1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cable vs Couchtuner - missed expectations

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Jan 22, 2016.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Another 7% increase in the cable bill and I'm starting to look for alternatives. Based on recommendations at work, I tried 'Couchtuner' but dropped it when their content turned out to be just movies. So here is where I'm at:
    • podcasts - love 'em because they let me schedule the playback. Problem is cable has broader content.
    • webcasts - ouch, I have to follow their schedule and bandwidth hog.
    • Couchtuner - my test showed just movies, not TV programs I'm interested in and bandwidth hog.
    So on cable we have Sundance and HBO. Sundance has the 'law and order' series my wife likes. HBO has the Bill Mahr and other content we like. But paying over $100/month is becoming a 'bridge too far.' Worse, they are charging for 'on-demand' playback.

Currently, I'm using T-Mobil, mobile hotspot, which has worked out great when I've had to go to the hospital or away from house. But the 5 GB plan means we revert to 128 kbs when exceeded. Downloading video or streaming just won't work without an internet access bandwidth boost and those aren't cheap either.

Nothing has to happen instantly so I'm curious what other folks are doing. I have to admit broadcast, TV is beginning to look more attractive. But my wife is home bound and I'm not going to put her into solitary confinement.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Bob Wilson

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It can be very difficult to give up many addictions. I'm so glad I cut my cable 30 years and 4 months ago, before getting addicted to a decent TV selection. The local cable co had just imposed an ex-post-facto rate increase, while simultaneously delaying the upgrade of its meager offering (about a half dozen channels for those of us not buying Showtime) another year.

Broadcast TV's digital transition greatly expanded my view-able choices from about 7 to about 45 channels, with vastly better reception than the old analog days. Actual useful content has expanded by a much smaller ratio, less than 2x.

If you cut the cable programming, how much would land-based internet-only service cost? Are any non-cellular wireless systems available, such as what my dad's rural house now uses?

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We pay for Netflix ($10? I don't even know...) streaming and have an Amazon Prime account ($100 a year? I have no idea). Great for movies and TV shows on both of them.

In the house we have a central server. It runs a DLNA server that every TV, PS3, XBOX, Phone, Laptop, etc can connect to and stream whatever they want from the server to the device.

I use Juice to automatically download shows that have RSS streams, for instance it automatically downloads some MSNBC shows every day and puts them on my server.

On the server I also have approximately 30TB (yes Terabytes) of media which includes lots of shows from the 1950's and 1960's that aren't on TV anymore. Every DVD and Bluray that I own generally stays in the clear wrap in the storage room and I download a digital copy for the server. Legal? Well, that's a gray area. But if I pay for the movie I don't feel it is wrong to download it.

At our secondary US house we have lots of satellite setup. We pay for Dish Network on 2 DVRs (4 tuners) ($300 month) and for Shaw Direct (Canadian Satellite, $180 USD / month) on 2 DVRs (4 tuners). This allows us to record or watch 8 shows at one time and then they call all be streamed. So at all the other houses or even on the go like on the phone we can login and stream any DVR show or live tuner stream from any of the 8 tuners.

In addition to that, we generally go to 1-2 cinema movies a month. 2-3 theatre performances a month, and 1-2 concerts/symphonies a month. And whenever a good non-filthy comedian comes to town, we go there.

We could drop all the satellites but honestly there are times you just want to turn on HGTV or whatever and "veg" without thinking about what is actually on. Great background noise, worth every penny.

And of course the internet bills are all ontop of that lol. $400/mo at the main house, $200/mo at the remote house. Cell plans are all unlimited everything from waaaaaaaay back in the day.

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thank YOU!

It looks like I can replace my current $40/mo, 5 GB limited, T-Mobil data-limited service with $55/mo., cable access with unlimited data at 380 mbs. So we can use a combination of broadcast DTV and streaming service to accomplish what we want.

I fully realize that Comcast has provided access to content that we might otherwise not see. But I don't care! I really don't need to pay extra for a 'here is your menu of programming' that has become $107/month.

