1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cabin smells like engine cleaner 2010

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by JJNY, Jan 11, 2023.

1. JJNY

JJNY Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2010 that I bought two months ago. When I test drove it, it smelled like engine cleaner. The kind that is oil based, so probably k1 and solvents in it. Anyway, I have used these products and know they take some time to air off the VOC etc... However, two months later after many round trip trips of 5 hours each way, I still have this smell. Any thoughts?

It is also worth mentioning that I had a strong gas smell as well for some point. I underfilled the tank and it seemed to help. Then, I filled it all the way up and the issue doesn't seem so obvious. I did notice the fuel cap appeared wet when this issue was presenting. It has me thinking crud or insects in the evap system? It might have blown out/freed up.

Perhaps they are two unique problems, but maybe they are connected.

Anyone have any ideas? It isn't the battery rubber stink issue. Definitely the engine cleaner smell that it you have ever smelled, you know it is kind of unique.

Thanks!

AltraStache likes this.
  2. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Try replacing your cabin filter. Once the odor gets in the filter, its hard to get rid of. Next I would definitely get your gas cap and tank checked out. Doesn't sound safe to ignore.

AltraStache likes this.
  3. JJNY

JJNY Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I replaced the cabin filter, it didn't improve, but it did get ride of a half pound of acorns... fuel smell isn't there anymore.

AltraStache likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Have you popped the hood? Wondering if the oil filler cap might have been forgotten, for one. Don’t ask me how I know.