1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

California/CARB state plug change interval?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tkoegel, Dec 30, 2015.

Tags:
  1. tkoegel

tkoegel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A little research here turned up the fact that the service manual (which I do NOT own to verify) recommends that plugs be changed at 120K . . . but that in California and other states that follow CARB fuel rules the interval is 150K. I'm in California. At the last minor service on my 2007 Prius at 123K, and at the one prior, the dealer was pushing a plug change. I declined at the first offer and did the research that turned up the CARB vs. non-CARB distinction. When the dealer pushed it again, I challenged the service rep who said "120K is the interval" by saying "I had read that the CARB state interval is 150K." The rep got a bit cagey and said "oh, yeah, I see a 'C' mark by this line item but I don't see why the plugs would be different in one place rather than another." My understanding is that it's not the plugs, it's the fuel that the plugs are igniting. In any event, (a) am I right that the interval in CA is 150K and (b) that the dealer is just pushing unnecessary service by telling customers to change at 120K in California? Thanks for any thoughts. I know that changing plugs is, in the words of the old joke "chicken soup (couldn't hurt)." But it's annoying to be upsold by a dealer who clearly is in a position to know that the change is not required at 120K in California.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have not heard this before. most everyone changes them around 120k, but they usually aren't too bad. so if you're running good and mpg's are okay, no harm in waiting a little longer.

it's a pretty cheap service. if they are high, think about diy, or shop it around.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is true that the iridium spark plugs are the same in all Prius. It is also true that the recommended spark plug change interval is 150K miles in CA. However if I resided in CA I would change the plugs at 120K mile intervals. This is because my belief is that the extended change interval is more for regulatory reasons than for engineering reasons. Denso, as the original equipment manufacturer, has specified a 120K mile change interval on its website.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your missing the point. Most important part of the plug change is getting the plug out before it gets stuck. Its an aluminum head and pretty easy to damage the threads on one that just won't come out nice. Also very possible to get water down in the spark well and alot of corrosion forms. Lots of posts about that.

Real easy to f up the plug threads on one that won't come out nice after it sat in the engine for 10 years. The dealer would love that one.
    He'd be real cagey hitting you with a $2000 bill.

Btw, the igniters (cops) are end of life at 120,000 miles anyway. Rare that they will come out nice without a rip, or once you unseal it from the plug it will never seal well again, much less the metal spring contact remaining strong. The rubber boot will be pretty dried up after 10 years.
    Lots of posts about hairline cracks in the boot after pulling them. Car will throw lots of misfire codes and drive you nutty. Very common malady with a car that uses cops like most modern cars.

Plugs are cheap man. Its what happens chasing them that gets expensive especially the longer that you wait.

6. tkoegel

tkoegel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks, all, for the information. If the dealer had said the things that were said here--essentially, it's a 150K item in California but it's in your best interest to do it now--I might've gone for the charge. But I don't like being deceived. At the time of the next 5K interval I'll shop the plug work to an independent shop. Ed, regarding the igniters, are you saying that once I change the plugs I'll need to replace the igniters too?

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When the spark plugs are removed, the igniters should be inspected for cracking in the plastic body, rust stains, corrosion of the electrical contacts, etc. If there is a problem then replace the igniter. If there are no visible flaws and the engine ECU is not reporting any misfire codes then there is no reason to replace the igniters proactively.

The Classic Prius uses the same iridium spark plugs as G2. You are right that the published service interval is shorter at 60K miles. I think it would be OK to move to a 120K mile change interval with Classic unless P030x misfire DTC are logged.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Changing plugs are a simple DIY job, I wouldn't bring it to a dealer for that. The plugs run about $10 a piece and take about $20 minutes for a novice to change.

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, the spark igniters are AKA ignition coils.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At about 135k mine were pretty hard to get out...mostly caked grunge in the threads fought me the whole way out.

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There most commonly known as COPS. Coil on plug.

And there's plenty of reasons to replace the cop proactively. Its rare to pull a cop after 130,000 miles and it looks good enough to replace.
    Not to me. The boot will be dried up pretty good. You can't tell after you put it back on you've cracked the boot.

Your already paying to have the plugs replaced. Its no more labor to put a new cop back on and you've serviced the entire ignition system.
    Same labor. Good in that whole area for another 100K miles.Can you tolerate the car starting to throw misfires far from home or worse yet leave you or worse yet extended down time.

I got no time for that. Its like not replacing the plug wires when replacing the spark plugs on a regular car. That's stupid.

OEM cops are $85 each. Car will run great after new plugs and cops. DUN.