1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Cadillac ELR

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, May 20, 2016.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: R.I.P. Cadillac ELR: what went wrong with luxury electric coupe?

After a long and tortured development process and a short life, GM has quietly euthanized its Cadillac ELR range-extended electric luxury coupe.

The derivative of the first-generation Chevrolet Volt was intended to sell at a higher price, to help recoup some of the development costs of the Voltec plug-in hybrid technology.

But the small two-door coupe, while striking, launched in 2013 carrying a price of $75,000—and massive sticker shock doomed its chances.

The "$75,000" attracted my attention because I'm buying a BMW i3-REx that originally sold for about $52,000. Used, I'm getting it for $30,000 a year and a half later, an astonishing depreciation. But I don't want to see new BMW i3-REx following the path of the Cadillac ELR. Extreme depreciations follow 'orphan' cars (aka., Fisker.)

Bob Wilson

#1 bwilson4web, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
    telmo744 likes this.
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The ELR was conceived, in part, as competition to the upcoming Model S. GM knew the ELR wouldn't win that when the Tesla officially arrived, and went ahead with a limited production run to recoupe some of the cost. The new CT-6 PHEV will be on closer terms to the Model S.

The high price was because the ELR was loaded up with Caddy goodies, like the magnetic suspension system.

If the i3 REX fails in the US, it will be because of CARB's hobbling of it, or the BEV gets a 200+ mile range. To BMW, it is their carbon fiber for the masses halo car, and a showcase of that technology they will be extending to their entire line up to some degree. Even if the REX disappears, the BEV will still be here.

Ashlem likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it possible the first owner paid 45k for the i3, and then wrote off 10k in tax credits?

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hard to say. There was previous owner and the 'lien' was satisfied per the title that my banker checked this morning. Near as we can tell, this looks to be a 'find.' Yet curiously I think everyone involved will walk away thinking that though they might have gotten a better deal, everyone is satisfied it is 'good enough.' I'll do a full write up the first week of June.

The victims are the ELR buyers who now have an orphan. As least not the same degree as the former EV1 lease holders.

Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.
  5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Gm stated when the ELR went on sale that is was only going to be a limited production run, and being mostly gen1 Volt, GM isn't going to simply abandon the ELR owners on service and maintenance. So I wouldn't call the owners victims.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hear you, we had an oldsmobile.:unsure: