1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

calculating gas savings

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by finman, Nov 5, 2004.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    thats the beauty of the forum setting... every member has an equal voice.

dont have to worry about interupting anyone or being drowned out by anyone.

fresh views will always give someone new insight.

2. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Right! I have filled up 3 times since I got my car. If I were driving my Odyssey, it would have cost $68 more for the same number of miles. :) Plus, I've burned less than 30 gallons instead of over 60 gallons. At what, 10% the emissions of a 'regular car'? <5% of what I WOULD have produced. At least my little bubble of air is a bit cleaner.

AND, I didn't buy the Prius specifically to save money compared to my previous vehicle. It was about time for a new vehicle anyway (per my habits). If I bought a new base model Odyssey (ie 'direct replacement'), it would have cost $25,800 for roughly equivilent AM Prius features but without SKS. I chose that for comparison since it was the closest match in features - side airbags, (overpriced $300 ?) fog lights, installation not included and traction control with Vehicle Stability Assist which I assume is equivilent to the Prius's VSC.

Now I grant you, given what I paid in '95 for my old Odyssey, this is a heck of a deal. The extra air bags and VSA, more powerful engine and slightly better MPG, bigger and even more flexible interior for 10 -15% more in actual, not inflation adjusted $$, 9 years later. I don't know how they do it.

3. disneydad

disneydad Junior Member

Hi all, i took it a different route, i used my existing auto history and calculated my cost difference for the new car. i drive about 2.5k / month in my 91 olds van w/234k, all expenses vs. new prius all expenses w/loan.

Using YTD records, my new prius will cost me 100$ more / month

keep old van running $300/ month
    new prius $400/month
    look on my faces as a soon to be new prius owner PRICELESS :mrgreen: