1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cable modem lesson's learned

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Feb 27, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Last week, I got a bill that a cable modem service, WOW went from $36 to $56, the promotional had run out. Sitting in the mail was an $20/mo Infinity (Comcast) offer so I called, ordered the service, and paid a year in advance including everything to lock in the lower rate. They scheduled connection the next business day, Monday.

The technician came out an along the way we corrected a number of latent defects. The original Comcast cable from over two years ago was 'wrapped' instead of using the right strain relief so the coax was partially crushed. A new cable was run to the pole and properly connected. So then we tried to get the Netgear, N600 C3700 configured.

Well before the appointment, I got the manual and reset the unit to the factory defaults. I logged in and configured back to my preferences and noticed it was a V01.00.10 firmware that had never been upgraded. So I went to the Netgear forum and learned:
    • Netgear claims the cable company has to push the firmware upgrade.
    • Users report the cable company, WOW, won't push the firmware upgrade. (Strike 1)
    • There are two versions of the User's Manual and the first one claims use a different IP address to login, 192.168.1.1, from the actual 192.168.0.1. (Strike 2)
    • Repair cost $180. (Strike 3)
    Sure enough, the Netgear unit would not sync and so the Tech allowed me to "rent" their cable modem, $11/mo. It synced up and "bye bye" but he recommended Arris.

Costco has the bottom of the line, single Ethernet unit but I need two and WiFi. I found the equivalent Arris at Best Buy and hooked it up.

With admin, I changed the password and saw layer 2, the downlink/uplink band we’re good. I could ping the DNS server and resolve names. My equipment was working. So I called support to register my modem and good to go.

I will drop off their feature laden modem and head home. But I’ll also checkout the NETGEAR just to see if it reaches the DNS server. If it does, we’ll do another service call and maybe return the Best Buy unit.

Bob Wilson
    <the story continues>

#1 bwilson4web, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    pilotgrrl, RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So far as I know, all cable modem upgrades have to come from the cable company. (or you impersonating the cable company, but lets not go there) This is because the modem has to identify you to the cable company correctly for billing purposes. 'The Man' has to get paid.

RCO likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    our cable modem is free with xfinity, so, they keep it up to date. but we are on a $150./mo. plan for cable, phone and internet, which may explain the 'free'.

i have priced out at&t as well as fits, and prices are all similar, after the 'promotion'.

4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    There ain't no such thing as a free lunch -- or cable modem.

RCO and bisco like this.
  5. TinyTim

TinyTim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your only recourse is to rent the cable modem if you have data and voice for the most part. My cable guy told me it's ok, just call Comcast every 3-6 months and have them send out a tech to upgrade the equipment. Get your money's worth on that rental fee. Also check forums to see what the latest and greatest cable modem currently available. Right now it's Docsis 3.0 with 3.1 being slowly introduced in some areas. Again reread my previous sentence about upgrading your cable gear. The Docsis 3.1 stuff will do gigabit internet. Next is the 4k cable box.

6. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you can still use a DOCSIS 3.x compliant cable modem on Comcast, I've got one you can have. No Comcast in my area, so it's sitting around gathering dust.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    After I run the NETGEAR test, we might do a deal. I am not against the bricks and mortar tax but we are on a fixed income.

Bob Wilson

RCO and pilotgrrl like this.
  8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well that was weird:
    • Came home and all WiFi connections working normally.
    • Ethernet port with Apple TV was not.
    Eventually, I connected an ethernet cable to the cable modem and got a pop-up screen insisting I had to authorize access to Xfinity routing. . . . HUH?

Regardless, I followed the instructions and magic, it worked. I plugged in the Apple TV and everything is working fine. Had no break in service of the WiFi.

The message, "Hi from XFINITY! Enter this code to activate your gateway: <code>"

Bob Wilson

#8 bwilson4web, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    RCO likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    after you've spent some time with computers, you'll learn that nothing is weird.

fuzzy1, Mendel Leisk and RCO like this.
  10. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My WOW soared from $46 to $66 just this month (w/ their router). Internet only service. Called yesterday to inquire what my monthly bandwidth has been so I could compare with prospective replacements to WOW, namely AT&T (yeah, I know, ugh). WOW claimed to not have ever stored data on my bandwidth usage. That sounded odd. What internet or cell service doesn't track usage?

They did agree to back it back down to a total of $51/month, but only for a limited time. The rep recommended that I also talk to their customer retention, or "satisfaction" department to get the price even lower, as he was allowed to only do so much in his own department. AT&T is $30 for the first year, but I know that will escalate quickly, and there is a bandwidth limit most likely. AT&T will also give me a $100 gift card, as I am a DirecTV customer. I convinced DirecTV to lower my bill, including the HBO, from $101 to $61 inclusive just last month, and just in time for the internet only WOW portion to jump up in price. Hard to win at these games.

Right now I'm stuck in that proverbial rock and hard place trying to decide to make the deal with AT&T or to stay with WOW if they can do even better on the price.

RCO and bwilson4web like this.
  11. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not always. I'm on Spectrum, and run my own separate modem and router. All they need is the MAC address from the modem, and for it to be a compatible model (so I'm running a Motorola/Arris SB6141 - if they start offering faster service by default I'll probably need to upgrade to an SB6183).

12. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The reason it needs to be a 'compatible model' is that the cable company programs it each time it is turned on with your caps on speed. If you had a modem they could not program, they would not control your usage, so they do not allow modems they can't program.

All modems are DOCSIS compatible, so they would all work (at some speed) if the company did not have (legitimate) needs to control bandwidth and get paid. As the company upgrades to faster DOCSIS protocols, they have desire to force you to get faster too, so that the same infrastructure supports more users. So over time they turn off older protocols that the equipment can do, to better use the cables they have.

13. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No cost, I can't use it on Spectrum. They provide their cable modems at no charge.

14. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Fun fact, Spectrum charges you a wifi fee if you use their modem.

15. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ Saw that just yesterday.

Internet providers are like insurance companies.
    You always get the best deal if you're a new customer.
    Until somebody turns that model on its head and starts rewarding their customers with a 'loyalty discount' you are always better off if you change (or threaten to change) your provider whenever your provider changes their prices.

I am cobbling up a home-brew alarm/camera system (RPI/ESP8266) on my 'country estate' (5 acres of inherited land) and the $15/1GHz wifi hotspot is struggling to keep up. Charter says they can give me [sic] 30.0 Mbps Download; 5 Mbps Upload for $45 plus junk fees, and I'm circling the hook......

I don't need that capacity, but the next step up from a barely-in-range StraightTalk puck that I'm currently using would be about the same price.

Either way....
    "Free" modems are like free oil changes at the dealership.
    Sometimes they're not worth the cost and if you're not careful...."free" can be VERY costly!
    If I bite the hook, I'll do a self-install and buy a modem, flashing it as I am able to.

...or?
    I'll try to make what I have work for $15.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, we've been a comcast customer for over 20 years, and don't get bupkis unless we complain.
    and every year they raise the price, hoping you won't notice.

RCO likes this.
  17. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Even if you have your own router?

18. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not in Texas...where they just took over Time Warner Cable.

19. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Old school cabled Ethernet worked for me. I use my laptop rarely, and my LTE hotspot works fine.

20. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Apparently there are ways to refuse the wifi service, but they're rather difficult to do without refusing their modem.

vvillovv likes this.