1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured California APPROVES Aftermarket Catalytic Converters!

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by fullylaced1, May 3, 2021.

1. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Why are we being told that Tesla violates our right to repair but you're saying that you can order and received Tesla parts? Also, you have the Tesla diagnostic computer?

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I don’t need the diagnostic computer for my work. For example an underbody fiber-plastic water and sound shield.

Bob Wilson

douglasjre likes this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I've heard of people ordering replacement door handles. So body parts and maybe components outside of the car's network, like suspension bits, seem to be accessible.

That said, Tesla has lobbied against right to repair laws in at least one state; Mass. IIRC.

4. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  5. Ledogboy

Ledogboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey all-
    I found this thread while doing some searching, and it seemed like as good a place to ask this question as any. My 2012 Prius had the catalytic converter and coolant line cut out last week. I am being told there is a five month wait for a CA compatible Cat, and my rental car is only covered for 20 days- not good. As it happens, I recently bought a home and began the process of moving to Oregon. My question: can I tow the Prius to OR and have a federal cat installed? My mechanic in CA didn’t think the fed unit would work due to the coolant running through it, but from what I am seeing, the entire generation has that? If anyone could confirm that the federal cat is compatible, I would really appreciate it.
    Cheers,
    Ryan

Kampy likes this.
  6. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The car will function OK without an exhaust pre-heater. The car's heater will take longer to heat up and there will be a drop in mileage as the ICE will take longer to heat up.

Samantha Los Angeles likes this.
  7. Ledogboy

Ledogboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ahh- so if I understand you, that coolant line is part of the exhaust preheated and does not exist in the federal version? Thanks for the response!

8. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Everything eventually needs a repair. How do we get our hands on a computer to diagnose a Tesla

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A. Get a job at a Tesla service center.

There are about two orders of magnitude fewer moving parts in a Tesla compared to an internal combustion engine (ICE.) Worse, the Masters of Business Administration (MBA) managers have outsource nearly every part of the ICE to dozens of subcontractors who also subcontract the parts they assemble in components, A computer that plugs into the car is necessary to make sense of the cacophony of ICE parts trying to disassemble themselves. But a Tesla works differently.

In another forum, we have been reverse engineering how a Tesla works:
    Diagnostic Port and Data Access | Tesla Owners Online Forum

1 - 20 of 2083 Posts
    Discussion Starter · #1 · Jul 2, 2018 (Edited)

Summary: updated Oct 2, 2019
    This thread is our attempt to acquire and decode performance and other data from the serial networks in the Model 3.
    We finally gained access, recorded data, and decoded a lot of powertrain CAN data in early 2019.
    But there's still a lot more unknown! Additional help would be appreciated from any data and software folks.
    Please follow along in the thread to see progress, or skip towards the end to jump into current discussions.
    , , ,

There are multiple computers, often pairs that run in parallel so if one fails, the other takes over. There are multiple communication busses and we've seen software updates that have moved some communications to other busses. So there is no fixed, single failure systems to communicate with a traditional diagnostic computer. A Tesla is not traditionally designed ICE but a collection of processors and evolving software. Old style diagnostics and thinking won't work.

So if you want access to a Tesla diagnostic computer, get a job at a Tesla Service center. Tesla computers are part of a network including the software. Isolating their 'diagnostic computer' without the Tesla network is at best, a game machine, but it is unlikely to work like a traditional ICE diagnostic computer. Tesla is the system.

Bob Wilson

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    He doesn't want the diagnostic computer on the car, he wants a scan tool to pull codes when there is a problem. The important codes to keeping an OBD II equipped car running are standardized, and can be accessed by cheap third party units, or even a phone with an OBD connection.

Tesla's stance is following that of John Deere's, where the owner of the equipment doesn't have the right to not only fix it themselves, but also even take it to an independent shop. This has lead to pissed off customers ripping the JD control computers out, and replacing them with aftermarket for less than what JD was charging for the repair. When the time comes, they'll move on to a different brand.

11. AceJacob

AceJacob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    My cat converter got stolen 2 months ago and car is still sitting at Toyota dealership with no eta! Trying to find an alternate solution on getting a cat converter. Has anyone been successful lately?

12. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm confused because Rich Rebuilds says that Tesla won't sell parts to anybody

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No problem. I won't order Tesla parts from him.

Bob Wilson

14. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Why is the information you're giving me different from what everybody else is saying

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  16. theheapstoe

theheapstoe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is it just me, or are these prices getting out of control? I can't even buy the part for less than 2k?

douglasjre likes this.
  17. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm honestly confused about this because it is urban legend that you're not allowed to fix your own Tesla. You don't have access to the diagnostic computer and they will not sell parts to you as the end consumer. Why are we being told this if this is not the case? There's a whole editorial about rich rebuilds and how he has to get used parts from other Teslas because Tesla won't sell him parts. And a YouTube video about him we can even watch him get declined by Tesla when he requests parts. Please help me understand

18. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    There used to be a $100/day fee I believe, but if I’m seeing correctly they’ve changed that….

Tesla Service

19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I had no problem buying the parts I needed.

Has his own problems and I don't know what parts he was after. He has history trying to push the envelope.

Bob Wilson

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    there have been a number of YouTube videos showing how to less expensively repair cars. Tesla door handles come to mind. With the expensive cost of the auto extending/retracting Model S type, one particularly resourceful owner figured out how to repair them without having to incur the entire cost of a new handles. It is the case many times that when technical car owners have issues - there will be a personal challenge in solving such technical puzzles.
    The high-end headlights on the Gen 2 Prius comes to mind. Toyota was charging hundreds for the labor - just to remove the old ones - yet owners figured out a quicker way to do the deed.

Mendel Leisk likes this.