1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Calculated vs Computer 2013 P2

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by CdotK, Aug 12, 2013.

1. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So i just put my second tank of fuel in and i am getting 52.9MPG... i am kind of confused though as the read out in the car when i turn it off after driving to/from work is always like 58mpg. I mean i am not complaining at the 52.9mpg, just thought i was doing a little better then average.

2. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The HSI always reads high, usually 2 to 3 mpg. Use the trip indicator to compare for each fill-up.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you need to average a few tanks for accuracy, it doesn't fill to the same amount each time. but as cb says, computer is optomistic, to say the least.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Check the calibration of your odometer/trip meter against the mile markers or GPS. You'll find the stock tires are a little small so the speedometer reads higher than true and the MPG is also higher than true. After replacing the originals with Sumitomo T4s of the right size, both mph and MPG are dead on.

We have a 2003 Prius and I'm using over-sized, front tires, a permanent 'over drive' setting. The indicated mph and MPG are 6% low. I don't care because I have GPS backup and the real payoff is at the pump.

Bob Wilson