Now to select a DOCSIS-3 modem.

Bob Wilson

#4 bwilson4web, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    fuzzy1 likes this.
  5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If the CC unlimited really is unlimited, then you've already noodled it out for yourself.
    If I lived where you live, I'd definitely augment with OTA TV.

I live in a suboptimal area for OTA, since I straddle two markets 120 degrees apart, but I have Netflix, Amazon, and no desire whatsoever to follow current broadcast trends.

In the interest of full disclosure, I do get U-Verse at half price and my beloved company is knee-deep in getting us switched over to DTV (now, a part of the family!) for substantially less but that's a CFO thing.
    I would happily subsist on broadband content.

Nowadays unbundled broadband (unlimited, if you can get it) and streamed content seem to be the way to go for cord cutters.

#5 ETC(SS), Jan 22, 2016
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We cut cable maybe 18 months back. The main "TV" we watch is the evening news, via a home made antenna on an upstairs landing, with RG6 cable and a powered splitter to a couple of TV's. We're getting 4 or 5 local channels, beside the news we'll occasionally watch something else, but all and all the pile-on of commercials is getting really hard to stomach.

Our main viewing time is via Netflix, using a wired Apple TV, split between movies, series (lots of police prodedurals) and the occasional documentary. Also YouTube, either directly through the Apple TV or sent over from our phones. I'll also download the occasional newer movie, various obscure series, and we use ShowRSS to keep up to date with current several series. Of course all of this requires a broadband connection, that's are main bill.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am tempted to cut the cable. Used to like CNN and weather channel now all you get is reality TV no news and no weather, what's the point? Cannot believe CNN has not replaced Larry King now that Piers Morgan has left.

8. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will be the LUDDITE of the group and say we sliced the cable in 1994 when we moved out of the city and into the country. I think at the time the cable bill was around $40 per month.

Sling TV -- have any of you looked into it or considered it? I had consideried it. Try doing a google NEWS search for it for actual newspaper or broadcast news articles on it. It seems pretty interesting for those who want only a dabbling of channels at not so much $$$.

IIRC correctly, you can jump into and out of Sling at will to pick up those "must see" broadcasts, but again, I may be a bit off on the details....

At the moment, all we have is a rooftop antenna installed by a professional, which gets all the OTA channels possible without having a "rotator." If we installed the rotator," which moves the antenna around, we could pull-in a few extra channels. At the moment, we get Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS PBS and a few weird channels, which are subsets of the OTA broadcasts -- such as METV; GRIT. All-in-all, we get around 20 channels.

I'm happy enough. We live out in the way rural outskirts of the metro area. We have DSL, but the speeds are pokey. We get 3.37 mbps download speed. I am no expert, but I am told streaming won't really work at those speeds, which is why I had sort of pushed Sling ideas to the side and why the rest of the options are also not really practical.

Out here, Satellite is our only other real options, but I refuse to pay $1,000 plus per year for "moving pictures." At the moment, the fireplace, a good Cognac (or even a middling one) a good book and a loyal dog are all I need to make the evenings complete.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You might be ok with 3.37 mbps. For sure run it with a wired connection, not wifi.

Internet Connection Speed Recommendations

We're with Shaw, spending $78 monthly for around 25 mbps. When I first hooked up an Apple TV and Netflix I just used wifi and it would pause, take a long time loading. Using a network cable (which was right there, remnant from our son's X-Box days) fixed that.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we're at $170. for comcast cable basic preferred, and mediocre internet, and $60. for a landline. then another $85. for 2 cell phones.
    somethings gotta go. i've tried verizon, (no savings and less channels) add ing cable phone package, ($15. savings. other cell service, (no savings).
    maybe we'll drop the land line and one cell phone, not sure yet.
    problem with cable is, we only watch 10 or 12 channels, but have to pay for a hundred.

#10 bisco, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    He should give it a try.

The wireless (non-cellular) internet I had put in at my dad's rural house is just 2 Mbps. Sister has had no problems streaming her Netflix account. And her kids have had no problem with their various streaming stuff. All done over wifi. Not simultaneously, of course.

