1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cabin Vent inlets - is there a 2nd input vent?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Tekdeus, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Tekdeus

Tekdeus Shifted to Green

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello friends, a quick question: I've seen the battery vent blower system set up to vent outside via the rear bumper air outlets, but if the front dash input is set to "recirculate", is there a second input vent to accommodate the airflow the battery vent system needs to blow air out the rear? Or would it force the front vent into fresh air mode during battery venting? Without one of these, the interior would be a sealed vacuum.

2. Augustus88

Augustus88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    From
    what I've seen of the battery exhaust vent, it does not blow directly to the outside. There is a small gap between the battery exhaust vent and the actual outside vent hole with the rubber flaps on it. This means that the hot battery exhaust may not actually make it outside, but may vent into your 12v battery area and the rear cargo area. I have noticed in my car that when I have the cargo cover deployed, that area gets extremely hot.

I believe Toyota designed that gap between the battery exhaust vent and the outside vent specifically for the reason you mentioned, to prevent a pressure differential inside the car caused by the battery exhaust vent.

Basically, on recirculate, battery exhaust remains in the car. On normal outside air intake mode, some is exhausted outside.

#2 Augustus88, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's only one vent, and it works perfectly fine, no matter the front vent setting. there is no such thing as a sealed vacuum in the car. otherwise, we would suffocate.

if your vent grille and fan are clean, and you run the a/c when it's hot, you won't have overheating issues. this has been proven out over 12 years.

coincidentally, the pip has two inlets, and two cooling fans.

4. oil_burner

oil_burner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    does anyone know how to access this rear vent to the outside? I am getting some fumes in the cabin from my exhaust and I think it might be because the rubber flap is not sealing correctly anymore.