1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

calculation details of Volt's 230mpg city estimate

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by john1701a, Aug 18, 2009.

1. FxsX24

FxsX24 V8 Powered Chevy S10

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

just remember the car is at 65% in terms of programing, the whole SOC system is "unstable" right now and not tuned, kinda like driving around with no oxygen sensors and a clogged air filter

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Sure, whatever. Wake me up when the 'programming' improves the car's CS fuel economy to 50+ mpg.

btw, take this for what you will,
    said the chief of Volt powertrain dev this week. I read it as just another step in GM's long road of deflating expectations after all the hype. I'm just waiting for the entertainment when GM goes about explaining how 40 EV miles is 25 EV miles when driven by ordinary people on their daily routes.

How about a Hype Deflator Counter ?
    Initial cost hype: $25k
    Initial CS mpg hype: 50 mpg
    Initial EV range hype: 40 EV miles

I think the car will end up as 25 EV, 35 - 40 CS mpg, $45 - 50k. I'm happy to be wrong. Please don't spin the cost because of tax credits. First off, the credits will not be around for long, and second, AMT will take care to wipe them out for many.

3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Good point FX.
    However, I am skeptical of GM's ability to deliver. Very hopeful, but skeptical.
    I will be one of the first in line to test drive one of their Volt's, but they will have to show me the goods before I believe they can actually deliver.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    32 MPG is very low when Cruze is expected to get highway 40 MPG.

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    usbseawolf,
    I've been meaning to clarify the 32 mpg. The author wrote something along the lines of distance/gallons was 38 mpg. I corrected for 40 EV miles, but after I posted I realized that the battery may not have been totally charged, and certainly did not have to last 40 miles. So less than 38, and perhaps more than 32 mpg is a more accurate statement.

6. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Link please? I did a search with Google and turned up no articles mentioning anything NEW on Volt MPG other then one that had 200mpg on the display (meaning nothing with no context).

Today Show Presents First Review of Chevy Volt in Charge Sustaining Mode - All Cars Electric

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hampdenwireless,
    I think the review I read was from Edmunds, but I cannot find it. However on the Edmunds site I found this blog entry from the Edmunds staff, that appears to reference the same data I originally quoted. The relevant part is
    I calculated 32 mpg as (230-40)/6

8. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

This is false. You're repeating it only to try to keep your visions of the 90's intact. In fact there are only two full sized vehicles in the top 10 and both are dropping like rocks in the rankings. The F150 and the Silverado are the only full sized holdovers from the 90s.

The growth is in midsized autos, compact cars, hybrids and small crossovers. Those are the facts any other statement is pure dreamspeak. C'mon it's OK to join the 21st Century.

9. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

In regards to comparing the Metro's and the diesel Chevette there are at least three points that you ignore why no person in their sound mind would buy either of those pigs today.

1. Neither had any safety features other than two airbags and seatbelts. No buyer would give them a second look.
    2. The Metro couldn't beat a donkey cart in a race much less the Prius.
    3. The diesel Chevette is unsellable in all 50 states.
    WAKE UP!!!! We're 10 yrs past the 90s.

10. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In fairness the Volt will have a liquid fuel economy rating somewhere between infinity and 35-40 mpg. We just don't know yet.

When the vehicle is in Charge Sustaining mode after battery depletion we just don't know how much and how often that engine will run to charge the battery. It allegedly will have an 8 gallon tank.

The 1.4L engine I believe will be tuned to the Atkinson cycle also ( Miller cycle if it's a turbo engine ). The vehicle is the size of a Corolla or Scion tC, but it has a lot more weight due to the battery. Since the ICE won't be driving the wheels it can run efficiently but I just don't have any data to guage how long it will go before the 8 gal tank is drained.

If a driver doesn't go farther than 40 mi per day then the vehicle could go almost indefinitely on electricity.
    If a driver decides to drive to California from NYC and back without recharging then it's 6000 mi / x gallons

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    6 months later, I've collected enough real-world data to write the next chapter.

Rather than using generic estimates, there's daily driving detail available. See:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The information in this new document tells an interesting story.

Of course, we all had a feeling that the "230" claims were just ideal condition claims anyway. Now, you can see that along with info stating why.

Let me know what you think. Data collection continues for another chapter.

12. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Your numbers do what the EPA did - assume the price of the charge is FREE. Right now, I pay as much for 16 kilowatt-hours as I do for a gallon of gas - how hard is it to factor that in?

The Volt's battery will take 8.8kWh per charge. Assuming the charger is 90% efficient, a full charge costs about as much as 0.6 gallons of gas. Assuming you drive it gently enough to get a full 40 miles out of that charge, then you're getting 65MPG. You can massage those numbers a bit if you want, but you can not get above 100MPG without a lot of fudge. Then the less-than-50mpg gas engine kicks in, and you don't have the same power.

Electrics like the Volt or Leaf have a place, and that place is low-distance, low-/moderate-speed - if that's the kind of driving you do a lot of, then you can do 27% better than the Prius. (probably quite a bit more in non-tropical climates where the Prius needs longer distances to warm up and reach max efficiency)

13. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    How much do you pay for electricity?!? the nation average for a gallon of gas is $2.35. that would be .16 per kwh. That's more expensive than san francisco and new york city! if you are paying that much for electricity it would bode well for you to invest in photovoltaic panels or wind turbines. Your electric bill for your one house is that of both of my properties.

Battery chemistry is only going to improve so at this stage it might not be the clear financial winner (neither is the prius over an ICE). the data this guy used is on a plug in prius which HAS to turn the ICE on over a certain MPH. That is nothing like a Volt or a Leaf.

