1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

California Air Regulators approve Cap and Trade by 9 to 1 vote

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Rybold, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think it's horrible that we let timber companies get away with cutting natural forests!!! All timber should be from planted "farm raised" fields, and not wild forests! (I believe they call this "managed forests." Am I correct?)

I'm not going to post the whole article. Go here and read it:
    California air regulators approve carbon-trading plan - latimes.com

2. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Interesting. It could easily result in driving out more industry, raising the cost of everything, and clearcutting massive swaths of land to meet the requirements of getting tax credits, but actually have no improvement in the overall world situation.

It reminds me of closing a coal power plant, selling the plant, and moving it to China to burn even dirtier coal. Behind the local celebration of the improvement, the global situation is no better.

I'm use to businesses taking advantage of every possible interpretation and loophole to make money, whether it helps the environment or not. CA was doing it right when they made utility requirements for 20% renewable production and ramps on this in the future. This was easily implemented, enforced, and ensured steps in the right direction. This new cap & ??? could be a disaster just like CA's "deregulation" of the utilities.

I sure hope I'm wrong.