1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured California APPROVES Aftermarket Catalytic Converters!

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by fullylaced1, May 3, 2021.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That would work only if you don't plan to keep it in state beyond its next smog test due date. And intend to not sell it in the state.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A little confused, the 'aftermarket cat' won't reduce the HC and NOx after installation?

Bob Wilson

3. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  4. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    the smog tests are checking for emissions, right ?

keep in mind I'm a person that looks for the YES's, the possibilities, instead of seeing a gate at a forest circus road and saying "nope can't enjoy that public land, it's got a gate" ... I look up the codes to find out WHY it's gated, and who has the keys to the gate. I know it's foreign to do this, and a lot of people just give up when govt gets in their way, bogs down the fun, and makes things cost more... but I like to go through those gates

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    All gasoline cars use three way cats. I think motorcycles even have them. The two way ones were on diesels long before they needed to meet gas emission standards.

The California ones cost more because of the additional certifications from CARB. They also likely have a mark up for the market.
    It should work to get the the required emission levels. You wouldn't even need to do the straight pipe bit. There are very few cars out there today that have an actual difference between the CARB and Fed version. The Prius is not one of them. Both versions have the same EPA engine code, meaning the engine and emission systems are the same. The actual test, whether a tube up the tail pipe or just plugging into the OBD II port, won't see the difference.

The only way it wouldn't work is if the CARB certified cat has an easy to spot mark stated it is so, or if the testing station needs such paper work from the repair shop. In the latter case, that shouldn't be an issue if the owner replaces the cat before the smog test.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are we suddenly suffering mass amnesia about California's strict requirement for approved equipment? Driving out of state to get a cheap or 'affordable' cat not on CA's approval list, won't help pass a proper CA smog test. You'd be relying on getting a 'less than diligent' test site that doesn't notice that it has a non-approved device. While a few people know where these shady places are, they are not available to everyone.

7. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The cal emissions tests aren't really tougher than texas emissions tests on gasoline cars. Cal regulations require more expensive equipment though. Often more expensive does not mean lower emissions. California is the leader in unhealthy air despite requiring more expensive equipment in many cases. There are unique weather conditions in southern california and lots of older cars and trucks that are responsible for high vehicle emissions. I would think a prius even with a cheap cat would pass with flying colors. I did have a friend have a cat stolen from her f150. It took ford 5 weeks to get a replacement oem cat in to make it drivable, but insurance company wanted the oem part. I would think that would be the case for newer prii too.

douglasjre likes this.
  8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Shows you how long it's been since I needed a cat. So far, what I've found is that an aftermarket Fed cats are warrantied for 5 years/25,000 miles on the internals, while a Cal registered cat has a 5 year/50,000 mile warranty on the internals. That could be the killer.

I went to Rock Auto's site and did some price comparisons, and it looks like CARB cats were nearly double in price to the EPA ones. I couldn't find CARB listings for the PRII I checked.

privilege likes this.
  9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The new car emission system warranty length is different between federal and CARB, but the engine code for the Prius is the same between federal and CARB states(unless Alabama is CARB) on Fueleconomy.gov. That means the factory catalytic converter should be the same no matter which state it is shipped too.

The costs of a longer warranty will be part of the reason for the higher price for the replacement Ca cat, but there could be no actual difference between the two.

Hypothetical situation. A California Prius has the engine light come on. Pulling the OBD codes and deciphering them is pretty easy these days for an owner. That points to the cat. The car is taken out of state, and gets a federal cat. When the car goes into for smog testing, what is going to alert the inspector to the cat not being a California one?

privilege likes this.
  10. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Last couple of smog checks the guy just plugs the OBDII connector and that's all I see him do. Would the code still be in the history? Then he could take a look.

moto g(7) power ?

11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The code would eventually get erased from the history. The trip back from out of state would likely be long enough to do so.

jzchen likes this.
  12. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    thankfully I have no experience with that stuff, andI didn't know there were magic stamps that were required.

I just assumed the point of a smog test was to certify emissions levels.

I guess if you have to certify the emissions levels, but it's less important than the magic stamps on the hardware.... the people should probably fix that part of the law.

13. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ya, that's what I was wondering.

14. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The test usually starts/used to start with a visual inspection. If anything out of the ordinary one could be failed before the emissions portion.

moto g(7) power ?

15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Guessing a newish looking cat would be enough?

16. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Depends on the tech and I guess their mood. If he (never saw a she) sees something that looks like it's been replaced he opens a giant book looks at what it is supposed to look like. If aftermarket there needs to be a CARB EO# where he can see it. I guess he can enter it into the computer and determine if it's a valid mod.

I go to RedBox Toyota in Alhambra because it's the only honest one around that I know of. Before that I went to other places shopping around and my K&N FIPK (50 State Legal) had a hydro shield on top of the filter. EO label right next to it. Boy it looked like they were debating to screw me over over it. I guess technically the hydroshield was not included with the intake. Most places you call and ask how much is a smog check. First question most places ask is what kind of car is it. (When it's my wife's Panamera I guess I would get the Porsche price). Redbox asks what year it is because Test Only they charge $10 more. They can determine Test Only or not based solely on the model year/when first put in use.

moto g(7) power ?

Trollbait likes this.
  17. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

so it's not about emissions, it's about compliance.

yuck

18. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    guess it's time to start a "rent my catalytic converter" group...

slap it on for inspection for $30+shipping , them slap in your aftermarket when you get the magic papers stamped.

douglasjre and jzchen like this.
  19. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I cannot find a Birmingham in California, which would explain your ignorance on this topic. You will not find a vendor who will ship a non compliant cat to California. The law is more strict for them than consumers, the most you can lose is a car. (If you want a cat business, buy CA cars in Reno and Vegas that are legal in NV)

(If you are in CA, give a zip code, I am not finding it. And wow, you are incredibly unaware of laws in your state. CARB is all powerful)

Tutorial on CARB How the California Air Resources Board (CARB) Works | HowStuffWorks

#79 JimboPalmer, Jul 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  20. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I thought Birmingham is in Alabama...

moto g(7) power ?