1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cabin Pre-Conditioning: Problem with A/C Using EVSE

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Oniki, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi all,

My A/C works fine when driving, but when I try to cool down the car before a drive with the EVSE attached, I get hot instead of cold air.

A/C is set to AUTO, 75F
    Outside is about 90F
    The traction battery is completely charged
    The hot air that comes out of the vent is over 110F, and does not cool off after 5 minutes

I've tried using the key fob Vs starting the car manually with the same effect.

I presume this is operator error, but I'm stumped

2. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have some more information but this question is still open. All tests have been done when the traction battery is fully charged.

I tried to cool the car yesterday at ~ 6pm with ambient ~ 80F. EVSE attached, the AUTO AC expelled warm but not hot air from the vents.
    This morning at 7 am with ambient ~ 70F I tried again and this time cool air came out of the vents.

I'm beginning to wonder if the traction battery temperature is part of the story. I was under the impression that the power for A/C with the EVSE attached comes from the grid but perhaps that is a net effect and the car refuses to run the heat pump if the battery is too hot ?

3. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Remote air conditioning takes power from the traction battery. Once charging is complete, it will not start charging by itself to replenish what used by preconditioning. EDIT: checked and it does resume to replenish!
    Pay attention to the A/C switch, if it is off at end of drive it will stay off on starting. Auto controls fan speed and vents used to the difference between set and ambient temps but not the A/C switch which is a user choice (at least with the PiP but I think also with the Prime).

#3 giora, Jun 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  4. Dale Leonard

Dale Leonard Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    And make sure the whipper blades are turned off. Mine worked fine this morning. I drove mine from Wi to Mesa, Az. The temp gage said 103 degrees this morning. The prime was still plugged in.

5. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks for the tip about the AC switch.

What A/C behavior would you expect in these conditions:
    Battery full
    EVSE (9.6 kW) connected
    Car activated by pushing 'start' button with brake depressed. Car turns 'on' but cannot be put into gear

Now I press A/C, AUTO, and set the temperature to considerably below ambient.
    I expect cold air from the vent -- is this incorrect ?

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I watched the replenish take place last week. I even got print-screens of the graph to document what happened, both before & after. I waited 45 minutes following charge completion, then started up the remote A/C. The purpose was to see how much electricity was consumed. 0.38 kWh was noted for 10 minutes of A/C on max, complete with the data showing the charge-rate.

7. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Was power drawn from the EVSE during the remote A/C operation ?

If the 0.38 kWh battery discharge was the only power source it suggests that ~ 500 watts was all that was required. I suppose that is possible ...

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The ChargePoint app clearly shows a draw taking place from the charger during that time. It's a spike all the way to 3.1 kW, but only stays at that max rate briefly. The drop is to an average of 0.75 kW for roughly 15 minutes beyond the 10 minutes of A/C. Unfortunately, the graph is plotted every 5 minutes. So, precision is a bit difficult to nail down. Fortunately, I have an electrician coming over tomorrow to wire the garage... so, I'll just happen to have my own 240-volt with metering available soon.

Long story short, there is replenish, but the interplay of battery & charger isn't clear.

Oniki likes this.
  9. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've noticed an obvious taper in charge rate as the battery fills up the last one third, judging by the time it takes it fill each third. So it is not surprising that the AC load would draw the battery SoC down from full if the actual electric flow is battery to A/C and EVSE to battery. It would just mean that the A/C load is greater than the allowed charge rate. And if the battery is hot the effect would be pronounced. Of course the more sought result would be EVSE powering the A/C directly, but perhaps that is not possible.

In any case, I'm still back at square #1, trying to get cold air into the cabin!

#9 Oniki, Jun 12, 2017
  10. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm not sure, but this is a different scenario from the one in the OP, correct?

11. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The taper charge is the last 10-20 minutes, during which time the charge is above 95%.

12. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Same scenario as OP

13. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I have checked this with the PiP and:
    I am getting cool air but the charging does not resume.

Yes, you are right. Checked with the PiP and using remote A/C after charging is complete and car stays plugged-in, charging does resume to replenish. Charging indicator came on.

14. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In this mode, my car will only stay on for a minute or two before shutting off (which is a bug, by the way), but I do get cool air during that time.

I thought you were doing pre-conditioning or remote A/C. I haven't tried pre-conditioning, but remote A/C certainly works well on mine.

15. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm polluting my own thread here ...

I wonder if Toyota would consider adding a close_window option to the remote A/C activation from the fob.
    It makes no sense for me to leave the windows closed at the end of my earlier drive since that just leads to heat accumulation the A/C has to remove. So remote A/C use for me means:

1. Dig fob out of my fanny pouch (instead of the infinitely more convenient present case of never handling the thing) and head out to the car.
    2. Start the car and roll up the windows
    3. Shut the car down, wait 3.5 minutes, and then activate the remote A/C outside the car
    4. Return home and think about the car warming up while the battery is replenished.

If I ever get it to working, I may well decide it is not worth the effort ;-)

16. alexcue

alexcue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well that's cause of the model you have or don't have certain things turned on, but I do agree with you, some handling of keys does occur.

In the Advanced the app, can be used to start Remote A/C, and if you program your car, you don't have to raise your windows by starting it.

My routine on hot days has been use the Unlock button from inside my office, just hold the button and all windows go down. (programmed to do that). Now say, I'm stuck in the office for longer than I thought, pop out the "key" and go to the door and turn it, HOLD, all windows go up at same time. Still a pain, but don't have to get in to start it to raise them. Works like a charm.

One caveat, that some have noted, your car doors should be locked for some of this to occur, ie remote start of A/C. My car usually is locked, that is.

#16 alexcue, Jun 12, 2017
    priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Locking the car is a handy way of confirming you have turned it off.

#17 john1701a, Jun 12, 2017
    alexcue likes this.
  18. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    when you insert the "key" into the door and twist counterclockwise it automatically raises the windows and locks the doors

giora likes this.
  19. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well ... I'm still in search of an answer.

I changed my routine a bit:
    EVSE engaged
    Battery charged to full
    I start the car (power button press with foot on the brake.)
    A/C is active as AUTO/AC/LOW_temp

Ambient is around 100F, air coming out of the vent is ~ 105F after 5 minutes

My remaining thought is to see what happens if the battery is not fully charged, but in the meantime I'd appreciate hearing from people who successfully cool down their cars with the EVSE engaged.

20. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Tried it yesterday - using the remote A/C on the key fob, car fully charged. As soon as I pushed the button, the charger came on, the three LEDs lit up and the car started cooling. Can't check the air out the vents because as soon as you open a door it shuts off, but the car was cool inside after 10 minutes.