1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Calculating EV Range

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by PiPLosAngeles, Nov 27, 2012.

1. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    PiPLosAngeles, you mentioned in one of your posts "ICE-assisted starts from traffic lights." If that is the case, then I don't think you can call it pure EV. If you try it again, how about going slow enough on the take-offs from signals so as not to engage the ICE? Some others have posted EV only miles in the low twenties. My personal best is 17, with the norm being 14 to 15, and a couple of times I've hit 16. If the ICE kicks on at any time, I consider that the end with regard to actual EV only miles.

2. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, traffic lights, another variable (time at light, time coasting to light, etc, etc)

3. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed

4. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    On my trip to work my EV range is 11.9 miles. (in the summertime) at 35 mph with four traffic lights 2.7 miles one way. Jurassic test was 1438 kg curb weight. 57 kmh (35.4 MPH) 2.7 KWH battery point A to point B 4.3 km (2.6 miles) Range 17 KM (10.56 miles)

5. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    If you read closely you'll see that was for the remainder of the 21.3-mile commute AFTER the EV ran out at 20 miles. In EV mode the ICE doesn't run until you exceed 62 mph or so, even from traffic lights.

I apologize if the way I worded it made it confusing. When I wrote: From there the rest was downhill coasting and a couple of ICE-assisted starts from traffic lights, the "from there" meant from where I ran out of EV. Using Google Maps it appears that the exact mileage to that point was 17.9, so I apologize for stating it was 20.

6. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Every millimeter counts for EV range :rolleyes:

lensovet likes this.
  7. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    OK, having read it again I understand. What some people do is reset the trip odometer and see how it compares to the estimated EV range. I don't do that, but rather make note of the reading, including tenths, on my "trip a" odometer. Of course, my actual range includes some regen from braking and slight changes in elevation, coasting to red lights, etc.

8. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm pretty sure the issue here is that you are using the average "traveling" speed as opposed to the actual average.
    What happens when you put in the actual average for the whole EV portion of the trip?

9. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I don't know the actual average for the EV portion of the trip because the trip meter reads for the whole trip. The last mile is severe traffic on surface streets with top speeds around 10 mph. I wish I knew how to take snapshots of the trip meter at a certain point without trying to use a camera while driving.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    for the purposes of this discussion, jurassic park is probably fine for ev only trips.

11. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    The whole reason for this discussion is the mismatch between Jurassic Test and real-world results.

12. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Siri? Lol

13. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I keep an eye on the trip meter and the EV estimated range, especially when the latter is running low. That way I know how far I've gone on EV only for that particular trip.

14. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    That's what I used to think. Today I learned the ICE can still turn on in EV mode.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the sticky, len put in all the reasons why ice can start in ev mode.

lensovet likes this.
  16. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Right, but then the EV light goes out to indicate you are in HV mode. Like I said in an earlier post, if that happens the test of EV only range compared to the EV range estimate is over. For me, it's only a little game to see how much surface street driving I get out of a charge. If I'm heading for the freeway, I switch over to HV ahead of time. When I'm returning home after a freeway drive, I switch to EV for the last ten miles or so, and stay under 62 mph the rest of the way. For some reason, when I do that, the next day the EV estimated range will be up after charging. Like I said, for me it's just a game, although I love getting the fantastic overall mileage this car gets.:)

17. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    No, not quite. The EV car icon will turn into an outline, yes, but the green EV mode light right next to the speedo will NOT go out if the engine starts. This is trivial to check – while in D and with your foot on the brake, floor the gas pedal. ICE will kick on but that EV mode light will stay on.

18. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    The part I don't understand about the trip was that the ICE was certainly not on for a couple of miles. I'd bet my PiP on that. It wasn't even on for a couple of minutes because I watch that display like a maniac. The ONLY clues I ever had was that one single bar on the 1-minute consumption graph was a hair shorter than all the others, and even then it was only down to 80 or 90 mpg, and that the trip MPG was 400 instead of 999.

19. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That's not entirely correct. If you get into the PWR range of the HSI in EV mode, the ICE will run.

lensovet likes this.
  20. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, you can see 100+ mpg even with the ICE on in EV mode. The only reliable way to see whether ICE is on is to look at the EV car icon in the middle of the "power bar" on the HSI. If you have a car with an outline, ICE is on. If you have a green-filled car with the letters EV inside it, then ICE is off.