1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

calculation details of Volt's 230mpg city estimate

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by john1701a, Aug 18, 2009.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am NOT saying that H2 will always be produced with natural gas. I am saying that companies like GM are promoting it because at present it would create a market for natural gas.

Furthermore, fuel cells are so expensive, even after a decade of intensive research, that nobody could afford one. And please do not accuse me of promoting gasoline. Battery electric cars are a much better fit for sustainably-produced electricity than are fuel cell cars.

The technology for fast charging IS here now. Fast-charging stations exist! Tesla has installed fast-charging stations in its region, and Nissan is installing fast-charging stations in its test markets for the Leaf. We do not yet have extensive infrastructure in place. In five to ten years we could have fast-charging stations on all our highways if we chose to. Meanwhile, fuel-cell cars will still cost between one million and ten million dollars each!

2. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Tell me why you think GM is any more connected to fossil fuel companies than say toyota, ford or nissan? Not urban legend crap, real facts.

1 person likes this.
  3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Overlapping boards of directors and reciprocal share ownership. All the Big Three. None of the Japanese.

1 person likes this.
  4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Malorn seems to have disappeared from this thread. Who wudda thunk ?

5. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is that a loss? NOT

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    One day left, then the "stop gapper" will be gone too. Think we can finally get back to business then?

Geez! After all this time, GM still hasn't actually shared any efficiency data. Yet, they claim unprecedented transparency. Heck, even the Volt test-drives people have been invited to don't allow for highway driving. It's low-speed stuff without the charge-level dropping enough to start up the engine.

I can't wait until Toyota shares some real-world data with us. That's when things get interesting... an affordable plug-in which the intention of high-volume production.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    GM is in the business of 'managing' information. As they have told us umpteen times, "it is about perception."

Unless you drive a Prius. Then you know what your mpg is, and you are corrupted.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The contract worked. :eyebrows:

Tom

1 person likes this.
  9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I like to read more about that. Any good links?

10. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    so the math is to be ignored? Why again waste energy to create energy, store energy, then put it to use? short answer is this: show me where hydrogen is a better deal than simply storing electricity in a battery. I mean...h2 is an energy storage medium that has many steps and parts...ALL i've read and I'm sure not saying I'm an expert...ALL i've read says h2 is a stupid way to utilize our electricity for cars. what's it take to compress that h2 in a tank? what's it take to get h2 OUT of substances (such as water or natural gas)? it all adds up to more than if a battery is used to store electricity. Simple laws of physics and all that.

that's all. use less, pollute less. so using more energy to make energy is good? not in my world.

Curt

PS I'd welcome more info on the efficiency of h2. i will continue to look myself...

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, best post of the month! rofl

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Iceland is unique, due to it's geothermal energy mix. Do not extrapolate what they do to anywhere else.

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    One week shy of an entire year now.

The document has underwent quite a few updates since then, new graphs and lots more detail to work with.

It's interesting to see how real-world daily-driving data tells such a different story than the generic napkin estimates we've been shown so far.

14. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice. So a Prius uses 383 gallons. A series hybrid would have used 172 gallons.

I see in the standardized 15K miles, you could have used a BEV like Leaf, 350 days. Only on 15 or so days you'd have done more than 85 miles. This is why I think it makes perfect sense for a multi-car family to replace one of the ICE cars with a BEV.

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Interesting... For you, PHV Prius would use only 84 gallons of gas more per year than the Volt.

16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What I'm really curious about is any advantage that heat-pump could serve in the winter.

Being able to pull out of the garage with an electrically pre-warmed car will be great for personal comfort. But what kind of engine/emission benefit could there be from that?

And of course, how much further could I drive with the engine off but heater still running even after the EV sub-packs are drained?

17. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Burning fossil fuels for heat is very efficient. Unless you get electricity from renewables, I doubt you will save much emission.

18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    PHV Prius has already been certified with Enhanced AT-PZEV. I think Stage1 warm up period can be minimized, if not eliminated.

Can you take a picture of the PHV Prius catalyst converter? I want to compare it to a standard Prius' to see if there is extra heat shield.

PHV Prius should be able to supply cabin heat without taking away heat from the coolant since the heat will be supplied by the heat-pump. You should be able to drive further with the gas engine off for sure.

The Volt is able to get 39.9 EV miles in 40 deg F outside temp. The entire trip was 44 miles and it got impressive 338 MPG! There is no indication if the heater was turned on or not.

Further analysis shows that CS mode gave only 31.5 MPG (4.1 miles / 0.13 gallon) and the Lifetime average is 60.5 MPG!

[​IMG]

Source

Attached Files:

19. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Another year later, 365 days more driving data...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the red & blue used to highlight the warm & cold seasons and the shading to point out 35 & 25 mile thresholds.

How Volt actually does once that real-world data for winter becomes common should be interesting, but it's already clear that variation from even warm season driving is such a wide range that the "230 MPG" claim is extremely misleading.

We've always none that Toyota's effort to strike a balance would result in a "best of both worlds" situation for the plug-in model. It won't be long before we can clearly show that too. The daily driving data I'm collecting will serve as a nice basic of comparison for that.

1 person likes this.
  20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nice data and graph. Thanks for collecting and reporting.