1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cal. City Requires EV Charging Stations For New Homes

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by El Dobro, Oct 3, 2013.

1. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The title is a bit off. They are just requiring the wiring to be in place, which will just mean a cost increase for a bigger circuit breaker and thicker wire going to a garage outlet for new construction. A good idea, but that doesn't mean a non plug in owner is stuck with a EVSE on his wall.

3. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool I guess? How about an American city with a non-uber wealthy population requiring the wiring? The cost is a bigger issue in the poor south than the rich west coast.

4. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What cost? A 50 amp breaker is $10, the outlet $9, and the cable is $1.85 a foot. All retail prices.
    You are looking at $60 added on to the multi-10k price of a new house.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  5. dipper

dipper Senior Member

When I was house hunting, one new home builder had the option to put a 50amp 220v circuit (I assume it is NEMA14-50). The cost for that option was jacked up with a price tag of $550. Not saying that is how much it will cost over all, but with permits and every players wanting their profits. Probably still a few hundred bucks.

6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Sounds high. Perhaps there are other code requirements(like has to be in conduit) that I didn't consider.

Regardless, the cost is tiny compared to what a new house will go for, and it will be cheaper than putting it in afterwards.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  7. dipper

dipper Senior Member

I think it might be the city permit.

8. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Palo Alto is already built out. The only new homes are ones replacing knock downs. Buy an old house on an expensive lot for a million and a half, tear it down, rebuild with a two million dollar new structure. Add $500 to the total cost - so what?

Corwyn, xpcman and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  9. Fauxknight

Fauxknight Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I've been expecting EV compatibility to become more standardized in new homes over the next few years. Not too surprising to see somewhere in CA requiring it now.

10. dipper

dipper Senior Member

I had a Lennar built home in Bay Area. They have this energy saving initiative that they included in their homes with energy efficient windows, Solar panels, and their NEMA14-50 plug already in garage (EV ready). Had to sell it since family needed a larger place.

11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Requiring in code though, just makes wide scale EV adoption a little easier. This article is about one Ca city. There is a thread around here on Ca's upcoming plug in legislation, and a state wide EV ready building code is one of them.