Leaf 100 miles 24kwh battery capacity. so that would cost 24x.16=3.84

Volt 100 miles 16kwh (40 mile EV) (40x.16)+(1.5x2.35)=6.09
    (assuming the volt gets 40mpg)

Prius 100miles 2x2.35=4.70

it's clear that the volt is the costlier to drive over longer distances and the Leaf the cheapest.

14. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't know about Tom but we are currently paying $0.147267/kWh. I last filled up the car at $2.679 so 8.8kWh charged at 90% would currently cost 53.75% of a gallon.

Most Mainers live in the south of the state and it's bad for solar. Northern Maine is just average for solar.

15. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I also did a spreadsheet calculations and for the electricity cost I was a bit less generous and assumed the stated 8 hours * I was a bit less generous than you. But following your energy*ppu/efficiency calculation gives me an estimated charge cost of 8.8*$0.147267/0.9 = $1.4399. Last fill-up was at $2.679 so I get 53.7% of a gallon.

Anyway, I estimated our driving patterns and guessed at the amount of charging we would be able to do at 110V when at friends and family (and including that as a cost, what kind of person do you think I am? ;) ) then assuming:
    - A Volt would given 38mpg in HEV mode
    - A Prius would give 50mpg
    - Total miles per year 17,703.2

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7 Column 8 Column 9 Column 10 Column 11 Column 12 Column 13
    0 $/gal $/kWh Car 40AER 36AER 32AER
    1 2.679 ~.147 Volt 62.57 +$190.50 55.40 +$92.41 49.67 -$6.35
    2 4.000 ~.157 Volt 77.44 +$501.83 66.82 +$356.51 58.73 +$210.48
    3 2.679 ~.147 Better 13 [email protected] +$212.54 13 [email protected] +$124.42 12 [email protected] +$36.77
    4 4.000 ~.157 Better 16 [email protected] +$514.60 13 [email protected] +$382.68 13 [email protected] +$251.52

Better=Drive better of Prius or Volt
    [##,###.#@]##.## = [Number of (PH)EV miles at] equivalent mileage by gasoline cost.
    +/-$ = Annual + saving - loss in dollars compared to a Prius.

And just for fun, here's the Leaf, assuming 16kWh of energy needed for the "full" charge. (Only "Better car" comparison since we'd have to have two)

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7 Column 8 Column 9 Column 10 Column 11 Column 12 Column 13
    0 $/gal $/kWh Car 100AER 90AER 80AER
    1 2.679 ~.147 Better 13 [email protected] +$370.39 13 [email protected] +$331.06 13 [email protected] +281.91
    2 4.000 ~.157 Better 13 [email protected] +$703.51 13 [email protected] +$661.51 13 [email protected] +$609.02

As you can see, for us the Leaf could win just on fuel costs if gas prices were high. That's because we have many 40-50 mile round trips that would allow us to make good use of the capacity.

16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Back when I still had my Classic Prius, I ran lifetime cost estimates... and got quite a bit of grief when I suggested gas could cost over $2 per gallon by 2010. So, I basically didn't bother with that aspect this time.

The focus was on the technology differences anyway... which had been glossed over so many times I was frustrated enough to start collecting my own detail. Those "superiority" claims were without merit, but there wasn't anything to illustrate that.

If nothing else, at least it points out the factors involved. Heck, there's still some points I didn't even address, yet... like driving at +70 MPH during with the A/C blasting. It's unrealistic to expect the Summer graph to deliver 40 miles-per-charge under those conditions.

17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Keep in mind, history has taught us that it can repeat if mistakes of the past are not understood.

In advance, it was easy to see Two-Mode would be very expensive. It was also easy to see the added complexity would make integration into other vehicles quite a challenge. And of course, the MPG claims always seemed questionable. Sure enough, after rollout began our fears were confirmed.

Volt has the same set of problems to deal with. Expense, Integration, and MPG have all raised concerns long before rollout. Yet, supporters just shrug them off and refer back to the earliest days of Prius, disregarding the reality that the market has changed dramatically since then... in part due to failed hybrid attempts like Two-Mode.

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I still say that any attempt to give a combined MPG number for a PHEV is dishonest, and when that number pretends that electricity is free, it's criminally dishonest. (No surprise that GM does just that!)

GM needs to tell us (or the EPA needs to require them to run the tests and publish the numbers) how many miles per gallon it goes when the gasoline engine is running, and how many Wh it uses per mile (or how many miles per kWh) when in electric mode. Then they also need to tell us how much electricity the heater and air conditioner draw at full blast. We can then run numbers for particular distance commutes, and factor in small, medium, and large heater and A/C demands.

Why won't they give us clear numbers? Because they are trying to scam us, that's why.

19. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    To give GM a fair shake, there really isn't a set way to measure this BY REGULATIONS. Heck, the EPA gave the Roadster a mpg number!
    The EPA requires a MPG reading and has been slow to adopt a better measure.
    Right now, I think the quickest way to implement this would by a set of mpg estimates.
    One for if you drive 20 miles, then 40 then 60 then 100 or something of that sort.
    The general populace also has to be able to take at least a little effort in understanding these things.
    I am still amazed by how many people assume they will always get the exact mpg number in any type of conditions or driving behavior.

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    They still hide way too much though, especially when claiming unprecedented transparency.

We've been absolutely begging to know CS-mode efficiency. It's a simple matter of measuring the consumption of gas when the battery-pack is depleted. Yet, all we get is a brief observation from a test-drive. That's it!

Expecting electricity consumption rates during battery propulsion while the A/C or Heater is also drawing from the pack is unrealistic. That simply isn't going to be disclosed directly. The best we can do is build off of real-world observations from others.

Daily driving detail is something I could easily provide. So, I have. And it has turned out to be quite revealing... helping to confirm what we had always suspected.