[PS. The provider recently boosted bandwidth to 4 Mbps. The above experiences were observed well before that notice.]

I cut mine Sept. 1985, when the price was about $7/month. Total channel count was in the single digits.
    Something sounds amiss, unless you are significantly far north of me or obstructed by hills. My DIY installation, without rotator and only a few feet above the gable (single story, lots of trees) gets 45 channels. Farther north, you'd be getting less stuff from Seattle and Cougar Mountain, but more from Bellingham, Victoria, and Vancouver.

12. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    With T-Mobile Binge-On, you get unlimited video with partner services like HBO GO, Netflix, and Sling TV. Sling TV is currently 30% off for T-Mobile customers. Ack, I'm sounding like a T-Mobile employee. The 5gb plan you have doesn't qualify for unlimited video, you'd have to upgrade to a higher cost plan but even if you don't, you get the advantages of 3x more video. Binge-On essentially throttles data so you get a max 480p video. My 2.5 gb plan which also doesn't qualify is enough bandwidth to hotspot YouTube for my 2 daughters on iPads while on 4g connection, not even LTE. YouTube is not a partner service but still gets throttled. If YouTube ever gets added as a partner service, I'm going to upgrade my T-Mobile plan and say bye bye to Comcast Internet.

Oh and I cut the cord 10 years ago right around when Netflix started streaming service. I'm contemplating switch to Sling TV at $14 a month for live TV since Netflix will stop the $8 a month grandfathered cost next month.

#12 mmmodem, Jan 22, 2016
    Stevewoods likes this.
  13. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just looking at Sling TV to refresh my memory. It seems like a heck of a deal.

Issue is, I have no way to play it, so to speak. I have a laptop, which I have tried to use on my Panasonic Plasma via both in-house wifi and direct Ethernet (?) cable from the main desktop to the laptop and then to the Panasonic, but it stalls and buffers via both hardwire or wifi so much it is maddening.

Guess I could try investing in a firestick or a Roku, but then I would still have the issue of the cable running from the main computer in my den, out the door, down the hall and into the living room! :confused: and still no guarantee of any improvement.

Our dlink wifi modem is not too robust unless you are within 20 feet or so of the modem....

Hill obstruction is what the antenna guy said. That, and something about ground reflection? Also, lots of big cedar and fir trees, but he said that really is not much of an issue.

14. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    At the risk of sounding more like a T-Mobile employee, if you're a customer, they give you a free TMobile hotspot wifi router to borrow. It's a $180 802.11ac router which is one of the best you can buy.

If wifi is still your problem, you can try installing power line adapters. http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i:aps,k:powerline ethernet

I have the TP Link power line adapter for my vintage xbox360 that only has wired Ethernet.

15. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Got rid of T-Mobile 13 months ago after being a customer for about 10 years and moved to Verizon. T-Mob coverage is abysmal where my wife and daughter need it the most. My son and I had no issue, but neither of us are tied to our cell phones either. Indeed, I often have no idea where my cell phone is -- and when I carry it, it is seldom turned on. :whistle:

16. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    If your gonna ditch Cable my vote is to use your computer / Internet for your news needs, and stream Netflix to your tv for your movies and shows...

Netflix has gotten a lot better recently and has tons of new mini series and content..

Grab a redbox flick if Netflix doesn't have what you need.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I recall going down to a post office, dutifuly filling out a money order for $5.50, bi-monthly, then into an envelope with a stamp. Back in the early '70's. God it feels like the stone age.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  18. 348

348 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Going on 6 years now with OTA and Apple TV, no regrets

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...I am recently trying Sirius radio for the home, and they have CNN or other channels audio, that might be how I can get the news I like without cable. Audio quality seems lower on the spoken word channels but I am still experimenting with on-line vs. satellite radio reception.

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    OTA CBC radio is dynamite up here. Tax funded, nary a commercial, very good, varied programming.