill,
    My husband installed a screen on the cabin air inlet opening. Now we need to cover the two vents in the rear cargo area. I have been scouring the web for photos for the Gen III of what needs to be removed and the location of the rear vents. Do you have photos?

Thank you,
    Lisa

3. LisaRSmith

LisaRSmith New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Bill,
    My husband installed a screen on the cabin air inlet opening. Now we need to cover the two vents in the rear cargo area. I have been scouring the web for photos for the Gen III of what needs to be removed and the location of the rear vents. Do you have photos?

Thank you,
    Lisa

4. DaveTheSave

DaveTheSave New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III

5. DaveTheSave

DaveTheSave New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Bill,

I have a Third Gen 2011 Prius with a Cabin Filter Area "Mouse" problem. I like your pic of the air intake under the cowl area. it looks like you used HVAC Foil Tape around the perimeter of the 5" x 10" 1/4" Mesh/Screen. But, how did you attach it? Did you use the "30 lbs." Heavy Duty Double Sided Mounting Tape from Scotch or Gorilla? I have the 2' x 5' x 1/4" Galvanized Mesh. Also, where can I find the instructions/directions for removing the "Cowling" to get to that spot? Any and all info would be Greatly Appreciated. Thanks!

6. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's not difficult but it takes some time. Just some basic 3/8"'ratchet sockets with a long extension. Directions are in the spark plug replacement video you'll find at the link below. I've followed this myself for a spark plug change so I know it works.
    Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | PriusChat

7. DaveTheSave

DaveTheSave New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for that, I was actually in the process of viewing that same video (from a google search) and writing my notes (step by step) before I go to the dealership for air bag recall + EGR "sticking" problem, so that I can get anything clarified by the technicians. Like how exactly to position/move the wiper assembly to remove it without destroying the grommet in the center/back.

Are you aware of exactly how "Bill" attached the "1/4" Mesh" to the firewall? Again, I'm thinking heavy duty (30lbs.) double sided mounting tape AND "taping" the perimeter with HVAC Foil Tape to provide more surface area for the mounting tape to adhere to.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again for your reply. Happy Holidays!!!

8. DaveTheSave

DaveTheSave New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Incase you have not seen Bill's pic: Go here: Cabin air system help please! | PriusChat, hit "Ctrl" and "F", type in: 1043, and that will lead you to the pic.

9. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    He mentions something in the video about what you do before removing the wiper arms, but it's very straightforward.

I wouldn't go with tape. I'd use metal mesh and self-tapping screws. Pre-drill holes for them. Maybe 3" apart. I'm not the World's Biggest Expert and maybe there are better ways?

Buy some Clorox wipes from the grocery store and use them to clean, clean, clean the sheet metal you remove. It's your cabin air intake and everybody wants fresh air in the cabin!